The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:52 pm 

The annual Music Box Massacre is back in Chicago on October 9th-10th. Personally not my favorite lineup ever, but as we've all said before, it's the event itself that makes it all worth it. This is a really well run event that I'm happy my years of lobbying helped bring to Chicago (though I have no involvement running the marathon). There are some differences between the two cities' events. Chicago shows almost no trailers but it runs frighteningly on time. Sometimes there will be a terrible local band play for 20 minutes in the middle of the night, sometimes not. The theater is huge and seats around 700 people and the marathon sells out every year.

http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/collecti ... assacre-6/

Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney Sr. with Live Organ)
The Raven (Boris Karloff & Bela Lugosi)
The Wolf Man (Lon Chaney Jr.)
Psycho (50th Anniversary!)
Killer Klowns From Outer Space (with the Chiodo Brothers in Person!)
Rabid (David Cronenberg)
Pet Sematary
The Funhouse (Tobe Hooper)
Theater of Blood (Vincent Price)
The House By The Cemetery (Lucio Fulci)
Fright Night (80’s Awesomeness!)

Supposedly there are 2 more films that will play, but they aren't confirmed yet. A lot of good films, but nothing really jumps out at me as a classic (obviously Psycho is but I've seen that a million times). I'm looking forward to Rabid and Fright Night the most. The House By the Cemetery will be interesting, not Fulci's best by a mile, but a rare chance to see it on the big screen. Hopefully the other 2 movies really kick a**!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:34 am 

MEATFETISH wrote:

Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney Sr. with Live Organ)
The Raven (Boris Karloff & Bela Lugosi)
The Wolf Man (Lon Chaney Jr.)
Psycho (50th Anniversary!)
Killer Klowns From Outer Space (with the Chiodo Brothers in Person!)
Rabid (David Cronenberg)
Pet Sematary
The Funhouse (Tobe Hooper)
Theater of Blood (Vincent Price)
The House By The Cemetery (Lucio Fulci)
Fright Night (80’s Awesomeness!)

Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse OMG I have wanted to see that on the Big Screen for years. Are these all 35MM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:17 pm 

I heard about this a week or two ago and thought the lineup was supercool. I may be heading to Chicago that weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:15 am 

Almost always they are 35mm. Though last year they projected the dvd of From Beyond, I guess because they wanted to play the uncut version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm 

George Romero's Season of the Witch has just been added. I hate the movie and find it a tedious and pretentious movie. George Romero himself doesn't like it. I have no idea why it would play in an already week lineup IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:44 pm 

Basket Case added as the last film to the Chicago Music Box Massacre! I'm excited for that brilliant bit of schlock, but the rest of the lineup is just okay in my opinion. Columbus kicks its A**! Hope I can attend both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:37 pm 

Chicago has announced a date and a partial lineup for this year.

http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/features/music-box-massacre-7

Unfortunately, it is on the same date as ours this year, so most assuredly the titles you see listed will not be playing at our marathon.

I'm not really worried about it, since all indications are that Joe, Bruce and the Grandview have been working diligently well in advance of the October event and have plenty of great selections for us lined up. Not that I am overly anxious or unhealthily excited or anything... I'm just sayin'.

I don't know if MEATFETISH is the only Chicago resident here, but I'm sure this will be quite the Sophie's Choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:52 pm 

Wow what a piss poor lineup. I've seen these movies nth times. The Ohio lineup is going to be better if not superior to the Chicago lineup. Heck Joe is making an effort to screen Flesh for Frankenstein in 3D. Do they care about horror movies at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:06 pm 

willcail wrote:
Wow what a piss poor lineup. I've seen these movies nth times. The Ohio lineup is going to be better if not superior to the Chicago lineup. Heck Joe is making an effort to screen Flesh for Frankenstein in 3D. Do they care about horror movies at all?

