The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:38 am 

Joe Neff wrote:

-A stylish, erotic chiller (which is similar in tone to several other stylish, erotic chillers that have played at Marathons past) whose star also featured in two of the landmark films of modern avant garde cinema, both of which have screened at the Wexner Center in the past year.

Daughters of Darkness
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067690/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:17 am 

Joe Neff wrote:

-A rare 35mm print of a classic stylistic tour de force by a legendary genre master.

First guess: Suspiria.

How long has it been since it played? Was it a 35 mm print when it did? Argento is most definitely a legend and Suspiria would qualify as a "stylistic tour de force" in my book.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:47 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

-A title that is not horror in the classic sense, but which is renowned for its disturbing material, over the top tone, and memorable performances by a legendary British actor and actress.

Very out-there guess:

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.

I'd be (pleasantly) shocked if this actually is it, but mulling over the clue, this seems to fit all the requirements. Not classic horror, some disturbing elements no doubt, definitely over-the-top and headlined by Michael Gambon and Helen Mirren, both of whom are excellent.

Plenty for the horror crowd to like, but some may find it tedious too.

Alright, I'm guessed out now. The first one is definitely Henry. I have no guesses for the other clues -- too broad for me to narrow down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:05 pm 

not worldsfinest wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

-A rare 35mm print of a classic stylistic tour de force by a legendary genre master.

First guess: Suspiria.

How long has it been since it played? Was it a 35 mm print when it did? Argento is most definitely a legend and Suspiria would qualify as a "stylistic tour de force" in my book.

NO NO GOD PLEASE NO!!! I realize "Suspiria" has a huge following but the only available print is the hacked up U.S. Release which struck out both times it's played at 24 hour horror marathons. If you feel the need to bring back a movie from the 1st annual Night of the Living Drexel please make it "HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL"

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:19 pm 

"House On Haunted Hill" would be very nice indeed!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:53 am 

usinoh wrote:
NO NO GOD PLEASE NO!!! I realize "Suspiria" has a huge following but the only available print is the hacked up U.S. Release which struck out both times it's played at 24 hour horror marathons.

Struck out? Really?

Not that I'm advocating for Suspiria playing again here - personally, I feel that since it's already played twice, I'm fine without it. I'm a big fan of diversity in the line-up, and so, not generally into films playing multiple times. BUT, I have to wonder about your recollection of Suspiria "striking out" on previous screenings. I remember it being a big hit (albeit with a vocal minority who didn't like it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:56 am 

You know, with a 24 hour timeframe, and the average horror film running at around an hour and a half, that leaves plenty of time for a long requested film such as, oh I don’t know … JASON X!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:33 am 

The beauty of Jason X is it can play at either marathon. So if we really need to save space, show half at the horror, half at the SciFi. :lol:

I love the review if only for the opening paragraph.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20020426/REVIEWS/204260302/1023

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:00 pm 

Dennis wrote:
The beauty of Jason X is it can play at either marathon. So if we really need to save space, show half at the horror, half at the SciFi. :lol:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20020426/REVIEWS/204260302/1023

You can't expect someone like Roger Ebert who has hated all the Friday the 13th movies to appreciate JASON X. For example I hate ALL country music so if I say George Straight sucks does my opinion even count? I have already said I hate ALL county music so why would my opinion on any single country artist even matter?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:04 pm 

scottcoz wrote:
usinoh wrote:
NO NO GOD PLEASE NO!!! I realize "Suspiria" has a huge following but the only available print is the hacked up U.S. Release which struck out both times it's played at 24 hour horror marathons.

Struck out? Really?

Not that I'm advocating for Suspiria playing again here - personally, I feel that since it's already played twice, I'm fine without it. I'm a big fan of diversity in the line-up, and so, not generally into films playing multiple times. BUT, I have to wonder about your recollection of Suspiria "striking out" on previous screenings. I remember it being a big hit (albeit with a vocal minority who didn't like it).

At the very first Horror Marathon at the Drexel North most everyone either slept during Suspiria or shouted comments like "oh my god will this ever end" and no that was not me who shouted that :) and when it played at the Studio I was at the snack bar when I heard some guy asking "did anyone bother watching this before booking it" not to mention almost all the gore is cut out of the American print. If Joe or Bruce could get a mint condition full cut print than it may be worth another showing but if it's the same hacked up poor American print than my opinion it's not worth another showing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:08 pm 

usinoh wrote:
Dennis wrote:

You can't expect someone like Roger Ebert who has hated all the Friday the 13th movies to appreciate JASON X. For example I hate ALL country music so if I say George Straight sucks does my opinion even count? I have already said I hate ALL county music so why would my opinion on any single country artist even matter?

Sure your opinion counts. Just because one doesn’t agree doesn’t make an opinion invalid. It’s the reasons why that matter. Why would you only want to read/hear opinions of those who agree? Disagreement, I think, helps sharpen ones own opinions.

