The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, we're back!

So we've been biting our collective tongues for awhile, waiting to announce the big news about the return of the 24 Hour Horror Marathon. This whole process has been a blast so far. Heaps of credit should go to (former Drexel North manager) David Nedrow and his wife Jennifer, who have given Bruce and I the opportunity, theater and creative latitude to get this baby rolling again.

Anyway, my dropping of hints about prospective horrorthon titles seemed to be a popular topic last year, so here goes with another set of ever so vague clues about what you might see this October.

*We're currently looking very closely at three, count 'em, three films that have never played a Columbus Horror Marathon. They include:

-An oft-requested cult classic, infamous for its disturbing tone and performances. Its director went on to work with Robert De Niro, Kevin Bacon, Rebecca De Mornay and other Hollywood heavies.

-A stylish, erotic chiller (which is similar in tone to several other stylish, erotic chillers that have played at Marathons past) whose star also featured in two of the landmark films of modern avant garde cinema, both of which have screened at the Wexner Center in the past year.

-A classic work by an acknowledged master of the genre which, upon initial release, was regarded as a major disappointment, but which has garnered a major cult reputation in subsequent years.

*We're also looking at:

-A semi-obscure film by a (somewhat) legendary schlockmeister that probably hasn't played Columbus screens since its release several decades ago.

-A rare 35mm print of a classic stylistic tour de force by a legendary genre master.

-A title that is not horror in the classic sense, but which is renowned for its disturbing material, over the top tone, and memorable performances by a legendary British actor and actress.

(Note that these three titles may or may not have played at previous Columbus horrorthons.)

Vague enough for ya? Hopefully, this will keep you guessing until we have the official list. As well, there are many other titles we're looking over, in the hopes that we can deliver a monster lineup for this epic rebirth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:18 am 

Joe Neff wrote:

-A classic work by an acknowledged master of the genre which, upon initial release, was regarded as a major disappointment, but which has garnered a major cult reputation in subsequent years.

A Nightmare on Elm Street??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

*EXCITED!*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:19 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

-An oft-requested cult classic, infamous for its disturbing tone and performances. Its director went on to work with Robert De Niro, Kevin Bacon, Rebecca De Mornay and other Hollywood heavies.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Is Rebecca DeMornay really a "Hollywood heavy?"

Quote:
-A stylish, erotic chiller (which is similar in tone to several other stylish, erotic chillers that have played at Marathons past) whose star also featured in two of the landmark films of modern avant garde cinema, both of which have screened at the Wexner Center in the past year.

Repulsion

Quote:

This one is a little more vague than the others, but I'll go with Prince of Darkness or my second guess would be The Frighteners.
A Nightmare on Elm Street was never regarded as a "major disappointment."

The next series of clues are way too vague to venture a guess, but the "stylistic tour de force" could be Creepshow because that's where the picture is from.

What do I win?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:01 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
The next series of clues are way too vague to venture a guess, but the "stylistic tour de force" could be Creepshow because that's where the picture is from.

"Where's my cake, Bedelia?!!!" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:09 pm 

Man, I'd give my left... ahem... you know to see CREEPSHOW on the big screen. I was too young to catch it in it's theatrical run, but I remember being sucked in by the one-sheet and going out to buy the graphic novel tie-in. I read and re-read that thing so much that it fell apart. When the film finally came out on video, I made my Dad rent it for me. It was love at first sight. It has remained one of my all-time favorite Horror films. I did get to see CREEPSHOW 2 in the theaters, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

Dang it! See what you all have done? You've gotten my hopes up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:59 pm 

geekzapoppin wrote:
Man, I'd give my left... ahem... you know to see CREEPSHOW on the big screen. I was too young to catch it in it's theatrical run, but I remember being sucked in by the one-sheet and going out to buy the graphic novel tie-in. I read and re-read that thing so much that it fell apart. When the film finally came out on video, I made my Dad rent it for me. It was love at first sight. It has remained one of my all-time favorite Horror films. I did get to see CREEPSHOW 2 in the theaters, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

Dang it! See what you all have done? You've gotten my hopes up!

