The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:23 pm 

Tom Cruise will fly as Maverick on the big screen once again when Paramount re-releases Tony Scott's 1986 adrenaline-filled thriller Top Gun to theaters in 3D. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Jerry Bruckheimer produced action flick will join Titanic and Star Wars: Episode I as catalog titles slated for a 2012 3D re-release.

Paramount has contracted San Diego-based Legend3D to handle the 2D to 3D conversion work for Top Gun. Rob Hummel, the company's CEO, introduced a four-minute clip of converted footage to attendees of the International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) in Amsterdam earlier today. Legend3D, which in the past has worked on Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon and Green Lantern, is also helping to fund the conversion process for Paramount.

According to THR, Hummel stated, "We think there is great potential for catalog titles in 3D, but studios have had trouble justifying the expense... As I understand it, they (Paramount) are planning to release it in 3D in early 2012, though I know they want to get Tony Scott's approval before they go forward."

Paramount is hoping that Tom Cruise, who is starring in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol for the studio in December, has not lost his box-office drawing power. Top Gun was box office smash in 1986 and has pulled in over $350 million worldwide in its lifetime.

Top Gun was recently treated to a repackaged Blu-ray, which hit stores last month to commemorate the film's 25th anniversary.