The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:44 am 
Site Admin

auteur55 wrote:
if the audience is actually laughing with or at him (including the films).

I think Kevin would be pleased enough with either, really. He's very good-natured about that sort of thing. I wasn't trying to drum up Vegas odds on the fight or anything. No, really. *erase, erase*

I only bring it up because I know he's excited to celebrate the 20th anniversary of "Bread." So since he's flying up from Australia and all, I think Bruce or Joe might be kind enough to slot it into the schedule somewhere. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:53 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
The other reason - and it's a biggie - is that people started throwing things other than bread. Someone threw a soda can at someone. That kind of hurts. A lot.

Now I only see him twice a year at most, but this is the only time in 20 some years I have ever seen Bruce really angry. And rightfully so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:39 am 

This is my 3rd Marathon, and I must say, I am pretty stoked this year. I am very excited to see 'Frankenstein' & 'Psycho' on the big screen, so I hope they both work out & are not dropped. Also, I have never seen (but really want to see) 'Island of Lost Souls', or '13 Ghosts', which is exciting for me!

If anything must be dropped, for a premier, my vote is 'Slither'.

After seeing Stuart Gordon's 'Irreversible' suggestion, I know I don't like brutally horrific images, so 'Martyrs' could also be dropped, in my opinion.

But, to each their own! Either way, great line-up, so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:25 pm 

I have a question. I know that distributors have been avoiding giving out 35mm prints, prefering to give out blurays for rep titles. Is it only Martyrs that will be on bluray or will only the films labeled 35mm be 35mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Adam H wrote:
I have a question. I know that distributors have been avoiding giving out 35mm prints, prefering to give out blurays for rep titles. Is it only Martyrs that will be on bluray or will only the films labeled 35mm be 35mm?

As of right now, all of the remaining films in the lineup (sans MARTYRS) will be on 35mm. Most distributors are still good about having their 35mm libraries up and running. Only a few are starting to push Blu-Rays as an alternative or have let their print conditions precipitously slide. For rep. titles at the Marathon, I would say that, unless otherwise noted, it's safe to say that we're drawing from 35mm sources.

Now when it comes to premieres, things can change a bit. Over the past few years, we've seen more and more of these only be available on Blu-Ray or HDCam, DigiBeta, etc. Oftentimes, small films will run digital screenings for awhile in the hopes of raising enough money for a 35mm print. And other times, they will aim for a DTV release and only have digital copies for festival/public screenings. There have also been a few cases where a company will have a 35mm print, but will only want to loan it out on rare occasions, opting for a digital release to most outlets. This happened with SLEEP DEALER, not only her but in Boston as well. It's not ideal, but we have to take what we can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:23 pm 

Good to hear. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:02 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
Adam H wrote:

As of right now, all of the remaining films in the lineup (sans MARTYRS) will be on 35mm. Most distributors are still good about having their 35mm libraries up and running. Only a few are starting to push Blu-Rays as an alternative or have let their print conditions precipitously slide. For rep. titles at the Marathon, I would say that, unless otherwise noted, it's safe to say that we're drawing from 35mm sources.

Now when it comes to premieres, things can change a bit. Over the past few years, we've seen more and more of these only be available on Blu-Ray or HDCam, DigiBeta, etc. Oftentimes, small films will run digital screenings for awhile in the hopes of raising enough money for a 35mm print. And other times, they will aim for a DTV release and only have digital copies for festival/public screenings. There have also been a few cases where a company will have a 35mm print, but will only want to loan it out on rare occasions, opting for a digital release to most outlets. This happened with SLEEP DEALER, not only her but in Boston as well. It's not ideal, but we have to take what we can get.

35MM prints are another huge reason why these marathons are so very special to me, and I applaud your efforts in maintaining the integrity of the event by relying mostly on FILM sources. Digital presentation has come a long way and I appreciate the argument that it is acceptable, though not ideal. If a classic film is available in mass-market BluRay, I would still much rather see a film print in a movie theater, even if it is of average quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:38 pm 

I can't believe I haven't seen Inferno, dressed to kill, prince of darkness and they came from within. Sometimes I feel like i've seen everything and then i'm reminded of some lost films I've missed over the years. Really digging a lot of films at the thon this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:31 pm 

Wow! I always think horror fans like myself have seen everything but I am always reminded that I have over 17,000 VHS and DVDs of that kind of stuff. Really weird that someone has never seen They Came from Within or Dressed to Kill. I'd be more surprised that people had never seen Cannibal Girls,The Initiation,Screams of a Winter NIght,Eye of the Devil,Night Warning,Voyage Into Space,Meat Cleaver Massacre,Blood and Lace or stuff like that. I was actually shocked talking to people at Cinema Wasteland last time at the people who had never heard of 555 or The Evil or even the original Willard. Since I'm 42 I guess I have a history of watching horror films since I was a wee little kid but I'm finding out that so many people didn't grow up watching as many as 6 or 7 films a day on VHS back in the early 80s and going to drive ins and seeing 5 films in one night. I guess those days are long gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:49 pm 

VHS? Once a media format start to die off I get rid of it quickly. No point keeping it around.
Last weekend I catch a past marathon film on WSYX DT2 Return of the Living Dead and watching the TV edit version was funny. Will there be another collectible Mug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 pm 

Quote:
VHS? Once a media format start to die off I get rid of it quickly. No point keeping it around.

