The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Inside your average Nightmarathoid's brain, around 4am Sunday.

After much hinting, much teasing, and much Antonioni-related rumor mongering, we can finally give you some definite news about what will be showing at this year's 2nd Annual Shock Around the Clock! As of today, we have the following films/attractions booked:

*A gala celebration for the 20th Anniversary of legendary Marathon short Night of the Living Bread, with Kevin S. O'Brien IN PERSON!

....wait, you want more? Like that's not (longlivethesecretbreadempire)enough for ya? I mean, Kevin is flying in from Australia, which I believe will set the record for longest commute by a Marathon-related guest. Wait did I just call Kevin a guest? Does that mean we have to pay him a per diem?

Okay, okay, here are the rest of the films that we currently have booked:

*A celebration for the 100th anniversary of Frankenstein on film, featuring the 1910 Edison Frankestein short and James Whale's iconic 1931 Karloff/Clive-starring Frankenstein.

*A 50th Anniversary screening of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.

*A 50th Anniversary screening of William Castle's 13 Ghosts, in stunning, mind-warping ILLUSION-O!

*A rare 35mm screening of the 1932 Island of Lost Souls (which has never been released on legitimate domestic DVD), with Charles Laughton and Bela Lugosi.

*A rare 35mm screening of David Cronenberg's sexual parasite tour de force They Came from Within.

*Nobuhiko Obayashi's absolutely gonzo, bloody, surreal, comedic, totally bonkers 1977 Japanese haunted house cult epic Hausu (a.k.a. House)

*A rare 35mm screening of Dario Argento's second film in the Three Mothers Trilogy, Inferno.

*Brian DePalma's sleek, erotic, twisted, slasherific, Hitchcockian Dressed to Kill.

*A tribute to the late, great Dennis Hopper with Tobe Hooper's goofy, gory Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

*John Carpenter's atmospheric, Lovecraftian Prince of Darkness.

*Pascal Laugier's brutal and disturbing French shocker Martyrs.

*Michael Rooker, Nathan Fillion and Elizabeth Banks in the slugerific Slither.

We're also pursuing several premieres, including:

*The festival smash hit Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

*Shinya Tsukamoto's Tetsuo 3 (a.k.a. Tetsuo: The Bullet Man).

*The highly controversial, festival audience-shocking A Serbian Film.

*The upcoming remake of I Spit On Your Grave.

*Modern day alien invasion fest Monsters.

*Corrupt cops meet zombies in The Horde.

*More Japanese craziness in Mutant Girls Squad.

A few notes:

*You'll notice that we currently have twelve features booked. Depending on which premieres we can secure, we will most likely be substituting them for one or two films in this initial repertory list. What might get replaced will heavily depend on the tone of any premieres we can book (i.e. if the premiere is fast paced, it might replace another fast paced film). We're hoping to have more news on at least one confirmed premiere this week.

*We're also still working on a few possible added attractions/guests, but nothing is definite at this point. If we're able to secure anything or anyone we're pursuing, it could alter the lineup somewhat.

*We're hoping to have tickets on sale near the end of this week. More news on those (prices, outlets, etc.) early in the week. We should also have the flier out by the middle of the following week.

Like a slowly reanimating corpse, Shock Around the Clock is gradually emerging from the grave once again. Until then, stay tuned to this site for more information. And stay scared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:35 am 

I gotta say this is an impressive and nice lineup. Not too bad at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 am 

Great Line up but Please don't drop John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness or William Castle's 13 Ghosts those are the only 2 classic, fun, cheesy movies in the line up.

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:59 am 

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen so many classic horror films in the lineup before, cool. 8) Rest of the lineup looks good too.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil looks hilarious, a sure win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4wFtTj0-k4

Monsters sounds like a promising catch too, especially considering its actual theatrical release October 29th is going to be limited, this could be the only way some of us will see it aside from a later DVD release.

The Horde! Awesome! I think this is the first time a film I actually put in the wishlist has actually been considered! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:13 pm 

Sounds like a great time. As always, I wish I could come. I am going to do everything in my power to make the long commute next year.

You have done a great job of mixing different styles and tones, and a wide variety of time periods. Having twelve films booked before persuing premieres and/or guests is a great strategy.

I especially like the bookings of some underrated gems that are not quite classics like Prince of Darkness, Dressed to Kill, and TCM2.

As far as things that may get replaced at the last minute, my money is on Slither going 0-for-2 after failing to be shipped at the Sci-Fi marathon a couple years back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:48 pm 

Very nice line-up.

The one I'm most happy about and excited to see:

Joe Neff wrote:
*A tribute to the late, great Dennis Hopper with Tobe Hooper's goofy, gory Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

:D TCM2's been on my marathon wish list for years, I love that movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:57 pm 

The lineup looks good. It have movies that I've haven't seen at all or been a long time since. One thing is that try to get Monsters and the remake of I Spit. Since I don't care much for remakes this is the first one I want to see.

Witch version of Inferno will it be?

Will there be a betting going on to see witch classic movie to become unavailable at the last minute or the wrong version. I'm guessing Psycho and or Frankenstein.

How much is the tix for this year's thon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:10 am 

Great List! I'm really looking forward to this year's marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:13 am 

After watching I Spit 2010 trailer it might out did the original. IMO dropped Dress to Kill to fit in I Spit, Monsters, and VS Evil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:30 pm 

Great line up. Only concern is I heard martyrs is a brutal sadistic movie. Yes i'm a bit of a light weight. Not when it comes to gore but when 2 hrs of realistic torture is inflicted on young girls and children as some form of high art that's typically where I wimp out. I skipped it for a reason. Am I wrong about the film?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

Well, MARTYRS is only 99 minutes, so you wouldn't have to sit through two hours. All joking aside, though, it arguably has the most graphic content of any film in the currently booked lineup. Yes, it's realistic violence but...well, I don't want to give away anything for those who haven't seen it. Needless to say, I have a strong stomach and MARTYRS unnerved me when I first saw it. If you don't like that type of material, you might want to hit the concession stand when it screens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:14 pm 

Maybe you should skip Martyrs and just show A Serbian Film... I think Martyrs at least needs to be seen before judgement is passed on it. I didn't get into what it was trying to say but plenty of people have found it profound and even moving.

Plus A Serbian Film really, really, really needs to be shown.

ETA Really fun line-up. TCM2, Slither, Prince of Darkness are a lot of fun and House is totally nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

This really looks great - no doubt this year's gonna be fantastic. ^_^

Wish I could be there, but, I'm gonna be rockin' out at a few concerts in Japan. LOL. XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:54 pm 

Fantastic line up! Plus the possibilities of some of these premiers are awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:35 am 

Looks like a great, diverse lineup. I really hope I can make it this year. There isn't a single movie I'd drop from the lineup, though there are some I like more than others. Not a big Prince of Darkness fan, but I know there are a lot of fans out there. I've never seen all of Dressed to Kill (just bits on tv) so keep that. If something did have to move, I'd go for 13 Ghosts or Slither because it's the most recent title. That is a tough one. Is Martyrs going to be on 35mm?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next