Don't EVER watch Creepshow 3, talk about a big steamy pile of $%!* it should be a crime to use a title like that to sell a dvd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:35 am 

geekzapoppin wrote:
When the film finally came out on video, I made my Dad rent it for me.

You mean he didn't throw it away, and say to your Mom, "That's why God made fathers, Babe. That's why God made fathers"? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:04 am 

Two words and a letter, Joe:

"Trick R Treat."

It would just be so perfect, and I'm sure sure Warner Bros. would toss a print over to coincide with the release of this on DVD.

Also, has "Burial Ground" been shown at marathons recently/ever? That film would be a blast for the marathon crowd, and there are available prints.

On a side note, we haven't been to a marathon since I moved back to NYC in 05, but we're definitely going to make it out for this one--its 24 hours, how couldnt we? If only there were beer like there was at the Studio, it'd be perfect...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:20 pm 

"What's a matter, Mr. Pratt? BUUUUGs got your tounge?"

Man, I could quote Creepshow all day.

But try this on for size: Can anyone identify the location of Bedelia's deadly ashtray in each of the four other stories?

First correct response gets a cookie.

On a side note, that was one of my favorite Punk bands in the '70s, "Bedilia's Deadly Ashtray." You know, before they became sellouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:03 pm 

The guesses so far make sense and are better than anything I was coming up with, so I'm not even going to try.

..and yes, wonderful as it may be, Burial Ground did just play at the marathon 2 or 3 years ago..

Psyched!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:08 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Man, I could quote Creepshow all day.

"He wanted to measure the bite marks. I guess he got his chance!" :)

Ok, but, to answer your question:
1) On Jordy Verrill's desk next to his money box,
2) On the nightstand Richard gets his gun from,
3) On Henry's desk as he writes his note to Wilma.... sorry... "Billy" :) ,
4) As Upton's soapdish,
aaaaand (even tho you only said in the other 4 stories),
5) In the kid's room, it can be seen in the background in the close-up shot of the kid stabbing his Dad's voodoo doll.

What kinda cookie do I get?

Oh, am I disqualified for cheating by using the internet? :) That was a good catch, Dale! I never noticed that that ashtray shows up in every segment, even though I've seen that movie probably 10 times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 pm 

"I drove down there with the remains of three human beings... Well, two human beings and Wilma."

Yes, you are disqualified for looking up the answer. My knowledge was acquired the old fashioned way after we noticed it on Richard's desk during my second theatrical viewing. That made me think "I wonder..."

The hardest one for us to spot was the one during "The Crate." That is the shortest of the 4, pardon me, 5 shots. It was very satisfying when we finally discovered it after nearly wearing out the video cassete tape (lol) we had.

One note of clarification: The "next to the money box" part is correct, but it is actually not Jordy's desk, but rather that of the prospective meteor purchaser "up at The College."

However, you get bonus points for pointing out it's location in the bookkend. All these years I never knew...sniff. Your cookie is in the mail. I've kept it in my pocket all day (next to the gummi bear) so it's nice and soft.

Did anyone else out there have previous useless knowledge of this easter egg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:50 am 

BloodPepsi wrote:

..and yes, wonderful as it may be, Burial Ground did just play at the marathon 2 or 3 years ago..

Psyched!

Damn. That film is just so brilliant and offers real life lessons. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:23 pm 

I always knew the ashtray was in each of the stories, but the only times I'd seen it were in "They're Creeping Up on You" and "Jordy Verril".

The Blu-Ray is coming out very shortly. Sadly, I think WB is just dumping it with no extras. The UK got a full-on special edition with commentary, deleted scenes, documentary, etc. Bummer.

I second TRICK-R-TREAT. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it. Plus, Anthology Films are my favorite, if you haven't guessed. Give me a good Amicus film any day over most of the crap being released now.