The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Day of the Doctor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:48 pm 

Fathom Events is doing a special "Day of the Doctor" on November 25.
The purposes seem to be:
1. Take your money. Locally it is being shown at Cinemark for around $15 Simoleans.
2. Introduce the new Doctor? Or perhaps not.
3. Work in some of the old Doctors.
4. Somehow add John Hurt to the Doctor list.

I am not as much of a Whovian as many. But I did see the first episode, live on the BBC, 50 years ago (I was in 10th grade), so I'll probably attend.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-show-2678500

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Post subject: Re: Day of the Doctor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:31 pm 

Well, I am going with a crew of 6.
Anyone else attending at their location? Or live on BBC America?

Review to follow.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Last edited by pogo on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Day of the Doctor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:14 pm 

If you don't like or follow Doctor Who I don't see how the episode could be of any interest.
Eleven Doctors, or twelve or thirteen, depending on Who's counting, you have to have been there for at least a season or two to find The Day of the Doctor to have any depth or creativity.

The internal logic and huge number of self references were what made the special interesting and, indeed, gave it depth. And the major event in the Who universe, which has been hanging over the series for the past seven seasons, provided the basis for the plot line.
It was funny, but most of the jokes came from self deprecating humor and over playing the already established characters of the two most recent incarnations of the Doctor.
Lots of running around and use of aliens and human foils to keep the action going. But it's Doctor Who. If you can't stand silly plot twists, you can't stand the series.

Overall it was a great attempt to please the fans. Even with the genocidal centerpiece, it was a lot lighter than almost all of the regular episodes. I spotted at least two contradictions to events in other episodes which sort of invalidated the genocidal premise - but that's quibbling. Written for the fans, by a fan, it was worth the time and inflated price.

Read several reviews. The one that came closest to my feelings is here. http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/doctor-who/231149/an-in-depth-look-at-doctor-who-the-day-of-the-doctor