The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:16 pm 

Does anyone have any info on good marathons/conventions in Ohio for Horror thons this year? No news on Shriek o Rama and the HorrorFest in Yellow Springs appears dead (with little hope of rising). Heard about Horror Hound Weekend but heard it was poorly run and WAY too crowded. I need some sort of fix though...HELP!!

This will be my first Columbus thon missed since '02 and I wish you all a very good time...see you next year!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:25 pm 

Aladron wrote:
the HorrorFest in Yellow Springs appears dead (with little hope of rising).

According to this the HorrorFest in Yellow Springs is still happening

http://horrorfest.littleart.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:23 pm 

Quote:
Heard about Horror Hound Weekend but heard it was poorly run and WAY too crowded.

According to who?

I've been to it and while I will say that it is rather small, I still enjoyed myself. To me Cinema Wasteland is way more cramped and crowded by comparrison.

Horrorhound is basically a smaller version of CW IMO,just without the film screenings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:57 pm 

Yeah, most of the reviews I found online were fairly down on the Horror Hound show. Is it true that Horror hound has no film screenings? No good.

As far as HorrorFest at Little Art goes, I contacted the manager who stated that he is not sure if the show will go on or not. However I sent out an e-mail to Zack McGee who is coordinating the event and asked him to keep me an this website informed if possible.

Thanks for the advice so far...any other shows??? Info on Shreik-o-Rama?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:57 am 

Well,looks like it is time to chime in after much silence. I am the one behind the All Night Shriek O Rama and still at this point I was still waiting for some word from the theater. After several attempts email and phone style I haven't heard back from the Springmill Drive In at this point. Last year,they said they actually wanted to do 2 this year and they did make money on it so I don't know what the lack of communication is about. I just guess they changed their minds and don't want to do it. Too bad,I have had some nice drive in style lineups ready to go.
As for Cinema Wasteland,I always consider it a must attend. Like all the Columbus horror and sci-fi marathons(and Schlock Around The Clocks),I have attended every Cinema Wasteland. It is just the best time to hang out and talk everything retro/drive-in/grindhouse. If you love Eaten Alive,Make Them Die Slowly,Willard(the original),Phantasm and Pieces,this is THE show for you.
HorrorHound Cincinnati is a different ball of wax. They do usually show some movies and have some panels but I don't think it is extremely overcrowded like DragonCon or Chiller Theatre(NJ). HorrorHound does a nice job but after about 10pm there is little going on. At Cinema Wasteland the fun continues round the clock and movie discussions never seem to stop. Not to say HorrorHound isn't worth the drive. If you live in Ohio I'd say if it is less than a 3 hour drive it is totally worth it but don't expect to be blown out of your socks like Cinema Wasteland or Chiller Theatre. It's a good show and hopefully it will grow to be great. When I first started attending shows ALL there was was Fangoria Weekend of Horrors. And no one charged for autographs. Now there are shows every weekend somewhere with lots of guests charging $20 to $50 to sign an autograph. Be selective and let your voice be heard.
There's also the Mid Ohio Con/Wizard World show the weekend after the marathon. It may not be all horror but you may be able to find some horror stuff. Adam West was in Zombie Nightmare and One Dark Night,remember?
If you don't mind traveling out of Ohio there are LOADS of conventions all year round. By the end of November I will have been to about 30. Everything from Monstermania to G-Fest to Chiller THeatre to Crypticon to Flashback Weekend to HorrorFind to Monsterbash. It never seems to stop. I usually close down myself for the winter. Next year HorrorHound will be in Columbus so be prepared to have a horror convention in the "big city" here.

Post subject: HorrorFest V update
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:02 pm 

I was able to get ahold of Zack McGhee who is running the Horrorfest in Yellow Springs...his news:

"Thanks for writing! It *is* a go. I'm just trying to confirm a couple more titles -- that's been the biggest struggle this year -- and settle on a start time. The website and ticket sales will go up soon. I'll shoot you an email when that happens."

I'm sure he could use the support so be sure to check out the updates.

Oh, and thank you everyone for your input on marathons in the area...I just found out about one called Horrorrama in Englewood Ohio that was formerly ran by Dr. Creep (RIP). If anyone has info on this event please let me know...and if anyone wants the info I have on this event...last year it was $11 bucks but only appears to run from 6pm-6am (about 6 titles). No date or movies set yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:07 am 

I believe Andy Copp does the HorrorRama in Dayton. You may want to get ahold of him. He's a local Ohio filmmaker and Cinema Wasteland dealer,as well.

Post subject: Re: HorrorFest V update
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am 

Aladron wrote:
I was able to get ahold of Zack McGhee who is running the Horrorfest in Yellow Springs...his news:

"Thanks for writing! It *is* a go. I'm just trying to confirm a couple more titles -- that's been the biggest struggle this year -- and settle on a start time. The website and ticket sales will go up soon. I'll shoot you an email when that happens."

I'm sure he could use the support so be sure to check out the updates.

Oh, and thank you everyone for your input on marathons in the area...I just found out about one called Horrorrama in Englewood Ohio that was formerly ran by Dr. Creep (RIP). If anyone has info on this event please let me know...and if anyone wants the info I have on this event...last year it was $11 bucks but only appears to run from 6pm-6am (about 6 titles). No date or movies set yet.

See my post here:
http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1074

So far these three titles have been confirmed for the marathon:
ALIEN
REAR WINDOW
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:58 am 

Also forgot to toot my own horn. I'll be set up with 100s of horror movie posters,pressbooks,lobby cards,VHSs,DVDs,books,etc. at the this weekends' Columbus Toy Show Sept.11th at Vets Memorial. Stop by and bring lots of money. If you love horror,I'm sure I'll have something for you to purchase.