The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:20 pm 

Hello all,

Long time Columbus 'Thoner just moved to Springfield.
Glad to say that I will definately be back this year, but I also ran into some folks who are having a marathon here at the Little Art Theatre in Yellow Springs as well, the weekend following the fantastic new 24 hour masterpiece that Bruce and Joe are planning.

Zack McGhee, who is in charge of the marathon, is offering $5 off your ticket (at the door) with a stub from the Oct 17 thon at Grandview. A link to the website is below (if I did it correctly).

See you all on the 17th.

http://www.ohiohorrorfest.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:51 pm 

Thanks for posting this! I just wanted to add that if you buy tickets online, you can still get the discount. You'll get $5 back when you come to the box office to collect your tickets and hand over your Columbus marathon stub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:05 am 

I went to the first one, and while not bad, it wasn’t good enough for me to go back for the second one. After looking at the Website for this year … I may have to make a trip to Yellow Springs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:40 am 

Night of the Creeps hmmm, I have to think about it. Joe could try to get the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

I went to Horrorfest I, but the missus (at the time) wanted to leave midway through the second film.

It's a nice little venue, and the staff was really quite pleasant. Would have been easily worth staying under different circumstances. I was living in Cinci at the time, which was much closer. I'm doubting I'll attend this year.

There weren't many people there the first year, but the crowd was enthusiastic without being obnoxious. I'd highly recommend trying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:43 pm 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
I went to Horrorfest I, but the missus (at the time) wanted to leave midway through the second film.

It's a nice little venue, and the staff was really quite pleasant. Would have been easily worth staying under different circumstances. I was living in Cinci at the time, which was much closer. I'm doubting I'll attend this year.

There weren't many people there the first year, but the crowd was enthusiastic without being obnoxious. I'd highly recommend trying it.

Not to delve too deeply into your personal life, but the "at the time" in parentheses says a lot (and made me chuckle). My past and current missus went to three complete marathons with me before deciding it was not for her.

The lineups for Yellow Springs have been solid, and it sounds like the enthusiasm is there, but... From personal experience, the "little" in Little Art can't be stressed enough. It's not the kind of theater I would want to spend the night in. But then again, maybe that makes it perfect for a horror marathon. Especially when exiting the theater the following day, you still feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
VitruvianZeke wrote:

Not to delve too deeply into your personal life, but the "at the time" in parentheses says a lot (and made me chuckle). My past and current missus went to three complete marathons with me before deciding it was not for her.

Yes, marriages come and marriages go, but through it all the Marathon stands tough!

Although now that I've said that, I wonder if the couple who came to the 1992 SF Marathon on their honeymoon (and won the costume contest when the wife regaled the crowd with the line "my husband said the Marathon is better than sex")is still hitched?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:58 pm 

I have often wondered about the two of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:51 am 

Weird, I was just talking about them the other day to some folks at work. They and the costume contest, quasi flasher at the Riffe (who I heard is no a respectable mother type) are a couple of my favorite costume contest stories. I always loved the costume contests which is why I have been throwing money at them the last few marathons hoping to get some of that creative spark back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:12 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
From personal experience, the "little" in Little Art can't be stressed enough. It's not the kind of theater I would want to spend the night in.

That’s one of the biggest negatives about this marathon. Very narrow auditorium, a lobby that can only accommodate 3-4 people at a time, and a bathroom barely big enough to turn around in. It’s rather uncomfortable but then again, that helps me to stay awake all night.

Also I just want to say that I’m not bashing this marathon. I love the staff (a great group of people), they offered pizza and soda that they don’t ordinarily carry, and the film lineup is always superb.