The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:14 pm 

Yes, Joe, I officially give up trying to guess in your quirky little exercise. You threw us a softball with AMERICAN WEREWOLF, but I don't know how anyone could have guessed the others. Interested to hear your explanations.

AWIL and PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE are going to be awesome in 35mm in a theater with this audience, well done!
For any of you that haven't seen AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON in a while, let me just say: it's even better than you remember it, and long overdue.
I had never heard of POSSESSION for whatever reason, but when I IMDBed it and read a bit about it, I thought immediately "Yeah, that totally sounds like something Joe would schedule."

My attendance is not necessarily based on film titles, but I'm 90% sure I'll be there again this year. Great start and nice that you are able to build enthusiasm 5 months out.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Granted, I can be pretty oblique when it comes to these clues.

Most of you guessed Jenny Agutter's connection to American Werewolf.

I was tempted to just post a pic from Werewolves on Wheels to throw everyone off, but I figured that the biker connection would be enough of a hint.

The Phil Spector pic is in reference to Paul Williams's Spector-esque svengali/impressario Swan in Phantom of the Paradise. I guess you could also draw comparisons between Phil's manipulation of Ronnie Spector and the Ronettes and Swan's relationship to Jessica Harper's Phoenix.

And last, but certainly not least, Kramer vs. Kramer is one of the landmark divorce films, Jurrasic Park features Sam Neill, and Zulawski's Possession has both of those attributes in spades. I'll readily admit to never having seen Possession, but from everything I've read and heard it could be something special...or crazy...or both.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 am 

Have to make sure Possession is the uncut print. When it got originally released here to America it was pretty well butchered. The film prints,VHS and DVD releases all have different running times depending on what version you get. I was "lucky" enough to see it at the drive in back in the 80s when it came out and it is pretty much an artfest gorefilm. I also own the VHSs and DVD from Anchor Bay.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:59 am 

Infra-Kid wrote:
Have to make sure Possession is the uncut print. When it got originally released here to America it was pretty well butchered. The film prints,VHS and DVD releases all have different running times depending on what version you get. I was "lucky" enough to see it at the drive in back in the 80s when it came out and it is pretty much an artfest gorefilm. I also own the VHSs and DVD from Anchor Bay.

Don't worry, Joe would never let a censored print of anything run at one of his marathons...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Joe Neff wrote:
And last, but certainly not least, Kramer vs. Kramer is one of the landmark divorce films

Even I thought the Kramer vs. Kramer reference was a bit too obscure. Felt like a red herring, too. Just sayin'. ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Don't worry, Joe would never let a censored print of anything run at one of his marathons...

HA! Udo Kier would like a word with you...

That being said, Bleeding Light Film Group (who are handling the new POSSESSION print), have explicitly stated that this is an uncut print.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:52 pm 

I'm glad that Werewolves on Wheels finally makes it. Years of showing the trailers of the various incarnations of the horror marathon this one of the campy horror flicks I wanted to see in a long time.

I'm glad that Phantom of the Paradise makes it as well.

Good choice for Possession. It is not as rare as one think. I've an Anchor Bay DVD copy of said film. TCM did screen the film earlier in the year during friday overnight/early saturday morning block that start at 2am saturday morning and ends at 6am saturday morning.

Yes on American Werewolf in London. Hopefully it won't be a print of in Paris in a can label in London.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:32 pm 

Looking forward to Possession, that one sounds pretty interesting.

Thanks for all the early info!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:41 am 

WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS sounds a lot more fun that it actually is, but I'll have to say that once I was able to see it in its original aspect ratio on the Dark Sky DVD, it looked a lot better.

"Let's go kill us some monks!"

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:06 pm 

Hey we all know how we're gonna die baby. We're gonna crash and burn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:19 pm 

For anyone who may want a little preview, Possession is screening at the Wexner Center July 13-14.

http://www.wexarts.org/fv/index.php?eventid=6397

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:10 pm 

For people who haven't bought the Anchor Bay DVD or don't want to wait for the screening at the Wexner TCM is screeing the movie Friday overnight/early Saturday morning July 7. It starts at 2AM with a runtime of 2hr 15min.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:41 pm 

Thank you to everyone for letting me know where to avoid watching this movie before experiencing it for the first time at the marathon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:11 pm 

+1

I have no intention of spoiling a movie before experiencing it at the marathon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:10 pm 

+1

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Thank you to everyone for letting me know where to avoid watching this movie before experiencing it for the first time at the marathon.