The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:16 am 
Site Admin

pogo wrote:
Perhaps one of them would like to comment on the show.

For my part, I loved it. I liked the film list going in, the surprises were genuinely worthwhile (as opposed to being unbearably difficult to slog through), the crowd was positively subdued compared to other years and (most important) ALL BUT TWO OF THE FEATURES WERE SHOWN ON 35MM.

I was honestly impressed. I haven't had that much fun at a sci-fi marathon in a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with my cohort in crime here. Four of us made the trek to Strosacker Auditorium this past weekend, and all us were impressed. There have been stronger, more cohesive lineups in the past, but this was probably my favorite all-around CWRU experience in many years.

After last year's event (which only featured three 35mm prints and a whole buncha DVD/Blu-Ray content), I was apprehensive about attending this year. For me, the enduring charm of the CWRU Marathons has always been found in their eccentric, eclectic lineups, which have often featured obscure cult classics mixed with recent hits and bona fide genre stalwarts. So to see the near abandonment of this tactic last year (on top of the abundance of video content) was disheartening. On paper, I liked this year's slate of films in advance, but actually seeing almost all of them in GLORIOUS 35MM was a huge boost to my enjoyment. From the cobal blue hues and noirish shadows of BRAZIL to the candy-colored palate of MARS ATTACKS, just about everything in the lineup benefitted from being shown on film. My one criticism is the relative lack of bite to the slate of films; only one R-rated feature and not much in the way of edgy material throughout. But that's a somewhat minor complaint.

And as Zeke said, this was a GREAT crowd as well. "What's this crazy pants talk?" you might say. "The Case crowd, right? The crowd that virtually BEGS to be told to shut the f--k up?" Yeah, that crowd. Sure, there were a few moments of annoyance, but they were few and far between. Hell, I actually witnessed THREE, count 'em THREE examples of crowd members politely asking loudmouths to keep it down. Never in a million light years did I think that I'd see that.

To top it off, I had an almost religious conversion experience with the 35MM screening of DUNE, which has long been my least favorite David Lynch film but which finally wormed its way into my heart in a major way. But more on that after I convince Bruce to show it at our own SF31 (wait, need to redact that last bit of dastardly planning from the public record.)

Kudos the the CWRU Film Society for their hard work and their renewed dedication to the 35MM format. I've always regarded the Case events as the spring training of Marathons, a weekend long cinematic trip in which I don't feel a whole lot of pressure to stay tuned in for the entire thing. But I've really come around on the merits of their Marathon, and it's now a highlight of my filmgoing year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
To top it off, I had an almost religious conversion experience with the 35MM screening of DUNE, which has long been my least favorite David Lynch film but which finally wormed its way into my heart in a major way. But more on that after I convince Bruce to show it at our own SF31 (wait, need to redact that last bit of dastardly planning from the public record.)

Are you going to make it to Boston this year? Looks like we have a significan 'film' quotient this year: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya ... 490378/0#0

And, DUNE? I actually really liked it when I first saw it in theaters. But, I've been afraid to see it ever again since it is so derided.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 am 
Site Admin

L.A. Connection wrote:
Are you going to make it to Boston this year? Looks like we have a significan 'film' quotient this year: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya ... 490378/0#0

I've got a plane ticket and a hotel reservation, so weather permitting I'll be there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:59 pm 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
L.A. Connection wrote:

I've got a plane ticket and a hotel reservation, so weather permitting I'll be there.

See you there! Et Monsieur Jeff Neff?