The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:36 am 

They are WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, the original WAR OF THE WORLDS (no scientology version), A BOY AND HIS DOG (a newly restored print), 1984 version of 1984, AFTER THE END OF THE WORLD, IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON, BLACK SHEEP and THE LAST MIMZY.

2008 marks the 100th Anniversary of Producer George Pal's birth, so there are two of his early landmark works.

Go to sf.theboard.net for more info and to criticize the choices.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or more of these films show up in Ohio in April (?). :wink:

Last edited by L.A. Connection on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:13 pm 

Need to find the history, but I was thinking we saw when worlds collide not too many years back. I think it has been longer since we saw War of the Worlds, but without the cheat sheet, can't recall. And no time to dig around and look today.

Last edited by Dennis on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:47 pm 

WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE debuted at SF19, a mere 6 years ago, so probably not a candidate for repeat. WAR OF THE WORLDS, on the other hand last played 12 years ago way back at SF10 and would be welcome back with open arms, by me at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:41 am 

War of the Worlds played at the 2nd Sci Fi Marathon as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:24 am 

Boston's SF Marathon announced 4 more titles this week.

This is the Lineup so far:

A BOY AND HIS DOG ,1984 (1984), IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON, EVER SINCE THE WORLD ENDED ,WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953), WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE.

sf.theboard.net for more details and to critique 'em.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:27 pm 

Wow..They have 2 already that were on my wishlist! Looks great so far. Might have to plan a trip to Boston!

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:20 pm 

BLACK SHEEP and THE LAST MIMZY added today.

sf.theboard.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:22 pm 

2001: A Space Odyssey

and

JOURNEY TO THE 7th PLANET added today!

Pretty much complete list:

JOURNEY TO THE SEVENTH PLANET
A BOY AND HIS DOG (newly restored brand new print!)
WAR OF THE WORLDS (orig)
WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
EVER SINCE THE WORLD ENDED
BLACK SHEEP
LAST MIMZY
IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:04 am 

So if we get two films that Boston has (which seems to have been the case the last few years) any bets on what we get? I'm not saying these are films I want (or don't want) I'm just playing a prediction game.

A Boy And His Dog - When I saw the words new print, that kinda sealed it for me. It only played here once, it would likely get a good reception and that whole new print thing likely will lure Bruce in. :)

Last Mimzy - Less certain of this one. However, it strikes me as falling into the (I'm trying to be diplomatic here) overlooked recent Hollywood film that Bruce likes to toss in from time to time. Movies like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and Equilibrium.

There is another movie on that list I think has just about as good a shot, but I am sticking with just two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:46 pm 

Dennis wrote:
So if we get two films that Boston has (which seems to have been the case the last few years) any bets on what we get? I'm not saying these are films I want (or don't want) I'm just playing a prediction game.

A Boy And His Dog - When I saw the words new print, that kinda sealed it for me. It only played here once, it would likely get a good reception and that whole new print thing likely will lure Bruce in. :)

Last Mimzy - Less certain of this one. However, it strikes me as falling into the (I'm trying to be diplomatic here) overlooked recent Hollywood film that Bruce likes to toss in from time to time. Movies like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and Equilibrium.

There is another movie on that list I think has just about as good a shot, but I am sticking with just two.

To be fair, I think Jeff is the one who insists on booking the more recent films and he is usually right on the money as far as knowing what the audience will like. (Slither would have been a crowd pleaser had it shown up last year). In my opinion, Mimzy doesn't fit us. It was merely okay and I don't think it was overlooked really.

I know for a fact that we will see at least two or more of these films on our schedule. I'm guessing things will fall into place probably very soon after Boston is finished and Bruce will let us all know then.

There are plenty of "overlooked" or underappreciated films released in the last couple of years, I am hoping that Mimzy is not one of the ones we plunder from our friends to the East this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:42 pm 

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, you can come over and hijack the print of LAST MIMZY before we get subjected to it out in Boston!

:roll: :wink:
IamJacksUserID wrote:
Dennis wrote:

To be fair, I think Jeff is the one who insists on booking the more recent films and he is usually right on the money as far as knowing what the audience will like. (Slither would have been a crowd pleaser had it shown up last year). In my opinion, Mimzy doesn't fit us. It was merely okay and I don't think it was overlooked really.

I know for a fact that we will see at least two or more of these films on our schedule. I'm guessing things will fall into place probably very soon after Boston is finished and Bruce will let us all know then.

There are plenty of "overlooked" or underappreciated films released in the last couple of years, I am hoping that Mimzy is not one of the ones we plunder from our friends to the East this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:18 pm 

One up, One down.

In a situation I'm sure is just as familiar to the Ohio Marathoners, we lost the print of WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE. :(

Added today to the lineup was 2005's A SOUND OF THUNDER.