The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:17 am 

For any of my fellow Northeast Ohio film lovers, here's some exciting news: a new independent movie theater, the Nightlight Cinema, is opening in downtown Akron: http://itsjustmovies.com/new-akron-indi ... t-to-open/. It's a 50-seat, one-screen venue which raised part of its money through a Kickstarter. Some of the first films to be shown will be Jim Jarmusch's romantic vampire drama ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE and the postapocalyptic SNOWPIERCER. It's a small theater and, for the time being, only has digital projection capabilities, but I'm excited that it could be a place to catch screenings of new and restored sci-fi and horror films, not to mention the type of arthouse and independent films for which I previously had to drive to theaters like the Cedar Lee in Cleveland.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:04 pm 

I went last night to see ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE, here are a few thoughts if anyone is interested...I know there's gotta be some other NE Ohio marathoids out there, right?

- There were a few minor opening week-type kinks with the concession stand/ticket counter, but nothing that a little experience won't fix
- The theater space was intimate but well-done. Picture was great and audio was good for the most part--some of the dialogue was a little hard to hear; not sure if it was the sound system or just the fact that it was a Jim Jarmusch movie
- While the theater lineup already includes a couple midnight sci-fi screenings in the coming weeks, namely SNOWPIERCER and COHERENCE (which showed at this year's Boston Sci-Fi Marathon), I think the space is too small for anything as big and complicated as a marathon. Guess I'll have to keep driving to Columbus... :wink:
- Going in, I wondered if I'd end up adding ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE to my marathon wish list, but despite the presence of vampires, I don't think it would work well at a horror marathon. It was funny and thought-provoking and bizarre, but the pace was very slow, the dialogue was very deliberate, and the plot took a backseat. My fiancee and I enjoyed the movie a lot, but I don't think it's a marathon pick...unless you want to give everyone a free nap at 3:00 in the morning.

So yeah, cool theater with a few bugs to work out and a lot of potential for cool and interesting film screenings. If anyone else in the 330 wants to meetup and stage a takeover of the Nightlight, hit me up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 am 
Site Admin

agentstinky wrote:
- While the theater lineup already includes a couple midnight sci-fi screenings in the coming weeks, namely SNOWPIERCER and COHERENCE (which showed at this year's Boston Sci-Fi Marathon), I think the space is too small for anything as big and complicated as a marathon. Guess I'll have to keep driving to Columbus... :wink:

I caught SNOWPIERCER down at the Drexel on the 4th and was overall very pleased. It tends toward cliche and stretches a bit of credibility, but overall it's very exciting, the visuals are well done, and the star power really pulls off some great performances. I like the internationalized feel of it as well.

I was also pretty happy with COHERENCE at Boston. I'd thought it would have made a good premiere at the last Sci-Fi, but we were already fully booked and the distribution company seemed reluctant to entertain premieres outside of a festival circuit. *shrug*