The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:00 pm 

Cool photos.

And, so, the search for a 35mm print of the 1957 NOT OF THIS EARTH continues!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:43 pm 

Yeah it really is a great theater and I wish more Ohioans would make the trip. It's only a 6 hour drive (or 8 with construction and traffic) and the theater is beautiful and seats 700+. The horror marathons always sell out and the Sci-Fi half marathons do about 400 people. And there are about 8 vendors set up in the lobby. Plus it's in Wrigleyville and has dozens of great restaurants and bars near the theater. Parking sucks because of permit restrictions, or you can pay to park at a nearby school. They don't play as many trailers, and sometimes the ones they play have nothing to do with horror or sci-fi. It was great seeing Tim there and I think the small but devoted crowd that go out to Boston every so often should take a shorter drive and check out the Chicago 'thon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:47 pm 

As for the lineup, it wasn't my favorite but it was still a lot of fun. I was surprised by how much the crowd go into Critters 2. The Blob was definitely the highlight for me and I love David Cronenberg, though I wouldn't necessarily have chosen Naked Lunch to play. I had forgotten how funny that movie is though, so like every film it's better to watch with a marathon audience. Unfortunately I was too tired from a week of 16 hour days and the prospect of having to be awake at 2 am for another 16 hour day on Monday and I skipped out on Event Horizon (which I don't really remember and will have to rent soon). If it had been a 24 hour event, I would have found my reserves and gotten a second wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:00 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
I was surprised by how much the crowd go into Critters 2.

I wish our local marathons would take a chance on movies like Critters 2, other than

Aliens
Star Trek 2
Terminator 2
Texas Chainsaw 2
Tremors 2
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

I don't think any sequels have ever played at either 'thon and those were all extremely popular movies. It's a shame because there are lots of fun sequels that would play well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:34 pm 

Yeah, I mean besides the ones you've mentioned, our marathons have only ever shown:

Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation
Beyond Re-Animator
The Bride of Re-Animator
Bride of Frankenstein (technically a sequel to Frankenstein)
A Chinese Ghost Story 2
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Gamera 2
Gamera 3
GMK: Giant Monsters All Out Attack
Godzilla: Final Wars
The Lost Skeleton Returns Again
Predator 2
Pumpkinhead 2
Return of the Living Dead III
Robocop 2
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The New Generation
and 2010

There definitely seems to be a reluctance to do sequels on the part of Bruce and Joe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:43 pm 

Those don't count

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:40 pm 

Waiting to hear news on this event, last year was great!

Post subject: Re: Chicago sci-fi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:02 pm 

Waiting to hear news on this event, Meatfetish can you try to get some info from the theater?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:58 pm 

Hmm DVD's that haven't had an official DVD release. Supporting piracy I see. I'm surprise that The Musicbox is allowing piracy. remember now movie piracy is theft. Always wait for the official commercial release.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 pm 

willcail wrote:
Hmm DVD's that haven't had an official DVD release. Supporting piracy I see. I'm surprise that The Musicbox is allowing piracy. remember now movie piracy is theft. Always wait for the official commercial release.

It took me rereading the posts twice to know what you were even talking about, and I'm still a little confused by why you're combing through posts from a year ago to comment on.... As for the Music Box supporting piracy, that's a pretty ridiculous stretch. Does the Hilton Hotel support piracy when they host horror conventions? They allow vendors to set up a table and sell things. They are under no obligation to police the DVDs that are sold. And I don't like piracy, but there are some films that have never and will probably never see the light of day except for people making dubs off their old VHS tapes. So I can let that slide, but my own personal take on it is that if there ever is a legitimate release then you should buy that to replace the bootleg. And please don't start some long holier-than-thou fight on here. I'm sure back in the 1980's and 1990's you probably made cassette dubs of music you liked or used your VCR to record movies off HBO, most people have...

Anyway, here's the link to the Chicago sci-fi marathon:

https://www.facebook.com/scifispectacular

Not complete yet, and only okay in my opinion. I'd probably be more interested in it if 12 Monkeys didn't play so recently in Columbus.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:37 am 

Is it hard to understand that Musicbox allowing pirated DVD's on their property can be consider aiding and abiding criminal activity. Do you understand movie piracy? It is a forum of theft. Intellectual property theft is bad. Do I need to provide a link to the stealing movies is bad PSA? :roll:

According to the 1984 Supreme Court case Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc.states that it is OK for people to use recording devices to time shift television broadcast via recording devices for non commercial purposes. It doesn't apply to pirated DVD's. I always buy copyrighted material. There are other avenues to obtain copyrighted material for free via public libraries. Public Libraries are exempt from copyright law. See United States Code Section 108, 110-122.

Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studio ruling link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Corp. ... udios,_Inc.

USC Code links
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/108
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/110

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:00 pm 

willcail wrote:
Is it hard to understand that Musicbox allowing pirated DVD's on their property can be consider aiding and abiding criminal activity. Do you understand movie piracy? It is a forum of theft. Intellectual property theft is bad. Do I need to provide a link to the stealing movies is bad PSA? :roll:

Considering that almost every convention I have attended in the past 20+ years has had at least one vendor selling bootlegged DVDs, I don't think that the Musicbox is in any danger. I'm not getting sucked into the argument about movie piracy and its' relative merits and flaws - just saying that the Musicbox is probably not in any danger of prosecution - although the vendor might be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:52 pm 

Yes, I understand movie piracy better than a lot of people as I'm directly affected by it. As someone who makes my living in the film industry and as a member of the DGA, my pension is partially funded through residuals. I'm too low on the food chain to receive residuals directly, but every DVD and blu-ray sale out there has a percentage of that sale go into a general pension fund for all the union crew members out there. So I'm very against bootlegging overall, but the fanboy in me realizes that some movies may never see the light of day without bootleggers. So I stand by the idea that if you buy a bootleg of something and years later a legitimate release comes out then you should buy the legitimate release. I also advocate buying CDs at concerts to directly support bands you like. But lets face it, buying used DVDs in no way benefits the filmmaker, but we all do it. As for the Music Box, I think you just look for excuses to attack them since you always have something negative to say whenever I announce an event there. I'm not looking to extend this thread any further, but knock yourself out if you want...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:02 pm 

Here we go again...

I thought we were all done with this CRAP. Stop engaging!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 pm 

Just to understand that following the law is the same as being a troll. The Musicbox Theater still could be in trouble for just allowing one vendor selling bootleg DVD's. Remember now using facts is not being a troll. Can you understand that. I'm more concern about the employees who work at The Musicbox then the owners that allowed illegal activity on the premise. Plus bootleg dvd's are poor quality and a deeply flawed product.

I find it funny that IamjacksuserID is trying to use flawed republican logic. Iam theft is theft. Can you understand that? Is is ok for someone to steal from you?. According to your flawed logic you might be ok with it.

Please next time try to use some facts to backup your claim that there is nothing wrong with IP theft.