The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safety Not Guaranteed
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:28 am 

"WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED. I have only done this once before."

I heard this was a good movie and it's playing at the Drexel, I may go check it out. Of anyone has seen this movie please post a non-spoiler review.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:39 pm 

Another entry in the recent lite Sci-Fi sweepstakes: Films such as ANOTHER WORLD, MELANCHOLIA, SOUND OF MY VOICE which use a slight SF tinge in what would otherwise be 'straight' non-genre movies. The film that Marathoners will probably most closely associate it with is HAPPY ACCIDENTS. Both are Rom-Coms with a woman entering into a relationship with an oddball man who claims to be a time-traveller.

SAFETY is based on a real (if planted) classified ad that ran in Backwoods Home Magazine several years ago: "Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. I have only done this once before. Safety not guaranteed." The ad has been adapted by screenwriter Derek Connolly into a story about Darius (Aubrey Plaza), a magazine intern, who tracks down the Ad's author Kenneth (Mark Duplass, who also Co-produced with his brother Jay). Of course, a deeper relationship ensues.

At this point I should mention that not only is this a Rom-Com, but that the Duplasses are leaders in the mumblecore movement. Further, SAFETY comes with the official "Sundance Film Festival hit" seal. That's a triple-whammy - a Sundance Mumblecore Rom-Com! Sundance is known for films that achieve raptuous applause (this film apparently got a sustained Standing-O) at the fest only to fall flat when they hit the 'real' cinema world. To be fair, SAFETY is better than most of it's ilk, and has even gotten very good reviews overall (though it's 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes is inflated if one actually reads the reviews. The 70% rating on Metacritic is more accurate).

SAFETY's problem isn't so much it's Sundance quirkiness quotient as much as it's structure. If the film had stayed with the central relationship with Darius and Kenneth (as in 'What's the Frequency, Kenneth'?) it may have worked. The actors work well together and Plaza is particularly engaging.

Unfortunately, the film has Darius working with a lead reporter (Jake Johnson) and another intern (Karan Soni). The intern is a nerdy horned-rim glasses wearing Indian science student who's only function seems to be as a convenient "comedic" foil for the reporter. Every time the main relationship seems to be building momentum, Director Colin Treverrow cuts away to a subplot involving the Reporter and an old flame. It seriously undercuts what should be the main thrust of the story. So, by the time we get to the climax, it feels rushed and unsatisfying.

The throwaway ending is even more frustrating for SF fans hooked by the initial premise. Even worse, hints are laid of something consequential as the reason that the protagonists want to time-travel, but they are left unfulfilled as well. Of all the films mentioned in this sub-genre, SAFETY has the least edifying conclusion of them all, appealing stars and all.