The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

News, you say? Yep, even though it's been a long while since Bruce or I posted any substantial updates, things are moving along. We've had several titles booked for awhile now, but we've been holding off on announcing them until we can issue a near-completer version of the lineup. We're currently working on assembling the remaining repertory titles, while also checking out various and sundry premiere possibilities. Hopefully, we'll have the flier out and tickets for sale in a few weeks.

In the meantime, after much procrastination I've finally added around 90 new photos from last year's 1st Annual Shock Around the Clock, courtesy of longtime Marathon ally Rick Hougland. They're currently positioned at the front of that event's pix folder. We might be paring them back a bit to eliminate some repetition, so check 'em out now. We'll also be adding annotations in the weeks to come.

October 23rd is coming very soon. Tell a friend! Tell a fiend! And stay scared!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:16 am 

Hints! Hints! Hints! Hints!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 am 

Please tell me "Dressed to Kill" is not showing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:14 pm 

Jaws3dfan wrote:

No, it won't be. You have to understand the way Joe's brain works. The above picture is a reference, as you correctly called it, to and old 1940s detective film. That film shares it's name with a more well-known and influential thriller from 1980 directed by Brian DePalma.

However...what the picture is actually alluding to is the logical 50th anniversary screening of Psycho. Depalma was strongly influenced by Hitchcock (some might argue to the point of downright thievery) and no doubt DePalma's Dressed to Kill is at worst a spiritual successor to Hitchcock's 1960 masterpiece.

On a side note, if there are some of you youngins out there who aren't film nerds and have not actually made the time to watch Psycho, it is soooo much more than just it's shower scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:25 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:

No, it won't be. You have to understand the way Joe's brain works. The above picture is a reference, as you correctly called it, to and old 1940s detective film. That film shares it's name with a more well-known and influential thriller from 1980 directed by Brian DePalma.

However...what the picture is actually alluding to is the logical 50th anniversary screening of Psycho. Depalma was strongly influenced by Hitchcock (some might argue to the point of downright thievery) and no doubt DePalma's Dressed to Kill is at worst a spiritual successor to Hitchcock's 1960 masterpiece.

On a side note, if there are some of you youngins out there who aren't film nerds and have not actually made the time to watch Psycho, it is soooo much more than just it's shower scene.

But if Psycho will be playing at the Marathon wait till then and watch it on the big screen in all it's Hitchcock, Norman Bates Glory!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
No, it won't be. You have to understand the way Joe's brain works.

HA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:06 pm 

If it is Psycho It will be a nice change. But with the history of the Sci Fi and Horror thons one of two things will happen. One the print will become unavailable at the last minute. Two it will be the 1998 version sent by mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:34 am 

But at least it won't be:

Though my memory of this is it wasn't too bad for a pilot. Though it conflicted with Pyscho II and on, since Norman never gets out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Now see, JacksUserID thinks he has my thought process all figured out, but he's missing the obvious. The "Double Murder" in the headline sounds somewhat like the phrase "Double Burger", which recalls an obscure line by Casey Affleck ("Chuck, I wanna double burger") in GOOD WILL HUNTING, which, of course, starred Casey's brother Ben, who was also in the schlock classic PHANTOMS with Peter O'Toole, who was in THE BIBLE with Richard Harris, who also starred in......Michelangelo Antonioni's horrific study of modern malaise and upper class ennui RED DESERT. And there, my friend, is your first film. We'll also soon be announcing the addition of a Bergman tribute, featuring Skype chat with Bergman's former housekeeper's cousin's mechanic and the World Premiere of Kevin S. O'Brien's THE SEVENTH CRUST.

Last edited by Joe Neff on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:24 pm 

You see, there that's the thing. I wasn't going deep enough. Just like an overrated Christopher Nolan flick, there were more than just two layers to explore.

How could I not have seen it! Antonioni made Red Desert two years prior to Blowup, which DePalma also stole... er... I mean... was inspired by when he made 1981's Blow Out, which was his follow-up to Dressed to Kill which shares it's name with the film that the picture is referencing. Of course!

I'm also assuming that you are chatting with Begman's former housekeeper's second cousin's mechanic because that was the one who immigrated to the U.S. in the late sixties and speaks English now. The first cousin's mechanic, Biff, as far as I know only speaks Swedish. Unless you'll have some sort of translation software working?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:31 pm 

I sill won't be surprise if a print of the Bates Motel comes in a film can label Psycho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:02 am 

I great Metal Band from the late 80's called Meliah Rage has a song called BATES MOTEL, Awesome Song....I'm just sayin'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:17 am 

How about trying to get a print of Bates Motel as the late night filler flick along side Psycho.

I'm glad that OTA DTV exist. With the digital subchannels I can watch bad horror sci fi flicks late night saturdays on 4.2 and 6.2 if nothing in my video library interest or I watch all of my netflix rentals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:40 am 

C'mon CHUD...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:58 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
... 50th anniversary screening of Psycho ...

We all go a little mad sometimes.