The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2009 Recap
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:16 pm 

Drat, I wrote a response to this but my session timed out and I lost it. I had some outpatient surgery Monday, so the Percocet may appear here in the way of rambling or inarticulate comment.

Thanks for the comments, good and bad. Are we happy with how things turned out? Yes. Are we ecstatic? No. Clearly, there were issues -- both foreseeable and not -- that I could have responded to more quickly. Mea culpa.

I want to note that none of the problems you saw/heard/felt had anything to do with Bruce and Joe. They were organized and ready to go.

Dennis wrote:
Chaos seemed to be the order of the day. I think a lot of this is the result of a not fully finished theater.

I would agree in general. Jen and I were putting in 18+ hour days trying to get things finished up, but it just didn't happen. Zeke and others came over to lend a hand when they could, but once a couple of construction items -- and the seats -- fell behind, we were in "mitigation" mode.

Dennis wrote:
It was what it was. I was really hoping the theater would be a little further along. I realize the seating was not Dave's fault. I always sit in the middle and get in line early so I never tried out the other seats. The "regular" seats were fine.

I know others may take issue with this, but the metal folding chairs are reasonably comfortable. We used these for the Manhattan Short, and I've been using them as office chairs -- sitting for 12 hours at a time in some cases -- and if I had any doubt that they would be reasonably serviceable for the marathon, I would have gone out and bought several dozen couches on Friday. Jennifer and I are grateful that attendees were willing to "live" with them for this 'thon.

Dennis wrote:
Big thumbs up for the bathroom. It was always clean, and while the regular hand towels ran out, there were always paper towels of some sort to dry your hands.

These -- the bathrooms -- were #1 on our list of things to have done for the marathon. Given the makeup of the marathon audience, eel may still have to swap bathrooms in the future. A lot of effort went into figuring out how to fit more capacity in each side, and I think they worked out better than we expected.

Dennis wrote:
Also the lights reflecting off the top of the middle urinal hardware make what look like alien eyes on the wall. Fortunately I don't get bothered by that kind of thing and thought it was cool.

Heh, I noticed this when they finally put the light fixtures in. I had the same thought -- "cool".

Dennis wrote:
The decorations were very nice, the advantage of not having everything done, it was probably a bit easier to so some of the things they did.

I was bummed, because we could have done a big mural on the back and front walls of the auditorium. Stuart Gordon said we should leave the theatre the way it is. Maybe we'll just hang Austrian curtains along the walls that we can then retract for the marathons. ;)

Dennis wrote:
The "concession stand" can only get better. For some reason, I have no problem paying $5 when my soda comes out of a fountain, but when I see it come out of a 2 liter I can buy for $.99-$1.39 it is more troubling.

Yeah, this was sub-optimal. We only did it because that's how CAPA does pop at their remote stations. Since we don't have a our permanent food license yet, our only other option would have been a portable dispenser which would have limited us to just a couple of flavors. Thanks for buying pop just the same. All the money we brought in for the marathon is going directly to concession equipment.

Dennis wrote:
But back to the concession stand. The folks working it were very nice, but the line seemed slow. I think a big part of it was the lack of the fountain. … Peanut but no plain M&Ms. … It did seem like the line got a bit quicker in the evening, maybe it was just shorter or maybe it was the young woman that came in to work.

The lack of a fountain was a major time killer. As for the candy selection, we asked Gold Medal for their top selling items. I guess -- even though it's an obvious oversight -- regular M&Ms didn't make the cut. Though the Mike & Ikes apparently sold well. The lack of space at the stand was a definite contributor to lack of selection, candy-wise. Thankfully, several people who have worked concession stands -- including for marathons -- showed up later in the day and got the stand organized. That really sped it up. Jen was acting as Stuart Gordon's "wrangler", so she just ended up not having enough time to get the stand together. Thank goodness for Holly, Anna, Beth, etc.