I'm pretty sure that "better" and "superior" mean the same thing. And for someone who is constantly requesting schlock, I'd think you'd like this lineup. And if it's so "piss poor", why have you seen these movies nth times? I thinks it's borderline insane to ask if they even care about movies, just because you don't like the lineup. Anyone who puts on one of these events obviously loves films, so just drop that nonsense. Seeing Gates of Hell on the big screen has been a goal of mine for years. The Sentinel is a crazy, and little seen movie from the 70s. From what I hear, From Dusk 'Til Dawn went over really well a few years ago in Columbus. It's not a perfect lineup to be sure, but there's still enough room for 4 or 5 more movies. I'm assuming since Hershell Gordon Lewis is a guest, we'll get one of his crapterpieces, but since they show very few trailers at ours, they'll probably have 13 features. One trend I've noticed in Chicago over the years, is that we're moving away from showing too many actual classics in favor of more obscure or underground titles. I personally like more of a balance than we've had the last couple of years, but it's always a blast. Same with the Columbus marathons. The thing I miss out here is all the trailers and short films. But then again, we've never dropped a film because of running late and usually get 13 features. Ask Jaws3DFan about our marathons and he'll tell you about the differences and similarities. I was really hoping to make both marathons this year, but I can't justify driving out there when I have one in biking distance from me on the same day here. From what I know about your lineup (with a little inside information) you will almost definitely have the better lineup (unless the other 4-5 unannounced titles blow me away). But I'll have fun here and the following week there will be a horror triple feature at a different theater, with Shaun of the Dead as the only announced film so far, and I'll go to that and have fun too. 'Tis the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:54 am 

WOW these 4 movies are worth the price of admission alone:

The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Gates of Hell
The Vampire Lovers
Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things

To bad it's on the same weekend as ours I was looking forward to another trip to Chicago, the sci-fi marathon was a blast!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:58 am 

I concur, the Chicago marathon has a decent line-up. Would I drive to Chicago for it alone? Maybe, maybe not, but it's not a bad line-up at all.

If it were local, I'd certainly consider attending it.

Of course, since it's the same weekend as our event, it's not even on the table. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed with Jim, Aaron and Tim about the relative strengths of the lineup. You can't really go wrong with DR. PHIBES, especially to celebrate Price's 100th birthday (hmmmm.....wonder what we'll be showing to celebrate the occasion?....) After its screening at the 4th 2-Headed Marathon, I'm convinced that FROM DUSK 'TIL DAWN is a great 'thon flick, VAMPIRE LOVERS is fairly classic Hammer and CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS is not revived that often.

The really interesting choice is Bergman's HOUR OF THE WOLF. It's not a traditional horror film, but it's still a deeply disturbing and atmospheric study in subtle terror. I'd love to see it at a Marathon, but ya know, I'm sorta busy that weekend. Well, one of these days I'll finally make it out to Chicago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:05 am 

The Ohio Horror Marathon always does a great job in its lineup. Due to Joe's ability to book films that haven't screened in Columbus in ages. I was glad that Husu screened last year. The Music Box lineup doesn't impress me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 am 

willcail wrote:
The Ohio Horror Marathon always does a great job in its lineup. Due to Joe's ability to book films that haven't screened in Columbus in ages. I was glad that Husu screened last year. The Music Box lineup doesn't impress me.

When was the last time Ohio played CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:57 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
You can't really go wrong with DR. PHIBES, especially to celebrate Price's 100th birthday (hmmmm.....wonder what we'll be showing to celebrate the occasion?....)

There is always the crowd favorites that have played on many occasions like:

House on Haunted Hill
The Tingler
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Fly

Than there are a few others that have played but not as ofter:

Witchfinder General
The Masque of the Red Death
The Raven
Pit and the Pendulum
Theater of Blood
The Last Man on Earth

But than there are movies that have never shown:

House of Wax (in 3-D, two 3-D movies in one Marathon...Sweet)
House of the Long Shadows (Not on DVD)
Bloodbath at the House of Death (Not on DVD)
Shock
Tower of London
Tales of Terror
House of Usher
Return of the Fly
Twice-Told Tales
The Comedy of Terrors
Scream and Scream Again
Cry of the Banshee
Dr. Phibes Rises Again
The Monster Club
Dead Heat

Personally I would love to see one of these, all 3 are Extremely Rare :

House of Wax (in 3-D or 2-D)
House of the Long Shadows
Bloodbath at the House of Death

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.