The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:52 pm 

For those of you on the fence about The Hobbit and/or 48 FPS, I can sum it up in one word: stunning.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:08 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
For those of you on the fence about The Hobbit and/or 48 FPS, I can sum it up in one word: stunning.

My one word: mediocre

The movie is better than the poor reviews, but, it takes 2 3/4 hours to tell a very slight story. Oh, and it has no ending. It just stops.

I would LOVE to have seen 48 FPS on FILM. Douglas Trumbull (BRAINSTORM, CE3K, 2001, BLADE RUNNER) wanted to use high frame rates decades ago but the costs were too prohibitive for the studios to swallow. Unfortunately, 48 FPS with digital makes it look like a high def TV show with that awful "smoothing" affect cranked to 10.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:43 am 

Special effects: Stunning
Creatures: Stunning
Story choices & pace: C-
Peter Jackson does not know how to build. His idea of filmmaking is that every scene should be an over the top climax. Subtlety or building tension is foreign to everything he has ever done.
Tolkien's introduction of the Ring has it as such a trivial thing that Bilbo barely feels it on the ground. Jackson (literally) introduces it with a clank. Beyond the Lord trilogy, see also his King Kong and Meet The Feebles.
Journey has insufficient blood? Introduce a major baddie & plot element; (The white Orc).
The plot insufficiently portentous? Drag in four major major characters from Lord-- barely mentioned in the book version, in case any viewers doesn't get the idea that what is happening is IMPORTANT!!!
There are always difficulties translating a story from one medium to another. In fact, as a rule of thumb, I think that it is almost impossible to translate greatness between mediums. Where it has been done, it pretty much required that the original has to be thrown out or just a general plot thread be maintained.
It may be a great run on battle picture, but this film is not The Hobbit. It is Peter Jackson's opportunity to make a crash bang Creature Feature Blood Fest.
As a blood fest, it's pretty good. Special effects, battles, great. But I would really have liked to see something that attempted to film The Hobbit, not a remake of Battleship.
And Bilbo's toes weren't furry either.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly