The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:28 am 
Site Admin

This should be going up on the main page later today, but here, finally, is the FAQ section for this year's Marathon.

1. So what is this whole 24-hour Marathon exactly? Is there any running involved?

-The Annual Horror Marathon (and its sister Science Fiction Marathon) is a 24-hour film festival running continuously from Noon Saturday until Noon Sunday. It features classic fright flicks, rediscovered gems, recent raves, area premieres, coffinloads of trailers, short subjects, and other such cinematic fare.

2. So by continuous do you mean without intermissions?

-Intermissions occur between each feature film, usually lasting for around 10-15 minutes (depending on the time of day…or night….or by how far we might have fallen behind in the schedule.) We like to give you plenty of time to get up, stretch, chat with your cohorts, meet new people and, of course, patronize your local concession stand.

3. That was my next question. Will the concession stand be offering alternate fare, or will I be huffing down popcorn and soda for 24 hours?

-The Grandview Theatre’s newly refurbished concession stand will include standard theatre plus nachos, hot dogs, and pretzels. We will have donuts available Sunday morning. Pizza will be available for ordering and delivery. We are also planning to sell pain relievers, antacids, glasses wipes, etc., at the stand.

4. So can I bring in my own food?

-Hey, we’re trying to keep this filmic thing of ours going for awhile! While we won’t be employing a Homeland Security rep. to search your bags, we do ask that you refrain from bringing outside food, including fast food. Film rentals are notoriously expensive, especially in this day and age of increased shipping costs, and the Grandview won’t be seeing a huge return on those rentals from ticket sales alone. You can help! Patronize your local concession stand! Most theaters make their hay from said concessions sales, so do your part to keep the event (and the theatre) going by buying a hot dog…or a pizza…or both! Hey, you’re gonna be here for 24 hours.

5. Yeah, you’re right, I’ll be here for awhile. So will there be coffee?

-There will, in fact, be a steady flow of hot coffee throughout the event. But you can go one step further by purchasing the Official Shock Around the Clock Coffee Mug! For a mere $15, you can own a slick and stylish ceramic mug with UNLIMITED COFFEE REFILLS for the entirety of the event. That’s right: by the mug and you can pony up to the concession stand to get your caffeine fix as much as you want for the rest of the Marathon.

6. Hmmm…stimulants are good. But I keep hearing rumblings about alcohol being on sale at the Marathon. How about that?

-While the theater does have plans to sell alcohol at some point, as of this writing there are no definite plans to have it at this year’s Marathon. However, if that changes, we will post info on this site.

7. So how do I pay for all of this? Is the joint still cash only?

-The revived Grandview Theatre will (thankfully) enter the 21st century by accepting Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover cards. You should be able to run a tab throughout the event, as well.

8. Will there be a t-shirt for sale this year?

-Yes, indeed. We’ve once again commissioned nationally renowned graphic designer/rock poster artist extraordinaire Will Ruocco (who designed the snazzy tee and poster for the 1st Annual Incredible 2-Headed Marathon) to create this year’s Official Shock Around the Clock T-Shirt and Zippered Hoodie. And boy are they extra-snazzy. We really dig 'em, and trust me, we don’t impress easily. Plus, as at the 1st Incredible 2-Headed Marathon, there will also be a collectible screen-printed poster of the design available.

9. Okay, so I get the films, the shorts, the merchandise, the food, the coffee. What if I have to leave for awhile?

-Well, we might give you a bit of grief for temporarily abandoning this 24-hour odyssey of terror, but if you must you can come and go as you please, as long as you retain your stamped ticket and keep your wristband (which we’ll provide when you enter the crypt…er, theatre.)

\

10. Where can I park for the Marathon, especially if I’m going to stay for the entire time?

-Please car pool when possible. This will be a big help.

Most importantly, do not park on side streets. Most of these are permit parking only and you will be ticketed/towed.

The theatre has been working with local property owners and businesses to come up with parking that does not negatively impact our retail neighbors. We would like to be good neighbors, so we're asking that attendees park only in designated areas, one of which does NOT include the parking immediately adjacent to the theatre.

National City Bank on First Avenue is allowing us to use their lot. Please do not park in the west lot of the bank until after noon on Saturday. The east lot is fine, as is the area along the wall in the east lot.

The Wagenbrenner Company has graciously allowed us to use the empty lot across from the Grandview Heights Post Office (1391 Grandview Ave). We should be able to fit a lot of cars in there. We will try to have an attendant prior to noon on Saturday. You must present a marathon ticket to park in this lot.

We are working on additional parking areas, and will post a parking "map" by the night before the marathon.

Last edited by Joe Neff on Fri May 13, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:34 am 

Is there a schedule yet? I was thinking last night about how I'd program things and you really have your work cut out for you with this lineup, so many great movies and a couple of really dark movies that are decidedly non-kid friendly. Can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:41 am 

Any Specials on Popcorn or Soda?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

The home page has been updated with this info (for reference) ...

http://www.scifimarathon.com/Horror/info.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:40 pm 

You missed one...

11. Will there be nudity on and off screen

Yes there will tons of fun filled nudity on screen and if we can get Joe drunk there will be nudity off screen as well, maybe if we are lucky he will perform the classic hit "my dingaling" while he dances up and down the aisles :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:44 pm 

Wow I can't get that image out of my mind. The sad part is that it wouldn't surprise me if that happen. How many "tallboys" does get Joe Neff drunk? Five, ten, fifteen? The world will never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 pm 

Don't forget number twelve. Please wipe after going number 2 and wash the hands with soap. Wash hands after using the restroom. Will that BBQ ad make an apperance as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:20 am 

There is a small addition that please flush after use. Especially when going number two. I don't want to see another horror show in the mensroom. 13 There are new seats at thre Grandview. Treat them with respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am 

Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe.

Look at this

Quote:
The Annual Horror Marathon (and its sister Science Fiction Marathon)

You completely, absolutely, positively left out one word. One might say it was a large word. It goes right between its and sister.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:41 pm 

A lot goes in between when it comes to that particular sister... :wink:

Post subject: I don't drink coffee
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:53 am 

I can't drink coffee so I slurp down sugar free red bulls. Will you be selling these at the stand? And if not can I bring a few if I promise to buy a mug to pour them into?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:56 am 

I think he means no outside food or drink without exceptions. If you have a car and drink them during the intermissions then you be fine. I would think that they should stock some energy drinks.