The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

So here it is: the long awaited schedule for this weekend's 3rd Annual Ohio 24-Hour Horror Marathon!

You'll notice that the second half of the lineup tends to have looser time frames than the first half. We tried to include these gaps in case we have to catch up later in the night (I know, I know....it would NEVER happen, right?). All times are approximate, etc. etc.

We debated whether to schedule Serbian Film around 9pm or 11pm, especially since Midnight Son is, by all accounts, deliberately paced. Ultimately, we went with the earlier slot in order to allow free reign of Grandview Ave. to those who choose not to view it.

NOON THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI
1:45 THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM
3:30 THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL
5:30 3rd Annual COSTUME CONTEST
5:45 BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
7:15 FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN
9:15 The Ohio Theatrical Premiere of
A SERBIAN FILM
11:15 3rd Annual SCREAM CONTEST
11:30 The Ohio Premiere of MIDNIGHT SON
1:30 GOKE: BODYSNATCHER FROM HELL
3:30 THE HITCHER
5:45 THE BEYOND
7:45 SLITHER
10:15 HELLRAISER

Last edited by Joe Neff on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:51 pm 

Interesting, I never thought of mashing together the two Frankensteins. I figured Andy Warhol's would be relegated to the back of the lineup because of it's graphic content. Ah who cares? This is a HORROR marathon after all. Bring it on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:37 am 

Looks good to me!! Man, I can't wait!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:26 am 

The schedule looks great. I can take a nap at nine and still be awake for Goke.

Falling behind schedule? That never happen :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:48 am 

Looks great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:13 pm 

Love the schedule! I'm gonna have to be pounding my energy drinks and coffee to get through The Beyond, then I can sleep through Slither. And feel rested for Hellraiser!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:46 pm 

Probably not the schedule I'd have been expecting, but one I can live with. At the end of the day, the event is about a whole lot more than when the films air, after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, there were a decent amount of complications with the schedule this year. We had Caligari, House of the Devil, Goke and Flesh booked for the last five months, so as other films were added, we were still beholden to those first four as well.

One of the big questions was about pacing, because a decent amount of the films are somewhat deliberate in their sense of action. Flesh for Frankenstein is a gory hoot in many ways, but it's also a bit slower than many of you might remember, so we were hesitant to stick it late at night. We also through it would be cool to follow last year's Psycho/Dressed to Kill double dip with a similar combo, hence Bride of Frankenstein's billing with Flesh.

I love House of the Devil, but it's also very deliberate in its pacing. My big fear in scheduling it for late at night was that any Nightmarathoids who haven't seen it might doze off or be too tired to appreciate its charms. So it landed in the mid-afternoon slot.

Aside from the aforementioned reasoning for placing Serbian Film at 9, there's also the fact that we've scheduled the most extreme features of the first two Shock Around the Clocks (Irreversible and Martyrs)around the 9-10pm hour. The producers of Midnight Son asked us to play it before midnight, so that also played a role in the scheduling. Originally, I had Midnight playing at 9 and Serbian at 11, but Bruce and I ended up agreeing that playing Serbian earlier would give anyone who wanted to abstain a better time frame in which to do so. In a similar fashion, we wanted to follow the two fairly serious/disturbing premieres with something lighter, hence Goke at 1am. For context's sake, know that I originally thought about Goke playing in the first two or three films, but the premiere situation complicated things a bit.

It's always a challenging process, especially with the rarity of some of these films; cutting them for pacing might mean not playing them again any time in the near future. For the record, I've always been a proponent of trying to construct a lineup that helps attendees stay awak in the wee hours. The execution of that philosophy is never easy, but I hope that the strangeness of Goke and relentless drive of Hitcher will help some of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:18 am 

Maybe I'm getting a little rusty in my old age but....Joe what movie is the still you have posted on this topic from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:29 am 

FiendwithoutaFacebook wrote:
Maybe I'm getting a little rusty in my old age but....Joe what movie is the still you have posted on this topic from?

That is from Lucio Fulci's surreal masterpiece "The Beyond". Which would be my highlight of the marathon if I were able to attend this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:31 am 

Thanks, I cannot wait. I hope my caffeine binging with help me stay awake for The Beyond I love Fulci!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:21 am 

Dammit. With all the movies announced and the schedule set, there's nothing left for me to demand and/or complain about. What the hell am I going to do between now and Saturday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:55 am 

Great line-up! I'm really sorry I can't be there for the fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:05 pm 

Right now I'm killing time by watching Human Centipede 2 via Time Warner Cable. It's somewhat mild compare to a certian film that is book at this year's horror marathon. Yes it might be the sickest monochrome horror film ever made.