The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:19 pm 

Per the Columbus Dispatch (http://tinyurl.com/23csyua):

"A monthly series at the Grandview Theatre will mark the return of Fritz the Nite Owl as a host of horror films.
The first new program taped with Fritz Peerenboom will be shown at midnight Oct. 30 at the theater, 1247 Grandview Ave.
Admission is free.
“Episode 01: Night of the Living Dead” will include the movie along with taped commentary by Peerenboom, vintage-style — but fake — commercial breaks and the concluding Star-Spangled Banner.
So went the format for the original late-night shows during the late 1960s and ’70s on WBNS-TV (Channel 10).
The new episodes were shot by producer Mike McGraner.
The Owl, a Peerenboom documentary directed by McGraner and produced by the Dino Tripodis company Never the Luck Productions, will be released next year.
For more information, visit http://www.fritzlives.com to sign up for email updates sent an email to niteowltv@yahoo.com

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:18 pm 

Yeah,been helping Mike with my old videotapes of Fritz from back in the 80s. He was just on our local Marion station,WMRN,and made the official announcement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:18 am 

Great news. I will attend every episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:39 am 

I wish I could make them, but doubt I will. I wish them great luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:37 pm 

I just got this email from the Nite Owl Website:

Thanks to everyone who has been interested in keeping up with the return of Nite Owl Theatre. Here are the latest details:

Saturday, October 30th at midnight, come out to the Grandview Theatre to see the premiere of Nite Owl Theatre Episode 01: Night Of The Living Dead.

Nite Owl Theatre will be a monthly series and a web series as well. You'll be able to see the episodes on the big screen at Grandview Theatre as well as watch them online at www.fritzlives.com Video coverage of the episode screenings will be included in the upcoming documentary, The Owl.

The episodes will be done in the same style they were on WBNS 10tv from 1974-1991 complete with tv commercial breaks and Fritz's famous bumpers. A few surprises will be included as well, so until the lights come up, stay glued to the screen :)

If you would like to own the episodes, DVD's will be for sale in the future as well as t-shirts and other goodies, so show your Fritz pride by picking up some Nite Owl merch.

We plan on keeping this going for as long as we can, so we need your help to spread the word. If you have any questions or would like to request an interview, please feel free to contact us at any time at niteowltv@yahoo.com .

Oh, and did I mention that the screening is FREE??

The theatre also serves alcohol, so what's better than beer, popcorn, and Fritz? ;)

Come out and celebrate a Columbus legend making his return, and I promise you a good time.

Long live the Owl!

-Mike McGraner (director/producer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:22 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:29 am 

I just dubbed off another old Fritz videotape of Fritz hosting Double Chiller in the 80s. Man,I was thinking not too many people remembered but I keep getting requests from time to time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:16 pm 

Any chance that the episodes make a appearance on local TV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:21 am 

My good friend Dave told me about the Fritz buzz on the board, so I felt I owed it to you to join and answer your Fritz questions, concerns, etc.

I am saying it here first and will e-mail the mailing list in a bit, but as of today, Episode 1: Night Of The Living Dead is done! The final render is complete. It clocks in at a scarily precise run time of 2 hours, no minutes, no seconds, and no frames. I guess the Owl gods were watching over us on that one.

For those wondering how this came to be, it was 2008. My dear friend, the late "Andyman" Davis and I were sharing a drink at his bar when I told him who my childhood hero was. He informed me that Fritz lived in his neighborhood. We were put in touch with each other and after a few weeks of convincing him (he wasn't sure anyone would care (!)), The Owl, a documentary was born. We made a list of who we would interview, people we could pull old clips from, etc.

My goal of making the documentary was to maybe spark some new interest in possibly reviving Nite Owl Theatre. Thanks to the jazz station for their "change of format", I got a phone call from Fritz delivering the bad news, and as we talked, it was a no-brainer. We could just do it ourselves. It took no convincing this time. I made sure to tell Fritz my intentions of keeping Nite Owl Theatre exactly like it was, complete with commercial breaks and Fritz's famous bumpers, but minus the Channel 10 aspect. We then sifted through a list of films that were available to us via public domain, and he gave me his blessing to start. Within 10 days, we had shot Episode 1. Knowing that it would take more time in post than it did to shoot, we decided to set a launch date of Halloween. It was also a perfect date due to NOTLD being or first featured movie.

Fritz was such a pro, showing up to the shoot more prepared than anyone I had ever seen, and he had only about 2 days or so to plan what he was gonna say. He brought cue cards that he didn't even need to use (they just needed to be there). As he discussed the effects that Channel 10 would have and how they would do them, my co-director, co-editor, and co-producer Matt Parker and I looked at each other and smiled before Matt told Fritz, "We have a button we push for that now."

Telling you anything else about the episode would spoil the surprises contained within, so mum is the word. But I assure you that although the days of sneaking downstairs to watch are over, on Saturday night, October 30th at midnight, all those memories will return as the Grandview Theatre hosts the first of a monthly series. Fritz hit this one out of the park!

With two more episodes scheduled to shoot at the end of the month, and more on the books, if you keep watching, we'll keep shooting!

Visit www.fritzlives.com and sign the mailing list by e-mailing us at niteowltv@yahoo.com

See you in October!

-Mike

ps - the documentary is still coming out. It just won't be until we have finished gathering our interviews, etc. There's still a ways to go. For now, enjoy the episodes ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:08 am 
Site Admin

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:01 am 

I still have the old videotape of Fritz hosting NOTLD on Channel 19.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:54 pm 

Hmm Channel 10. Today Channel 10 no longer exist. It known as WBNS DT virtual channel 10.1 physical RF channel UHF 21.1 and 21.2 for the weather utility sub channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:35 pm 

For those attending October's screening, these t-shirts will be available. Here's a first look at the design and please chime in with your t-shirt size at niteowltv@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:54 am 

That's awesome! I have fond memories of watching Fritz back when I was like 10 years old. I hope I'll be able to make the drive to Columbus to catch some of these!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:38 am 

If you cannot make it into Columbus, the episode will also be streaming on www.fritzlives.com, but only until the next episode launches. Previous episodes will then be available for purchase on dvd.