It sounds logical, except for the fact that there are countless films and television shows that to this day have fallen through the cracks and have yet to see the light of day on DVD or blu-ray. When the films and shows I have on VHS actually show up on LEGIT discs, then I shall retire my VHS collection, not before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:20 pm 

Infra-Kid wrote:
Wow! I always think horror fans like myself have seen everything but I am always reminded that I have over 17,000 VHS and DVDs of that kind of stuff. Really weird that someone has never seen They Came from Within or Dressed to Kill. I'd be more surprised that people had never seen Cannibal Girls,The Initiation,Screams of a Winter NIght,Eye of the Devil,Night Warning,Voyage Into Space,Meat Cleaver Massacre,Blood and Lace or stuff like that. I was actually shocked talking to people at Cinema Wasteland last time at the people who had never heard of 555 or The Evil or even the original Willard. Since I'm 42 I guess I have a history of watching horror films since I was a wee little kid but I'm finding out that so many people didn't grow up watching as many as 6 or 7 films a day on VHS back in the early 80s and going to drive ins and seeing 5 films in one night. I guess those days are long gone.

Wow Infra! You excel at finding and loving schlock (and I say that with a love of schlock myself) that most people have never even heard of! Dressed to Kill is pretty mainstream, but I'll confess it's one that's slipped through the cracks for me over the years despite being on my DVR for the last 5 months. But seriously, how can you be surprised that people haven't heard of stuff like 555 (?), Screams in a Winter Night (?), et al, when most of them aren't available on dvd? How does it surprise you that movies that played to maybe 10,000 decades ago and aren't on dvd, aren't well known to the general public? Do you take notes during the trailers and seek them out after the marathons? (I've seriously thought of that myself). I'm not trying to pick on you because I admire your dedication and passion, but I think you have to admit, that your tastes run to the ultra-obscure even within the horror community (and I'm not basing this assumption on this one post, but your years of posting). Out of curiosity, what do you think of George Romero's Season of the Witch playing in Chicago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:07 pm 

Hello Meatfetish,I do indeed have the ultimate passion or love of horror,sci-fi,cult,etc. My epic collection is guess is a sign of that. I don't seek out any of the films shown as trailers cause I've already seen almost all of those films in my youth or on VHS in the 80s. Like I said when the VHS boom was going at the start of the 80s I was watching as many as 5 to 7 horror films a day of all varities. Everything from Mardi Gras Massacre to The Boogens could be found in most local video stores in the area. Luckily in the Marion,Ohio area everybody and their mother had a backhouse video store. People were opening them out of the backs of their houses. For a horror fan like me it was very much like heaven. To have so many choices in walking distances for $1 each was pure bliss. Also,for many older fans like myself who stay youthful through this "retro" culture there was also tons of late night and daytime viewing abilities. Back in the day there was various horror hosts and people like Superhost who showed stuff in the daytime as well. So before TBS,AMC and other such bullcrap became mainstream and started showing Legally Blonde every 2 hours you could stay up to the wee hours to catch showings of House of the 7 Corpses,Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorila,The Deathmaster,Jennifer,Voyage Into Space,Superargo,Dracula Vs. Frankenstein,Blood Mania,Plan 9 and many others. So since about the age of 4 or 5 when I was seeing these films I've been obsessed with them after seeing so many early in my youth at the drive in or on late night TV. There's just something special about that time period to me and ability to just watch these films with the love I had and still have for them. I even love supposed "dreck" like Blood Waters of Dr.Z,The Creeping Terror,Blue Murder,Blood Orgy of the She Devils,Invasion of the Blood Farmers,etc. It's all so great to me and makes me relive a time when I caught these films at various times on VHS or on late night TV. Even the late Gary(Diff'rent Strokes)Coleman said Laserblast was his favorite film of all time. Now that is saying something.
As for them showing Season of the Witch(which I've seen several times and own the VHS and DVD)in Chicago I am against it considering it is a tediously boring effort. I don't think the audience would dig it very much.
Even with my various marathons I have done I try to keep things lively with things like Blood Diner,Squirm,Jaws,Octaman or such things. Not that I'm trying to keep a level of MST ability for these films but because I love watching these films and films like Satan's Cheerleaders,Drive In Massacre,Incredible Melting Man and many others are just great to me and not any form of some wannabe,MSTer wanting to make fun of them. That;s why in my vast 17,000 VHSs and DVDs I have the gambit of the original Alphaville to Zombie Lake and all ports in between. I'm even watching Terror Out of the Sky and Outer Space Connection after I get off the computer. Throwbacks to a better and more fun time for me. Great stuff to me but probably not by all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:52 pm 

To be honest that I didn't much care for the VHS format due to its limitations. I started to collect movies and TV series once the DVD format came into existence. The same thing for Blu Ray.

BTW since the Grandview is now selling alcohol bring ID.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

FYI-spiffy two-sided fliers are now available at the Grandview and are making their way to other outlets over the next few days. I'll post a PDF sometime in the next few days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next