The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:59 pm 

This is a chance for Joe to watch his all time favorite Movie without having to worry about the Audience and other Marathon Matters. Also If your like me you can watch Dawn of the Dead twice in October and love every frame so don't let that stop you from going to this event:

Friday October 9th:
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Friday the 13th (1980)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:54 pm 

Anyone else going to this?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:51 pm 

This is the official order the films are showing in, I asked them on twitter why they would show DAWN before NIGHT and they said "think of it as a prequel" which of coarse is just stupid and lazy but oh well........

Friday the 13th (1980)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:15 pm 

If my wife wasn't out of town, I might. But I can't see forcing the girls to sleep in the car tonight so I can go.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:22 am 

Ok so Friday night I went to the South High Drive-In Horror Movie Event and had fun but it wasn't without it's disappointments.

First off lets talk about the venue. This was the first Drive-in I ever went to as a child so yes I very fond memories of it as a youngster but as a young adult I saw this Drive-in drawing a less than desirable crowd, in fact the last time I went to South High Drive-In was in 1996 to see "Independence Day" and I had to move my car 3 times to avoid the overwhelming smell of pot in the air and finally I just left and didn't go back until this past Friday Night. I was happy that there was a small and very calm and respectful crowd Friday night which eased some of my fears about returning to this Drive-in.

The First Movie was the original Friday the 13th and was obliviously an HD DCP because the picture and sound was darn near perfect. As always seeing Friday the 13th on the big screen is always a treat.

The Second movie was to be the original Dawn of the Dead but I instantly knew something was wrong, I don't recall the George Ramero classic being distributed by Universal Pictures and than it hit me OMG IT's THE 2004 REMAKE NOOOOOOO!!
Needless to say I was depressed but I stayed and watched it anyway.

The Third movie was set to start but wait whats that say on the screen "insert disc" but Night of the Living Dead is not even available on Blu-Ray is it?? So I assume I am about to watch a DVD, the picture wasn't to bad but about 20 minutes in the picture starts to freeze and skip and once I realized this wasn't going to stop I started my car and headed home.

So overall I give the South High Drive-In an A for effort but a D for Presentation. I hope they have another event like this next year and they learn from their mistakes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:25 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:32 am 

Ghost wrote:
Ok so Friday night I went to the South High Drive-In Horror Movie Event and had fun but it wasn't without it's disappointments.

First off lets talk about the venue. This was the first Drive-in I ever went to as a child so yes I very fond memories of it as a youngster but as a young adult I saw this Drive-in drawing a less than desirable crowd, in fact the last time I went to South High Drive-In was in 1996 to see "Independence Day" and I had to move my car 3 times to avoid the overwhelming smell of pot in the air and finally I just left and didn't go back until this past Friday Night. I was happy that there was a small and very calm and respectful crowd Friday night which eased some of my fears about returning to this Drive-in.

The First Movie was the original Friday the 13th and was obliviously an HD DCP because the picture and sound was darn near perfect. As always seeing Friday the 13th on the big screen is always a treat.

The Second movie was to be the original Dawn of the Dead but I instantly knew something was wrong, I don't recall the George Ramero classic being distributed by Universal Pictures and than it hit me OMG IT's THE 2004 REMAKE NOOOOOOO!!
Needless to say I was depressed but I stayed and watched it anyway.

The Third movie was set to start but wait whats that say on the screen "insert disc" but Night of the Living Dead is not even available on Blu-Ray is it?? So I assume I am about to watch a DVD, the picture wasn't to bad but about 20 minutes in the picture starts to freeze and skip and once I realized this wasn't going to stop I started my car and headed home.

So overall I give the South High Drive-In an A for effort but a D for Presentation. I hope they have another event like this next year and they learn from their mistakes.

I've definitely had my share of bad experiences at The South High Drive In. I was trying to watch "As Above So Below". The movie had been on only a few minutes, and here comes some jackhole, telling my big sister (who drove us there) to move, so there goes MY concentration. Another time, I was trying to watch "The Wolverine", and somebody had their giant, gas guzzling vehicle running while they were trying to help jumpstart another vehicle. This is a nice thing to do, but they couldn't have waited until the movie was OVER??? I love watching movies, and I get VERY heated whenever it is ruined for me, for any reason. About the remake of Dawn of the Dead, I have posted my feelings about this movie on another part of this forum, but to save you the trouble of looking for my comments, I have presented them here for you, if you WANT to read them ;)

"You all are going to hate me for saying this, but ahh screw it. Here goes (sucks in a huuuuge breath):
I love the 2004 remake more than the original!
(exhales) WHEWWW!! Let me explain why. I LOVE!!!! the original. That being said, I understand the idea of running zombies is not only not true to the original, but even possibly impossible since dead people have rotted flesh and wouldn't be able to run, if they could move at all, but the fact is, walking zombies simply would not be scary or threatening in a 2004 Horror movie, and would have made people laugh or bored. Besides, zombies are fictitious to begin with already, so running zombies are just one more notch in fiction in an already fictitious scenario. I think the remake vastly improved upon the original by having more characters, as well as a power struggle for control over the mall, and several of the people having to come to terms with loved ones becoming zombies. It had a lot of heart, sad moments, tragedy, emotion, as well as one of the GREATEST Horror movie intros FOR ALL TIME!!! (Come on, a kick ass montage of zombie Horror set to Johnny Cash's "When The Man Comes Around"? That's solid gold awesome, in my opinion). The movie even had at least three appearances by actors who appeared in the original. I also think the music was VERY well done. Lastly, the damn movie even made me jump, something the original never succeeded in doing. It was during the moment where
a zombie approaches the window that Mekhi Phifer's character Andre was near."

"Well, what would have been the point of having a remake that is too similar to the original? Would you rather have a shot for shot remake EXACTLY like the original? We all saw how terrible that idea is when the remake of Psycho was released in theaters. I think that any good remake SHOULD be different from the original! That's the entire point of a remake (or at least it SHOULD be): to improve upon the original or at least offer a different perspective. Dawn Of The Dead (2004) has a lot more in common with the original than just survivors of a zombie apocalypse hiding out in a shopping mall. In both versions, there is a pregnant woman. In both versions, the survivors rely on television broadcasts, which eventually stop airing, only adding to the intensity and horror of the situation, since the survivors had no CLUE what was happening with the rest of the world outside. In both versions, one of the survivors is on the verge of becoming a zombie and must be killed by a black man who was strong enough to do such an unpleasant and sad task. In both versions, there are strong, tough, blonde haired, blue eyed women whose lovers get attacked by zombies, and that survive all the way to the end of the movie. In both versions, there are intruders in the mall near the end of the movie (biker gang 1978, zombies 2014). In both versions, the survivors set out to find any island at all, not even sure if they would find an island. "have almost nothing in common"? HA lol As for the chainsaw incident, I love that scene too! The actress in that scene was really beautiful and professional. You might even say, a "CUT" above the rest!?? (dodges tomatoes)"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:35 pm 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
"You all are going to hate me for saying this, but ahh screw it. Here goes (sucks in a huuuuge breath): I love the 2004 remake more than the original!

I don't hate the remake, in fact the last half of the movie is pretty entertaining and had it been named anything other than DAWN OF THE DEAD I would probably forgive most of it's faults. I thought Ving Rhames, Sarah Polley and Jake Weber all give a solid performance and watching Ty Burrell be a complete DB and than seeing him play a dorky nerd on Modern Family is cool. I just think Hollywood shouldn't slap an awesome title like DAWN OF THE DEAD on just any movie.