The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Human Centipede. . .
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:39 pm 

Read an article about how disturbing, sadistic, and vulgar this movie is. Just from the previews, they may be right. It is called "The Human Centipede".

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4206561049/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

That looks like one seriously messed up film.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:24 pm 

ok that's just wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 pm 

I'll be skipping it. You can see the whole movie in the trailer and that was sick enough. Keep this the hell away from the marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:02 pm 

Okay, I am glad I am not the only one who does not want to see this at the marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:54 am 

Can't be any worse than Audition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhsrsWcEspc

Has anyone seen this movie? It is sooooo messed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

MarathonVet wrote:
Can't be any worse than Audition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhsrsWcEspc

Has anyone seen this movie? It is sooooo messed up.

I've seen part of Audition, but I didn't finish it (although I kinda know what happens)...I think I could handle Audition better in this situation if choosing between the two though. :lol:

Some people take it as cartoonish-violence, some as hyper-violent, but did you ever see Ichi the Killer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:44 pm 

They played Ichi-the-killer several years back at the 'thon. It seemed to be a lot of gratuitous gore and little story/suspense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:02 am 

jenbowie wrote:
I've seen part of Audition, but I didn't finish it (although I kinda know what happens)...I think I could handle Audition better in this situation if choosing between the two though. :lol:

Some people take it as cartoonish-violence, some as hyper-violent, but did you ever see Ichi the Killer?

I've never seen it. Do you recommend it? I read your recommendation of Casshern to someone on here. I rented it and loved it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:24 pm 

I watched it and loved it myself..But it's not for everyone and I could see it turning alot of people off at a marathon..although seeing it with a crowd would be a blast lol

Post subject: The Humcan Centipede...
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 pm 

It is actually a pretty good movie, aside from how gross it is, it doesn't really show much, u just know what is happening...and it is not fun. I was glad i wasn't eating anything while watching it. It is still a good film. i would buy it. Not everyday you see a human centipede. its def. worth a watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:51 pm 

To be honest I don't find it any grosser then some of Takashi Miike's films.
Alot of the hype around it being so out there is just that hype through viral marketing.

The subject matter while gross is a bit refreshing in a time of recycled crap and remakes.

Anything that makes Horror fans of all genres stand up and take notice is not a bad thing to me. And as Dan The Fly Guy pointed out it did not show as much as one would be lead to believe. This in it's self is a effective tool IMHO.

I bet Kevin Smith with his "ass to mouth" rant in Clerks 2 is taking notice lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 am 

Josh Roxxx wrote:
I bet Kevin Smith with his "ass to mouth" rant in Clerks 2 is taking notice lol

LOL!! Speaking of Kevin Smith, he will be at Studio 35 on June 22nd doing his smodcast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

MarathonVet wrote:
jenbowie wrote:

I've never seen it. Do you recommend it? I read your recommendation of Casshern to someone on here. I rented it and loved it.

Hmm, I personally wouldn't recommend Audition. I mean, it is cringe/creepy-worthy here and there, and if that's what you're looking for, it's got it (you can get major spoilers here). You might like Rodger Swan's Japanese Horror Movie Reviews for a better idea too (although, I'm afraid there won't be any more of these because of Rodger's untimely death not long ago :( ) But in terms of plot, I wasn't that impressed. And if you know any of Miike's work, it's definitely in line with his usual stuff (like MPD Psycho, Ichi the Killer, etc). Really, I actually would say I preferred Miike's lighter fare like Sukiyaki Western Django which is probably the most "out of the ordinary" thing Miike's done imo (although the US release had 23 minutes cut from it which is...very annoying).

And of course, to sound like a broken record, back on Casshern...the minute you can get your hands on Goemon (which is by the makers of Casshern and is kinda like...historical fantasy) I do recommend that.

Post subject: confusion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:20 pm 

I'm not trying to be rude, but what do you want to see at a horror marathon if not films that push the limits like human centipede and audition? I've seen human centipede, and while not a huge fan, this is exactly the type of film I would want (and expect) to play at a horror marathon. While I don't expect every film booked to be within the extreme sub-genre, I do love a few films in the mix that I'm a bit repulsed by. This is a horror marathon after all. What's the point if there aren't a few truly horrifying films? When horror films get neutered, vampires sparkle in the sunlight. This is why I advocate for the human centipedes and cannibal holocausts out there. If we don't love these ugly step-children, who will?