The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Do you think Leonardo DiCaprio is over rated?
Yes 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
No 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:59 pm 

I saw the sneak preview of Shutter Island Tuesday night and although I enjoyed watching the movie I would have to say if you are on this forum odd s are you are WAYYYYY into Movies which means you will see the ending coming from about a mile or two away...The average movie watcher will probably not see it coming at all.

With that being said everyone in the movie played their parts very well, Leonardo, Ben Kingsley and Jackie Earl Haley are masters of the acting trade and bring amazing depths to the characters.

The opening scene as the boat approaches the Island is just awe inspiring..I saw it at the Lennox on one of their huge screens and I actually felt as if I was on the boat headed to the island.

I will be interested in what everyone else thinks...please post here so we can discuss!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Reminder that this starts at the Grandview on Friday ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:33 pm 

With all due respect, I would change the poll so that one of the choices is "Oh, hell NO are you freaking kidding me?!?" and then that is the choice I would go with.

I am definately seeing this movie. What I am skeptical about is the number of different trailers that are floating out there. The movie buff in me has already speculated what the surprises in the story may be simply based on the trailers. But then again, it's Scorsese, so I am giving the benefit of the doubt that the studio wouldn't be so stupid as to advertise a film in such a way as you can figure out the mystery ahead of time. I certainly hope I am wrong, but the studio has already mishandled this marketing campaign, starting with moving it back from a fall release date.

Advance word has been good, so I am keeping my fingers crossed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:03 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
With all due respect, I would change the poll so that one of the choices is "Oh, hell NO are you freaking kidding me?!?" and then that is the choice I would go with.

I am definately seeing this movie. What I am skeptical about is the number of different trailers that are floating out there. The movie buff in me has already speculated what the surprises in the story may be simply based on the trailers. But then again, it's Scorsese, so I am giving the benefit of the doubt that the studio wouldn't be so stupid as to advertise a film in such a way as you can figure out the mystery ahead of time. I certainly hope I am wrong, but the studio has already mishandled this marketing campaign, starting with moving it back from a fall release date.

Advance word has been good, so I am keeping my fingers crossed...

Darn the poll won't let me change the answers :) but I do agree he has come a long way since Titanic and Shutter Island really proves him as a great actor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:02 pm 

Well, my fears were realized... sort of.

While the trailers (especially the first one last Fall) did indeed commit the cardinal sin of revealing way too much information, it becomes clear early on that the film was not really trying to disguise itself. For me, the unravelling mystery was more about "why" things were happening and not really about "what" was happening. Maybe if I had not seen the trailers, I may have felt differently. Still in all, this was an exception to the rule where too much information did not actually affect my enjoyment. This is an expertly crafted film, with an emotionally resonant climax.

And Paramount really did drop the ball on this one. DiCaprio would have made a serious run at an Oscar nomination, and maybe the film would have as well. It's a shame, I hope it gets the attention it deserves in this historically dead zone month for Hollywood.