The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

*UPDATE-5/22/11*
As announced at the Marathon via a teaser flier (and partially teased by two trailers), the first four films are:

-A restored, archival 35MM print of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with LIVE MUSIC!

-An ultra-rare 35MM print of the bizarre 1968 Japanese cult classic Goke: Bodysnatcher From Hell

-Udo Kier as the good doctor in Paul Morrissey's gory and erotic Flesh for Frankenstein (a.k.a. Andy Warhol's Frankenstein)...potentially in 3-D!

-Ti West's modern terror classic The House of the Devil

Yes, loyal Marathoids, we're proud to announce that we have the first four titles for this fall's 3rd Annual SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK booked. Their identities will be revealed at this weekend's Science Fiction Marathon, but until then here's a teaser to help you while away the remaining hours until we all agree not fall asleep for a day.

Each of the following four pictures corresponds to one of the films that we've booked, albeit in an indirect manner. Can you guess what the first additions to the lineup are? And just to test all of you, try to figure this out without doing a search for these images and their source.

Until Saturday...

Last edited by Joe Neff on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:18 pm 

Wow, 4 films already. Color me impressed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:42 pm 

I guess -

Inferno
Ghost Story
The House of the Devil
Audrey Rose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:51 pm 

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    Goke: Bodysnatcher From Hell
    Fresh For Frankenstein (Hopefully in 3-D)
    The House of the Devil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:13 pm 

A quick google shows that GOKE is not available on DVD at the moment, so that will be a rare theatrical experience. Flesh For Frankenstein (isn't that a Billy Idol song?), if shown in 3D will be a unique theatrical experience. Hopefully, there will be live music for Caligari, making that special.

You see where I'm going with this?

Awesome, I cannot wait!

I was mostly very sad this weekend. Although I was disappointed last year and made the decision to attend Joe's marathon this year, a decision I am not regretting, it was still difficult to not think about wishing I was at the Drexel yesterday.

House of the Devil I have not heard much about, but watching the trailer it does not really look like Joe's cup of tea. So we shall see on that one, who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:11 pm 

I have a 25% guess success rate! I figured I was being too lazy with Inferno, one of the Udo Kier/Andy Warhol Frankenstein/Dracula movies was my next guess. Way off on the other two, I followed Santo & Johnny to "sleepwalker" Alice Krige and Bodysnatching Boris to director Robert Wise.

A nice batch of confirmations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:24 pm 

Glad to see that list. I must've missed the announcement about the 4 movies at the marathon. I only caught the mention of the two trailers that were played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, so the picture clues were:

*Udo Kier's shot from Suspiria was a clue to his involvement in Flesh for Frankenstein

*Santo and Johnny's biggest hit was Sleepwalk, which leads us to the famous sleepwalker Cesare in The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

*Ben Stiller starred in Greenberg, which co-starred mumblecore queen Greta Gerwig as his conflicted love interest. She also has a supporting role in Ti West's excellent The House of the Devil (which, incidentally JacksUserID, I totally love and thought would be perfect for the Marathon when I first saw it).

*Boris Karloff is the titular Body Snatcher in Robert Wise's film, which connects to Goke: Bodysnatcher from Hell

Cleazer, I handed out teaser fliers in line before the doors opened on Saturday. I'll try to get a PDF or jpg. up soon for those who didn't get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:42 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
Okay, so the picture clues were:

*Udo Kier's shot from Suspiria was a clue to his involvement in Flesh for Frankenstein

*Santo and Johnny's biggest hit was Sleepwalk, which leads us to the famous sleepwalker Cesare in The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

*Ben Stiller starred in Greenberg, which co-starred mumblecore queen Greta Gerwig as his conflicted love interest. She also has a supporting role in Ti West's excellent The House of the Devil (which, incidentally JacksUserID, I totally love and thought would be perfect for the Marathon when I first saw it).

*Boris Karloff is the titular Body Snatcher in Robert Wise's film, which connects to Goke: Bodysnatcher from Hell

Cleazer, I handed out teaser fliers in line before the doors opened on Saturday. I'll try to get a PDF or jpg. up soon for those who didn't get one.

Well, I guess my puzzlement was unfounded, so that settles that.

The Santo&Johnny thing was way too obscure and non-specific, but all the other connections make sense. You always seem to have a knack for making your guessing games "google-proof."

Post subject: ideas
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:55 am 

I was going to suggest these films for this year's horror marathon, but I waited too long LOL I would love to see these films at a future horror marathon in an "anthology themed" horror marathon:

TALES OF TERROR
TALES FROM THE HOOD
TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE MOVIE
CAMFIRE TALES
GRIM PRAIRIE TALES
AFTER MIDNIGHT
TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE
TALES FROM THE CRYPT
THE VAULT OF HORROR
NIGHTMARES
THE OFFSPRING A.K.A. FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM
CREEPSHOW
CREEPSHOW 2
CREEPSHOW 3 .....JUST KIDDING!! LOL!!!

So that is my line up of anthology films. Let me know what you think.

Post subject: Re: ideas
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:00 am 

David2012 - Cool list would love to see more Amicus type movies at the Horror Marathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:41 am 

Great news. I pleased that Flesh for Frankenstein might be in 3D. I've have the original Criterion Collection disc. How about trying to get Slugs or the killer bear flick Grizzly?

It is nice to see movies haven't make it to the horror thon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:43 am 

Great news. I pleased that Flesh for Frankenstein might be in 3D. I've have the original Criterion Collection disc. How about trying to get Slugs or the killer bear flick Grizzly?

It is nice to see movies haven't make it to the horror thon.

Post subject: my wishlist
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:45 am 

Movies I'd love to see at this year's horror marathon or another horror marathon (because I know I put too many) are:

FRIGHT NIGHT (1985) (since the remake is coming out soon, enjoy the original, then see the remake and compare...or don't LOL)

A SERBIAN FILM

SOCIETY

THE CRAZIES (the original)

MOTHER'S DAY

THE REANIMATOR

NOSFERATU

BEYOND THE DOOR

THE STUFF

and this other one, I can not remember the name of. It came out in either the 1970's or 1980's. It's about these strange creatures that may be from outer space that attack this town, and this boy saves everyone by going up against them. If you know the name of this, please tell me. I can NOT remember it lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:55 pm 

A Serbian film? Why not Human Centipede II. I dunno if people want to watch a movie that feature child abuse. Then Martyrs did screened last year.