The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:49 am 

I have my baggie and insert as well, though the action figure has long gone on the endless journey to the Land of Fill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:43 am 

My slice went to the Land of Phil. Witch is a completely different time and place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:07 am 

WOW! Thank you! I will have to make my own programs now from your jpg's. I didn't make it to any of the 2-headed marathons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:57 pm 

I didn't discover the marathons until 2001, so I've got a lot of line-ups to try to copy in my living room.

Can anyone with the knowledge reveal - what were the Drexel mystery films in '88, '89, '93 and '94?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:22 pm 

My Night of the Living Bread "Action Figure" name was Frinchie. I wanted Jake number 2. For the die hard Marathonoids should get this very inside refernce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

Cody wrote:
Can anyone with the knowledge reveal - what were the Drexel mystery films in '88, '89, '93 and '94?

1988-The Ohio Premiere of Ken Russell's Lair of the White Worm

1989-According to my records, it was Dark Angel, which was later retitled I Come in Peace

1993-A somewhat complicated situation. The Drexel had been pursuing Guillermo del Toro's Cronos in the weeks leading up to the event, but seemingly to no avail. However, at the last minute a deal was struck, and it showed before Carnosaur. The Drexel also secured the Brian Yuzna-produced Ticks (a.k.a. Infested) as a premiere. It played second from last, replacing The Devil Rides Out (which still hasn't played at a Columbus Marathon.)

1994-George Romero's Dawn of the Dead...although if Richard Rubenstein comes calling, you didn't hear that from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:26 pm 

Thanks, Joe. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:02 am 

Was there also a surprise film at the 2000 Studio 35? I just noticed the movie-sized gap in the schedule between

Daughters of Dracula (4:30)

and

Twilight Zone (8:30)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

As a reminder to those of you who have visited the archives, we continue to fill in the blanks with descriptions, anecdotes, trivia and other such matters. So visit often, and see what new information has popped up. And make your own comments with our handy...um, comments function.

Also, if any of you have or have access to materials (including pictures) that aren't on the board, let us know. We're trying to work out an upload system for the future, but in the meantime, we'd love to add to what we already have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:46 pm 

When George A Romero was a guest at one of the Studio 35 horror thons they did screen a 16mm print of Dawn of the Dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:01 am 

Actually the secret premiere in 1989 was an unrated Deliver Us From Evil, which was later retitled Night Angel and trimmed for an R-rating. It's about Lilith the first wife of Adam and it's incredibly '80's. I've never seen the uncut version since, though the couple times I've caught the censored cut, it's a really TERRIBLE movie. It's the only other film directed by the guy who did Halloween 6, need I say more? But when I was 13 and going to my first marathon, just the idea of seeing an unrated movie with that much nudity and gore before it come out was pretty cool.

Dark Angel aka I Come in Peace was the premiere at the 1990 sci-fi marathon. I bet I'd still find it fun just because of the marathon memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:01 am 

I would't say Halloween 6 wasn't a terrible movie. I can say that Halloween Res. was worse than six. Then I don't hold Halloween II (the non Rob Zombie one) to be a good movie either. I do hope that Survival of the Dead will make it to the horror thon as a replacement to The Host or The Thing. (I do like both movies but I've seen them one to many times.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:03 am 

MEATFETISH wrote:
Dark Angel aka I Come in Peace was the premiere at the 1990 sci-fi marathon.

My memory may be bad, but didn’t the marathon attendees get to submit recommendations on what to retitle that movie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:50 am 

MarathonVet wrote:
MEATFETISH wrote:
Dark Angel aka I Come in Peace was the premiere at the 1990 sci-fi marathon.

My memory may be bad, but didn’t the marathon attendees get to submit recommendations on what to retitle that movie?

Yeah. I think everyone probably voted for I Come in Peace as that line was said about a dozen times in the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:46 pm 

I actually won the contest for I Come In Peace and was sent a autographed photo of Dolph personalized to me and a bunch of buttons.