The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Come in Peace
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:17 pm 

Anyone at the 4th Annual It Came From The Drexel North will remember the premiere of Dark Angel starring Dolph Lungren, which became I Come in Peace upon release. It was finally released as an online purchase only. My copy arrived today and I'm about to watch it right now. At first look, it's not a great transfer, but unlike the original Stars Wars trilogy at least it's 16 x 9. Below is the link to their website. It's being released under its original Dark Angel title.

http://www.screenarchives.com/index.cfm

Post subject: Re: I Come in Peace
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:21 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
Anyone at the 4th Annual It Came From The Drexel North will remember the premiere of Dark Angel starring Dolph Lungren, which became I Come in Peace upon release. It was finally released as an online purchase only. My copy arrived today and I'm about to watch it right now. At first look, it's not a great transfer, but unlike the original Stars Wars trilogy at least it's 16 x 9. Below is the link to their website. It's being released under its original Dark Angel title.

http://www.screenarchives.com/index.cfm

How was it? Worth the purchase?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:20 pm 

I really like the film and would say it's worth it. I'm generally against bootlegs (despite owning a few-though I usually rebuy them if a legit copy comes out), because I work in the industry and that gives Hollywood the excuse to pay crews less. So I'd say if you like the movie, it's worth the price to show your support for smaller films. The colors are decent and the sound is good. The transfer's a little grainy but not bad. And at it is 16x9, unlike the original, Jabba-free, Star Wars trilogy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:16 pm 

Jabba is in the original non SE of Star Wars trilogy. Who's that giant slug in Return?

I'll hold off until there is a legit DVD release. I'll already have two "grey area" DVD's. Meet the Feebles Red Edition and Transformers DVD of the two OVA's. Scramble City and Zone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:47 pm 

willcail wrote:
Jabba is in the original non SE of Star Wars trilogy. Who's that giant slug in Return?

I'll hold off until there is a legit DVD release. I'll already have two "grey area" DVD's. Meet the Feebles Red Edition and Transformers DVD of the two OVA's. Scramble City and Zone.

Alright, if you want to be literal. How about Jabba-free Star Wars, Star Wars trilogy? That sounds weird, but I think most people know what I mean. The I Come in Peace aka Dark Angel DVD is legit, it's just not a HD transfer by any means. I doubt, they'll ever give it better release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 pm 

The website link you posted also selling CD-R copies of Moneyball soundtrack claiming that they download from Amazon. To me that doesn't passed the smell test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:34 am 

willcail wrote:
The website link you posted also selling CD-R copies of Moneyball soundtrack claiming that they download from Amazon. To me that doesn't passed the smell test.

I don't know anything about Moneyball soundtracks or anything else off the website. But as an eyewitness to the quality of the Dark Angel aka I Come in Peace dvd, it's exactly like I said. I make no claims about anything else on the website. But this is where MGM is selling their screen archives titles. If there's another website, please feel free to post it. I'm just talking about the product I bought off this website and I watched it a few days ago. The quality was OK, but as far as I know it's the only legitimate release out there. If you know of a better option, please share instead of crossing your arms and shaking your head. I have no reason to lie. A lot of "lesser" titles don't get any love from the studios at all, so if there's any chance that I buck or two from the purchase gets to the filmmakers, then great. But Hollywood studios have a long history of screwing over the talent "legitimately".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:58 pm 

You can also get some MGM Archives titles from Amazon. I don't know if they have Dark Angel though, as I haven't checked their site lately. But they supposedly have an exclusive deal with Amazon for most of their Archive titles, as does Universal. I guess that doesn't stop other sites from selling them... I bought my House of the Long Shadows disc from Amazon, and they had many other titles from MGM at the time. Anyway, not to cast aspersions on any other sites, just for information purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:14 pm 

I actually won the autographed photo from Dolph for the name change from Dark Angel to I COme in Peace. I still have a bunch of the buttons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 pm 

I just checked out of curiosity, and Amazon does have Dark Angel for $9.99, if anyone would prefer to buy it there. Just search for it under "Movies & TV" and it will come up below Dark Angel the TV show. No, I don't work for Amazon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:49 pm 

Oops, the DVD is actually $17.99. $9.99 is the Instant Viewing purchase price.