Nothing wrong with a profound dislike of Friday the 13th or country music or McDonald’s food or whatever, provided one has reasonable reasons. :)

He gave the recent remake 2 stars, for what that's worth. Average, but hardly bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Alright, now; enough of the annual SUSPIRIA bashing from certain camps (and you do know who you are....ahem.) Here's what I know:

1. I wasn't at the 1st Night of the Living Drexel, where SUSPIRIA made its Marathon bow, so I have no first hand knowledge of how it went over. However, the limited number of friends and acquaintances I have who were there mostly confirm what Scott stated: that there was a vocal minority who hated it, but that it didn't necessarily bomb. Although part of that may have had to do with the sleepers. More on that in a sec.

2. I sat wide awake through the screening at the 1st Nightmare at Studio 35...in the theater, I may add, Tim. None of this snack bar hangin' for me. (And who was this mysterious gent who cried foul while you were there? Are you sure you weren't just talking to yourself in the large mirror behind the Studio bar? Hmmmm....the plot thickens.) Anyway, the general feedback I received was fairly positive. The in-theater reaction was pretty quiet. Although part of that may have had to do with the sleepers. Because...

3. Yes, SUSPIRIA played in the wee hours of the morning at both Marathons. Now, take a film that is, admittedly, not for everyone, and plug it into that slot and you're bound to get some naysayers...or sleepers. And that's fine. Hell, one of the reasons I programmed it was because it's not a film for anyone (same with DON'T LOOK NOW, THE HUNGER, etc.) But that doesn't mean it's not a worthy addition to a Marathon lineup.

4. Yes, the U.S. cut is missing some key footage. But only the most extreme moments of gore are missing, and quite frankly, the two times I've seen this cut in a theater the edits haven't fully affected by enjoyment of the film. In any form, SUSPIRIA isn't about the gore; it's a about the mood, the atmosphere, the nightmare logic (logic that, admittedly, is pushed further by the excision of most of the blind pianist subplot in the domestic version.) In any decent shape, it's a primal experience by a master in element.

Now, the above defense should not be construed as ANY indication that SUSPIRIA will be playing at the Marathon...or any indication that it will NOT be playing at the Marathon. But anytime I can get on the soapbox and defend one of my favorites, I'll take the chance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:34 am 

usinoh wrote:
struck out
?

I was working at the DN when Suspiria ran at the first horror marathon, and I don't remember any complaints. As Joe has noted, it was in a late slot when many take the opportunity to re-charge (read: sleep). And everyone else is running on caffeine.

Maybe once enough time has passed, Joe and Bruce can give it another shot earlier in the marathon. Maybe for repeats, the rule of thumb could be, "if it showed in the second 12 hour block the last time, it shows in the first 12 hour block this time. And vice-versa."

David

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:52 am 

nedron wrote:
usinoh wrote:
struck out
?

Maybe once enough time has passed, Joe and Bruce can give it another shot earlier in the marathon. Maybe for repeats, the rule of thumb could be, "if it showed in the second 12 hour block the last time, it shows in the first 12 hour block this time. And vice-versa."

I like this idea. As for Suspiria, It's a great and classic movie that's not for everyone. If you like your horror about plot and gore, then it's not for you-though I defy ANY horror fan to not like the first 10 minutes. It sucks that the only prints available (that I've ever seen at least) are the hacked up versions, so in that regard I'd say avoid it and get something that hasn't played before.

Every year there's something that people whine about. One year it was subtitled films (which eliminates about 90% of the best horror of the last decade). There's always a slow movie that people complain about. I used to be one of those people-back in high school. I remember purposely sleeping through The Hunger and Rosemary's Baby, but then I went back and revisited the movies and love them. I already loved Don't Look Now before that played, but admittedly it's not for everyone-especially at 3am. I'd like to think that I'm not the only one that hated a movie at the marathon, only to go back and find new appreciation for it. As much fun as Jason X is, when that finally plays there's going to be a lot of people hating it. There are people that will absolutely HATE "Henry" if that plays, doesn't stop it from being a great movie.

Joe and Bruce have always been masters at balancing the lineup and now that they have 24 hours, I put my trust in them. the 10pm-noon was too little, too late (starting at night). And didn't the Drexel Grandview always schedule a 2 and a half hour movie at 8pm, so the marathons couldn't even start until 11:00-11:30? It's great to see them being done right.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:30 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:

Joe and Bruce have always been masters at balancing the lineup and now that they have 24 hours, I put my trust in them. the 10pm-noon was too little, too late (starting at night). And didn't the Drexel Grandview always schedule a 2 and a half hour movie at 8pm, so the marathons couldn't even start until 11:00-11:30? It's great to see them being done right.

Hear, hear.

The variety Joe and Bruce bring has been excellent since I've been attending -- spanning decades, countries and styles. Not every title has been a hit with me, but the overall expereince always is a blast.

Reitterating my point about critics -- knowning what you don't like helps you appreciate what you do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next