The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:56 am 

So, last year I went to this event up at the Schostacker Auditorium on CWRU campus, saw Joe Neff there, and generally had a good time.

I've been monitoring their website for the past few weeks, and I see nothing other than a date for this coming year's marathon. Last year, the whole thing was posted in early December.

I want to go, and probably will regardless of the line-up, but it's hard to convince others to go without seeing a line-up. Does anyone here know any of the folks involved in organizing this event, and know when (or if?) a line-up will be available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:29 pm 

Ok, seriously. We're now less than three weeks until the event, and they have nothing on their page about this year's marathon. I can understand that the schedule can be in flux, but some update would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Per the CWRU Film Society page, the reason for the delay has been mainly due to their continuing addition of a digital projector to complement their 35mm/16mm setup. The just-posted lineup (showtimes TBA) is:

Cowboys and Aliens (2011)
The Rocketeer (1991)
Surprise!
The Mummy (1999)
Back to the Future (1985)
Slither (2006)
Surprise!
The Andromeda Strain (1971)
The Call of Cthulhu (2005)
Surprise!
X-Men First Class (2011)
9 (2009)
Surprise!
Jurassic Park (1993)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:53 am 

Wow. Mostly newer films, but that still looks like a fun line-up.

And you know, I get the delay. But their site hadn't been updated - at all - for ages. I've been checking daily. Even a "We're working on things, here's a few films" would've been nice.

Thanks Joe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Admin

They just posted the update concerning the projection situation late last week, although you had to click through to the SF Marathon page to see it.

And speaking of updates, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN has apparently been added to the slate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:39 pm 

Well the "surprise" movies would have to be AMAZING to make this line up worth the drive for me, Back to the Future and The Andromeda Strain are the only real classics in the line-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:19 pm 

They're the only "classics", but I think there are plenty of enjoyable films there. I'm always down to see "Bride" again. If they actually book "Slither", they'll be doing better than the past five Columbus marathons. And if you don't love "The Rocketeer", then I feel bad for the lack of heart you possess. Similarly, "The Mummy" is a good, dumb fun film.

Beyond that, the "Call of Cthulhu" silent film from 2005 is an absolutely amazing piece of cinema.

Overall, I've noticed that the CWRU events tend towards more modern films, and their audiences are kinder to them, so I'm fine with this line-up.

But hey, don't feel obligated to make the drive if you won't have fun with this line-up. That's the beauty of free will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:13 pm 

I would argue Jurassic Park is also a true classic and one long overdue for it's Columbus debut. Oh, and Joe I think you incorrectly used the word "complement" in regards to their digital setup. I think you meant to say "persecute."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Oh, and Joe I think you incorrectly used the word "complement" in regards to their digital setup. I think you meant to say "persecute."

Actually, I believe the correct word is "violate."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 pm 

In the past they have shown classic, almost unseen films. Not this year. My hope, as a 23 year attendee, is that the three surprise features will be interesting.
If you haven't been there, the theater is comfortable, concessions cheap, and the parking decent. If you have any questions browse their site.
http://films.cwru.edu/marathon.html

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Last edited by pogo on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:55 am 

Four Surprise slots, actually.

I'm a little surprised to hear that they have a history of showing older classics though, just because last year, the crowd there seemed to utterly mock the older films just for being old.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:00 pm 

You are correct about the general attitude to older films. A few years ago I almost lost it due to the hooting and unfunny scorn expressed toward Seconds, one of the best films made in the 60s. On a couple of occasions over the years I was so pissed that I got in people's faces to shut up.
But CWRU has shown the canon of Universal Creature Features, The Invisible Man, The Mummy & so on. They also used to show Flash Gordon & other serials between features.
Great esoteric stuff, The Navigator: An Odyssey Across Time (1988), La Jetee , Delicatessen & more have been there.
Most importantly for me, were the historic films that I have never seen elsewhere, practically never heard of, Just Imagine (1930), The (Transatlantic )Tunnel (1935), the Most Dangerous Game(1931) & a few others.
There is a huge amount of noise and a lot of crap directed at older films. That, plus difficulty in getting prints, is probably why they have shown less esoteric stuff lately. You can mostly tune out the noise & unthinking bias against more slowly paced classic stuff. Some feedback is actually funny. And because of the sheer length of the Fest, noise decreases as it progresses.
I haven't seen COWBOYS. Cthulu, or 9. Still, with the exception of Cthulu, the list looks pretty humdrum. Frustrating given CWRU's history. But it still seems worth it.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 pm 

I second Jurassic Park being a classic. I just watched the blu-ray box set and the first is a classic. The Lost World is alright but has some fantastic scenes. And the third one is in focus.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:45 pm 

They are back to three Surprises - but have replaced the fourth with Super 8.
If anyone does come up from Columbus or elsewhere say hi. I'm the guy with long gray hair who usually gets there early enough to get the space dead center on the stage.
Y'all come.
pogo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 pm 

For any interested, the actual films as screened in Cleveland were:
Cowboys and Aliens (2011)
The Rocketeer (1991)
Surprise 1! Rise of the Planet of the Apes(2011)
The Mummy (1999)
Back to the Future (1985)
Slither (2006)
Surprise 2 ! Flash Gordon(1980)
The Andromeda Strain (1971)
The Call of Cthulhu (2005)
Surprise 3! Invasion of the Body Snatchers. (1978)
X-Men First Class (2011)
9 (2009)
Super 8 (2011)
Jurassic Park (1993)

Notable were:
The screening of the four highest receipt SF films from 2011.
- The CWRU Film Society must have had a lot of money sitting around.
The extreme low level of the cartoons. - While admittedly classic, only 2 had what was even by a generous evaluation any Science Fiction content whatsoever.
The hugely annoying bossiest and loudest functionary it has ever been my unfortunate experience to experience in decades of film viewing. In addition to the patrons, she was ever ordering the Film Society workers around at the top of her lungs.
The numerous projection problems with frequent freezing and sound glitches. This was totally forgivable however due to the recent equipment changes and the good natured apologies. Luckily the Film Society did not have the above mentioned functionary make the apologies.
A number of interesting films. I could have done without Back to the Future and Jurassic Park, but that is due to their overfamiliarity. I also could have done without six of the films featuring huge violent confrontations and blasting soundtracks, but that was a feature of experiencing them all in one 30 hour period.
As far as the individual films, most would be very familiar to everyone here. I had forgotten how good the remake of Invasion was, both acting and cinematography. And I would suggest that if you haven't seen Cthulu or 9 you should pick up on any chance to do so.
Cheers from Cleveland.