Dennis wrote:
Related to the concession stand, the pizza was good and the ordering, and the fact we could customize pizzas, was great. My friend doesn't eat beef so usually I am stuck with cheese pizza, but we were able to get half pepperoni and half pepper. I hope they are the regular suppliers.

Cowtown did a great job and I really liked the sliced sausage they used. Mmmm. We'll look at adding some of their other items, like stromboli, etc., for next year. We'll also come up with a system for notifications of arrival. Text messaging maybe. Or a flashing pizza beside the screen. ;)

Dennis wrote:
The projection also will get better. I hope. It really wasn't that bad, focus and framing issues were resolved quickly. The sound issue in From Beyond took a while to resolve as did the Blue Ray issue with I Sell the Dead. In general it just seemed that the breaks were long and it seemed like, perhaps unfairly, that it was the booth.

I think you could fairly say it was the booth, more specifically, me. We got the projector serviced on Friday and a new bulb installed. We're a little concerned about the lamphouse, so once I ignited the lamp for the first show, I let it run for the whole 24 hours. It was awkward working around that. The one thing that worked perfectly was our new Kinoton spool tower. That is one slick piece of kit. I've nicknamed it "Sputnik" because of all the pieces that stick out of it.

And I want to make sure that everyone knows how much help Dave Zecchini and Brian Berry were in the booth. I sort of "press ganged" them into helping.

Dennis wrote:
Temperature was good. Got a wee bit warmer around From Beyond but then got better.

One of the things we did during the renovations was have the thermostats in the auditorium swapped out for remote sensors, with the controls in the booth. Joe would text us when people noted environmental problems, so hopefully this helped keep it relatively comfortable.

Dennis wrote:
Oh, sounds seemed to bleed in from the lobby I assume when the sound stuff is up on the walls, that will be reduced.

It's also possible part of this was from the booth. Once we get our ports in, that will block the booth noise. As for lobby noise, most of the sound attenuation material is already up. The back wall of the auditorium, and the entire outside of the new projection soffit is encased in a product called QuietRock. The soffit also has multiple layers of sound batting in it. I suspect the lobby noise you were hearing was actually just coming through the doors. We're going to be replacing these with self-sealing acoustically quiet doors. That's about all that can be done.

-David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:34 am 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
I too would be disinclined to add "Horror" to the list for Irreversible, but in a Marathon which features Henry it seems appropriate enough.

But Henry had a purpose. Henry let you see into the mind of a killer. Irreversible seemed like it just wanted to be as disturbing and difficult to watch as possible. No entertainment value, just "let’s see how much torture and torment the audience can take."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:57 am 
Site Admin

I think Irreversible has a purpose ... it's intention is to show how actions breed reactions, how actions have consequences (often unintended,) how a true miscarriage of justice can be bred from the simplest of mistakes, and how unbridled passions can cause the most traumatic results, even with understandable motives.

It does this by telling its story in reverse, so the brutality of the rage and rape are shocking when they appear, but are amplified when taken in the final context (which we as the observer do not learn till the end.) It's a clever enough device, and interesting to watch.

I'm still not sold that it's Horror. I still didn't like (what I saw) of the shaky-cam and the pseudo-random styling, and overall I'm not 100% sure it makes its points ... but I do think I see the intent behind the film.

And it's still a projectionist's nightmare. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:44 am 

Asking as a total layman: what do you mean by a projectionist nightmare?

Is it because it is difficult for the projectionist to figure out the chronology of the plot (going backwards in time) versus the chronology of the story (going forward)?

I don't really have much of an idea of what goes on in a projection booth, other than splicing in trailers, putting the film in the machine, and pressing play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:37 pm 

theburningficus wrote:
One thing I didn't see get touched on much in the comments was our Skype call with Kevin O'Brien. From a technical standpoint, I think it was pretty astounding. It really opens up, after suffering through previous pre-taped intros & cringe-inducing guest interviews, what the marathon can/could/should do. And was nice to Kevin placed in the Hall of Fame. Probably won't get him off his butt to do another film <g> but he looked to enjoy it a great deal (getting to mess with sleep-deprived marthoners was probably a plus, too. Heh.)

