The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:01 am 

....Atleast thats what one writer thinks. Below is a link to a site where one of the people who attended this years movie marathon does a review of the event:

http://scottwoods.livejournal.com/323794.html

Personally I think all comments were done to make people laugh not to offend or be racist but thats my opinion and no I wasn't one of the people making comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:49 am 

I tend to agree with you. I didn't throw out any comments at that point, either. Interesting he didn't mention the high pitched comments for Barbara Crampton's character.

Two other points, he said he wasn't suprised or offended. Outside of those comments and Q not showing he seemed to really enjoy the marathon.

Was he the guy in the Kilt? I'm looking at his online pictures and it doesn't seem to match with what I remember that guy looking like, but I thought he was the one that asked the why is Lovecraft hard to do sometimes questions. He looks to be an intersting guy, big into poetry. I love the line he is the author of over 9 books. Joe should look into seeing if he could craft a poem for the event. Should include the word Fritos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:34 pm 

I don't think it's kilt guy. Could be wrong, but I was near him during the Q&A and think that question came from the other side of the regular seats.

The Foree dubbers didn't say anything too bad. I did wonder how the voice would go over with the black members of the audience, but "horror fans are secretly racist" is quite an overreaction. But he's hooked on marathons now, so... Happy ending, I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:52 pm 

Hello all,

I was signing up for this forum on principle because I enjoyed the marathon this year a lot (my first!), when I noticed my LiveJournal entry about it had been linked here. As awesome as that is, I do think it somewhat unfortunate that this part of the whlle diatribe is the part that generated discussion.

Clarification: I do not actually believe ALL horror fans are racist. If that's true, then so am I. I can see how reading that part out of one post out of a journal that's been running for years by someone no one at the marathon remotely knows might catch an eye, but it's not a comment without context.

That said, it bears noting that the inherent racism and sexism of horror films traditionally is more a statement about the genre and not about the fans. Yet, like in any other public situation, you'll always have people who don't quite get it and you'll get some stuff said out loud that might not be appropriate for everyone if an opportunity presents itself. As a black horror fan, this doesn't surprise me and this kind of ignorance doesn't generally offend me. It's kind of like being mad at the one rampant Buckeye fan who shouts at the players in the middle of the Horseshoe; what did you expect?

Again, I had no expectations of what the marathon would be like, and I was smitten right away with the whole affair. As someone who organizes events locally, I greatly admire the work that clearly went into it and look forward to perhaps volunteering in the future.

I'm not kilt guy. That you guys can count the number of black people there on one hand makes you all racist. ;-)

Smitten,
Scott Woods
Writer, librarian, horror fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:41 pm 

I understood the tone of the article and the comment, I thought it was funny. I think that the topic creator understood it as well and was merely pointing out a highlight of the article. Also he was doing a service to the board by linking some publicity, which our event doesn't get as much as we'd like.

I'm glad you are smitten, we need more like you, especially on the board.

My personal opinion is that in this politically correct society, far too many times people confuse something that is "racial" as being "racist."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 pm 

Very late reply here, but after reading scott's blog, I have to say this is my favorite quote:
"When I make a horror film, all of the white males will die and the only people left will be the buxom blondes in panties and wet t-shirts and Yaphet Kotto."
:D