The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:27 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
In the meantime, it is best to look at the bright side. It does mean that your "wish list" film title is more likely to be available to show. Witness, last year's Ohio showing of THE GREEN SLIME. A film which Bruce and I searched for a 35mm print of for decades. It's half of what it could have looked like with a pristine 35mm print - but, at least it was shown.

True Digital Projection can look beautiful, I saw the original Friday the 13th at the Skyview Drive in last October and it never looked better, the picture was sharp and clean and the Dark scenes were bright, and this was OUTSIDE so at an indoor theater it would probably look even better.

Obviously BluRay projection looks way better than DVD but last year's showing of THE GREEN SLIME looked pretty good, sure 35mm would look way better but for what it was I enjoyed it. I would hope that when scheduling the marathon events the organizers would follow this template:

35mm if available
True Digital Projection if 35mm in not available
Blu-Ray if True digital projection available
DVD as a last resort (Try to find a different movie before using DVD)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:42 pm 

Hopefully this year's video heavy lineup was a fluke. It was the first time the Chicago group extended the sic-fi marathon to 24 hours (it's always been a noon-2 or 3am event in the past). And I will give them props for keeping ticket prices to $20. Last October they only played 35mm prints. And at the other 24 hour horror marathon at the Music Box (the previous organizers split off, but the Music Box liked the sold out 700 audience enough to continue the marathon tradition) played almost entirely 35mm prints. Only the premiere of Eddie the Sleepwalking Cannibal (which actually looked pretty darn good) and Satan's Little Helper (DVD that still looked ok) were video.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 am 

video vs. film print aside...

How is this event in its 7th year, and this is the first I've heard of it?

Oh well, probably wouldn't have mattered - I don't have the freedom to travel often anymore, so I probably will never get to attend this event, much as I'd love to! A 900-seat theatre? Yes, please! :)

Also, I don't think I ever went to the Portage, when I was living in Chicago - it doesn't sound familiar - did it used to have a different name? From their website, it was bought by new owners in 2006, after I had moved back to Ohio - was it out of business for some time before being bought and restored, or perhaps being used as something other than a theatre?

Anyway, looks like an awesome place! I'll have to visit it next time I'm in Chicago.