Forgot to mention that. It was an awesome surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

rotorueter wrote:
Asking as a total layman: what do you mean by a projectionist nightmare?

Typically a film comes broken down on anywhere from 4-6 reels, which have to be spliced together before they're run in a continuous stream through the projector. At any point in those junctions, you can have the film get accidentally flipped the wrong way (soundtrack on the wrong side), put on in reverse (the section then shows upside-down and backward), you can have a head or a tail in there that should have been removed, etc (big section of white on screen that shouldn't be there.)

Usually the biggest cues for double-checking things come from the film itself. Is the logo going the correct direction, do the credits read right, is the person on screen at the end of this reel the same as the person at the beginning of the next reel? Most of this is just the projectionist looking at the film and saying, "Yeah, that looks right."

The ends (and beginnings) of the reels for Irreversible were basically just blackout, with very little in front of them (or sometimes several dozen feet in) that gave ANY clue whatsoever where you were in the film. The credits have text in multiple languages, some forward, some backward, some BOTH. The opener of the film looks deliberately flipped in spots, the ending of the film fades to black but isn't finished, then goes into that deliberate epilepsy-inducing strobe effect.

By the time it was all over, I didn't know which way was up. I wasn't even sure we'd shown the darned thing correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:19 am 

I sadly had a bad time due to some serious blood sugar levels..A few quick points i found the folding chairs to be quite wonderful being 6'3 and having diabetic neropathy it was refreshing to have leg room and not be in pain.

I kinda dug the unfinished look of the theatre reminded me of a slasher film set lol. I have to give many kudos to everyone that busted ass to make the 'thon go off. And the 2 liter pop was not an issue with me (they had Diet Mt Dew) YAY

I only wish i could have spent more time watching movies instead of my blood sugar meter hell i even missed the shout out for my companys prize give a way..but then again i do that more to support our little community then praise.

I am i am so loving my new zipper hoodie as well.

Oh a weird side note i got sick when i got home went to the Doc and was told i have the H1N1 swine flu..so that may be the reason for the blood sugar issues. But i believe the marathon was a wonderful thing and brought back a feeling of our old home and i am looking forward to this new home and new chapter for both the Horror and Sci-Fi marathons..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Oh, just wanted to also say "thanks!" to everyone who purchased the Officially Authorized Bootleg Bread DVD, and we hope everyone enjoys them. If there were people who missed the chance to purchase, I believe there are some left ... send me a message here (or at vitruvianzeke@att.net) and for a nominal shipping fee, I'm sure something can be worked out.

And thanks AGAIN for voting Bread into the Hall of Fame. Came as a total surprise to Kevin, and me for that matter. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:17 am 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
I think Irreversible has a purpose ... it's intention is to show how actions breed reactions, how actions have consequences (often unintended,) how a true miscarriage of justice can be bred from the simplest of mistakes, and how unbridled passions can cause the most traumatic results, even with understandable motives.

Good point, sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:20 am 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
just wanted to also say "thanks!" to everyone who purchased the Officially Authorized Bootleg Bread DVD, and we hope everyone enjoys them.

I purchased one, and I LOVE it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:54 am 

A little late posting my thoughts, but here I go:

I loved the unfinished look of the theater. It was perfect atmosphere for the return of the marathon. Years past when the SF marathon was at the Arena Grand or wherever and it was a slick modern theater, it just never felt right. If I wasn't such a fan of the marathon and Bruce and Joe, I would probably complain about the projection problems and such. But honestly, I know how tough it is to get these off the ground, and I know how many obstacles have been thrown in the way over the years. So it's just great to have a new home with owners as responsive to us as the new owners. If I lived in town, I'd go out of my way to support the theater and drive a little farther to see movies in the future. Hopefully when I return for the holidays, I'll get to see the finished theater.

Not much to say about the Black Cat. It's always good to see an old "classic", because I'd never watch that otherwise.

