The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:52 pm 

usinoh wrote:
Dennis wrote:
The beauty of Jason X is it can play at either marathon. So if we really need to save space, show half at the horror, half at the SciFi. :lol:

I love the review if only for the opening paragraph.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20020426/REVIEWS/204260302/1023

You can't expect someone like Roger Ebert who has hated all the Friday the 13th movies to appreciate JASON X. For example I hate ALL country music so if I say George Straight sucks does my opinion even count? I have already said I hate ALL county music so why would my opinion on any single country artist even matter?

Fo the record, I don't agree with Ebert, at least not entirely about this movie. I just like the cleverness of the opening paragraph.

As for Suspiria, I did not attend either of the events where it had played and have been looking forward to catching it some day. Then I can finally have an educated (in theory) opinion about it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:05 pm 

so th columbus marathon is october the 18th. i have missed all or most of the last three horror marathons because they fell the night before the columbus marathon. i actually know 2 other people ( while not as enthusiastic about horror film as i am ) where the same situation happened to them. i was going to ask that you not have the horror marathon on saturday the 17th. and if theres any possibilty not the 16th either but that would be do-able, although screwing up my sleep right before a long distance run isnt the best of ideas. ive tried to see as many horror marathons ( 6 or 7 ? ) and science fictin marathons ( 4 or 5 ? ) and one trailor thon, and a few animation festivals , i think they are all great fun , and columbus needs a litle more campy and culture in it. but i spend half the year in colorado, and cant make most of the events i want to in both places. so if you havent chosen a date yet ( i saw on a post the 24th is a possibility, if so ill bring a bunch of people ) im just asking tht it not be on the night f the 17th. that would be the third one i didnt get to see, and id like to see them, all of them, from now on.

let me know if you can do anything

thanks

james skatanic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:51 pm 

Dennis wrote:
usinoh wrote:
Dennis wrote:
The beauty of Jason X is it can play at either marathon. So if we really need to save space, show half at the horror, half at the SciFi. :lol:

I love the review if only for the opening paragraph.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20020426/REVIEWS/204260302/1023

You can't expect someone like Roger Ebert who has hated all the Friday the 13th movies to appreciate JASON X. For example I hate ALL country music so if I say George Straight sucks does my opinion even count? I have already said I hate ALL county music so why would my opinion on any single country artist even matter?

Fo the record, I don't agree with Ebert, at least not entirely about this movie. I just like the cleverness of the opening paragraph.

As for Suspiria, I did not attend either of the events where it had played and have been looking forward to catching it some day. Then I can finally have an educated (in theory) opinion about it.

I think it is amusing that there is two semi-arguments going on inside this thread and one is about Suspiria and the other is about Jason X. Two movies on different ends of the spectrum...
BTW, I just want it for some Goblin!!!

groucho marx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Just waitin' on some film titles here...anytime now, right?......

Greetings from Nightmarathon Central, tucked away somewhere in the hills of Transylvania. Sorry for the lack of updates as of late. Bruce and I have a few titles locked in, but there are possible other films that might change the lineup somewhat, so we're holding off on announcing anything officially. Hopefully, by this time next week...or a few days later...we'll have a good idea of what most of the lineup will look like. Also, we're going to tentatively put tickets on sale sometime late next week or so; be on the lookout for updates. If you're on the e-mail list, we'll be sending something to you. Or, you could always check this forum, where all the most up to date news will be posted. Until then, stay scared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 am 

I like SUSPIRIA. It's purty and has Jessica Harper in it. Meeeee-ow!

Oh, and it's also a good film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:18 am 

Joe Neff wrote:

R.I.P. Roger and Stephen aka Fly Boy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:39 am 
Site Admin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbAc-qVx25A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 am 

How about 120 Days of Sodam Cannibals and Jungle Holocust? 120 Days never play at the Horror thon and not a horror movie in the classical sense. I do want to see Night of the Creeps since the remake is comming out. The print should be availble since it was screen at the Alamo Drafthouse earlier this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Check out the benefit/horrorfest on the right. Wow, talk about gut churning! And willcail have you seen SALO? It's presence in the Marathon lineup would be, um, divisive...and that's probably a gross understatement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:04 am 

Salo would be a bad, bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:42 am 

Oh yes I have seen SALO twice already. It is a vile sick film that make me loose faith in humanity. I owned the reissue DVD from Criterion. I wouldn't mind seeing it with the marathon crowd. When I first seen the ''film'' I was more shock to see the MGM logo. How many cannibal movies that the horror thon shown over the years? Because of SALO,the two girl's one cup video didn't shock me. because of SALO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:15 am 

Salo is a really fascinating film and one worth watching and discussing, but I'm not sure a marathon is the best venue for it. It's a serious film, not grade-z expolitation cannibal schlock and it would be odd to sandwich it in-between, say Evil Dead and Kung Fu Cannibals, for instance. I wouldn't be as concerned about the people it would repulse as I would be about the people who'd inevitably mock it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:04 pm 

I told a friend of mine that the "two girl's one cup" video was fake just so he would watch it and than I told him it was real...he about puked...needless to say I laughted at his misery because thats what friends do. I have never seen the video myself because I was warned in advance :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:17 pm 

usinoh wrote:
I told a friend of mine that the "two girl's one cup" video was fake just so he would watch it and than I told him it was real...he about puked...needless to say I laughted at his misery because thats what friends do. I have never seen the video myself because I was warned in advance :shock:

Actually it was fake in the sense that it was staged by using cake and brownie batter..Several friends who are in special effects broke it down step by step..I'll save the gory details but lets say there was batter injection...Still vile LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:24 pm 

Salo opted for chocolate and orange marmalade. Clips are on YouTube for the uninitiated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next