The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Watch out! It's coming soon to the Drexel near you again! As many of you are aware, the recent SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK brought with it the triumphant return of 35mm film projection to the Drexel's big screen. As part of our agreement to make that happen I promised a late night trailer show as a benefit to help defray the expense of the reinstallation. At midnight Saturday, January 4th that onslaught will begin with three hours of some of your old favorites such as THE GREEN SLIME, WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS and that appetizing Castleberry's barbecue ad, and a treasure trove of long-neglected previews of beach parties and bad girls, superheroes and stewardesses, Kubrick and Hitchcock, swingers and spies, the Troma Team and Russ Meyer, kiddie pix and cat fights. The suggested donation at the door is $5, but like any annoying fundraiser, I'll badger you at every opportunity to consider adding to that amount as you exit.

My toughest challenge with this is reining myself in and keeping it to a measly three hours. My first list of "must show" trailers ran about 6 to 8 hours. After 2001's 12 hour SCI-FI TRAILERTHON, I'm certain that our Marathoid faithful are up to that challenge, but in the interest of attracting some fresh faces and letting the Drexel staff get some rest, this will be kept to a reasonable length. Think of it as a trailerthon for trailerthons to come. Similar events in the near future are likely to include the Best Picture winners of the last 60 years around Oscar time, Elvis Meets Russ Meyer, sexploitation, rock'n'roll (it really wants to be 12 hours), car craziness (to coincide with the street rods coming to town in the summer), a demented adults-only kids show all-nighter, an all-night endurance test of jaw-droppingly bad rock'n'roll movies, shorts and trailers, and more variety Trailer Trash nights like this one. All on glorious 35mm film!

As I said, we're hoping to attract some fresh blood to the Marathons with this and subsequent trailer late nights. Please consider dragging your 'Thon reluctant friends and relations along to this to sample a taste of what they've been missing. Also consider printing copies of the attached flier, correcting the date and time, and inflicting it on the innocent, unsuspecting masses.

TRAILER TRASH
Save 35mm at the Drexel Benefit
Midnight Saturday, January 4, 2014 AND BACK AGAIN BY UNPOPULAR DEMAND
at the sleepyhead-friendly time of 10:00 PM Saturday, January 18
(It's still not too soon to break some of those New Year's resolutions!)
at the Drexel Theatre
2254 East Main Street
Bexley, Ohio 43209
614 231-1050

This was mentioned at the event, so I'll post it here ... Bruce and the Drexel are planning to run this same set of trailers January 18th, if anyone missed it the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:35 pm 

I shall be there with bells on!

Are bells ok?

Can there be bells?

I'm afraid I must insist on bells.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:56 pm 

Hmm I have no problem getting there. Getting back to my apartment will be an issue. I can chip in 5 dollars for the mile ish trip back. Any Takers?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

AEinhorn wrote:
I shall be there with bells on!

Are bells ok?

Can there be bells?

I'm afraid I must insist on bells.

The bells! THE BELLS!!!

(Charles Laughton, eat your heart out.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:00 pm 

This sounds super cool and I am planning on being there! Will there actually be Castleberrys? I can bring a can....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:18 am 

Awesome! I'm not close enough to Columbus to be able to make it down for a 3 hour show, but to everyone who attends, have fun!!! I remember Bruce and/or Joe mentioning during the Horror thon that something like this was in the works, and I'm glad to see it's happening so soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:06 am 

So, I know I'm going to be there - which one of the others of you band of merry misfits plans to come out?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:21 am 
Site Admin

AEinhorn wrote:
So, I know I'm going to be there - which one of the others of you band of merry misfits plans to come out?

I plan to both be there AND be square.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hot off the presses…

http://www.columbusunderground.com/trai ... heater-hm1

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ystem.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:41 pm 

I'd have loved to attend...
Unfortunately, I had to be at work until midnight, in Dayton - the earliest I could have gotten there would have been 2am, and I just couldn't justify making the drive at that point.

How did it go? Good enough for another one in the near future? If so, I'll try to make it to that one!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:19 pm 

I wasn't there but I did see a tweet from someone that there's going to be another one in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:11 am 
Site Admin

This was mentioned at the event, so I'll post it here ... Bruce and the Drexel are planning to run this same set of trailers January 18th, if anyone missed it the first time.

There's a possibility they may move the time earlier, so check here for a confirmation from Bruce to be sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:19 am 

D'oh! That's the weekend of the Cleveland marathon - which I JUST today got cleared to go to.

So..... Cleveland, Trailer Trash... Cleveland, Trailer Trash... Cleveland, Trailer Trash?

I don't know. Guess I'll leave it up to my friends. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Here's an article that's a good summary of where things are at this point and germane to our 35mm resurrection.

http://www.northwestchicagofilmsociety. ... in-review/