The Host is a lot of fun. It could definitely be shorter, but I think the audience really enjoyed it.

Masque of the Red Death is such a beautiful film. I'm glad the audience liked it as much as they seemed to. First saw it at a chicago marathon 4 years ago, and it's my favorite Price/Poe movie.

The Sue Harshie music thing was really good. I liked it a lot more this time than when 16 Bitch Pile Up or whatever played

From Beyond is a great movie, and I'm glad it was a print. The week before in Chicago, they played the DVD-I'm guessing because the host thought it was better to see the director's cut. To be honest there's just not enough difference to justify not playing the print (which was beautiful despite sound problems). Now if it was an R-rated Dead/Alive print verses the unrated DVD, I'd probably go for DVD.

Stuart Gordon was so friendly and cool. Great guest.

Irreversible... I was surprised by how much I liked it. I don't love it, but I expected to hate it and was actually afraid to see it. Is it a horror movie? No. But it had easily the 2 most horrific scenes of any movie that played the marathon. I'm surprised more people didn't walk out. I would actually like to rewatch the first half of the film, now that I know the chronology of the events. I'd probably skip the rape scene though. I haven't watched that much of a movie from between my fingers since I was six and saw Friday the 13th on cable for the first time. Had to plug my ears for much of it too.

I'm actually against the grain with I Sell the Dead. I liked it enough but I didn't love it like some did. I thought the humor was uneven and the scares were too few and far between. To be fair, I did have a couple of head snaps during it though. Probably won't get the dvd.

Day of the Dead was my highlight this year. Great movie. Period. Beautiful print. Got my second wind.

Henry was a tough one to stay awake at this point. I'd say I saw about half of it. Luckily I saw a print of it about 3 years ago. Great print, great movie. Was that a 16mm print or just full frame 35mm? I remember being turned away from the Drexel North box office when I was 14 and it opened there. Though not as shocking today, it still packs a punch.

Werewolf Vs. the Vampire Woman really knocked me out. I was awake for about the first half hour and that was it for me. I still say it's better than any of the Underworld films. I can just picture that accountant/studio executive greenlighting UNderworld: "Vampires and werewolves!!! Let's dress them up in leather and have them shoot each other! The kids will love it!" Stupid series. At least someone with heart (no talent) made Werewolf vs. Vampire Woman. I can accept a turd like this if it costs $20 to make. But when they cost $50 million to make and aren't any better-that's inexcusable. I yield the soapbox.

Daughters of Darkness was not what I was expecting. Really I expected more T & A. But it was beautifully shot and I'm glad I saw it at a marathon.

I was really looking forward to Q, because I'd never seen it in its entirety. C'est la vie.

The Thing is simply one of the best movies ever made. I saw it as a midnight movie a couple months ago. I'll watch the blu-ray during the first snow. It just never gets old.

Great time. Great seeing some old friends. Hope I can make it next year to the sci-fi and beyond...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:38 pm 

Josh Roxxx wrote:
But i believe the marathon was a wonderful thing and brought back a feeling of our old home and i am looking forward to this new home and new chapter for both the Horror and Sci-Fi marathons..

Ok, I've seen a couple of comments in this vein. Is the Sci-Fi marathon moving to the Grandview as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

My understanding is that Jeff and Bruce plan to hold the Sci-Fi at the Drexel again this year, but I'm not sure how far along they are, so anything could still happen. Nothing official as yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:15 pm 

Dave, thanks for going thorugh point by point. Man I seem whiny when you do it that way. :) I did have a great time and I look forward to next year and maybe some things around the holidays. Maybe if you have some interesting holiday movies. Hey, I know an unconventional holiday movie festival.

Die Hard
The Thin Man
Scrooged
Lethal Weapon
Batman Returns
Gremlins
The Ref
Tokyo Godfathers
Nightmare Before Christmas
The Apartment
Joyeux Noël

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:43 am 

Turn that into a marathon and I'm there, lol.