The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:45 am 

Being a Tim Burton Film it should go without saying that they chose Johnny Depp to play Dr. Phibes as he seems to star in almost every Tim Burton movie.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:01 pm 

Burton's track record isn't exactly the best...Planet of the Apes, Dark Shadows (I know people could debate that one), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I did watch this back to back with the original, and it felt lifeless compared to the one with Wilder in it - Sidenote - Freddie Highmore does make a good Norman Bates), and possibly an Addams Family remake - but that's a different story - its supposed to be stop motion.

Many of us got to see The Abominable Dr. Phibes last year at the horror marathon, and as much I like Depp, he's no Vincent Price.

I'll say that I'm highly skeptical.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:08 pm 

depechemodeone wrote:
Burton's track record isn't exactly the best...Planet of the Apes, Dark Shadows (I know people could debate that one), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I did watch this back to back with the original, and it felt lifeless compared to the one with Wilder in it - Sidenote - Freddie Highmore does make a good Norman Bates), and possibly an Addams Family remake - but that's a different story - its supposed to be stop motion.

Many of us got to see The Abominable Dr. Phibes last year at the horror marathon, and as much I like Depp, he's no Vincent Price.

I'll say that I'm highly skeptical.

You are 100% correct, there can be only 1 Vincent Price, however I think Depp can make the character his own, he is a great character actor. I liked Dark Shadows but was disappointed in it at the same time, it could have been so much better but I found it entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 am 

Is this confirmed? I only saw this on a rather sketchy news site and haven't seen it reported anywhere I would consider "legitimate". So I took it as a rumor. Not that it would surprise me if it actually happened...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:54 pm 

Charlie and the Chocolate factory was more accurate thatn the Gene Wilder one. Dahl did say on record that he hated the Gene Wilder version.

Anyway No on Phibes remake. No No hell No.