The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:58 pm 

"...What are you doing, Dave?"

Stanley Kubrick’s "2001: A Space Odyssey" returns to the Wex for the third time in glorious 70mm! This epic fantasia took Arthur C. Clarke’s original sci-fi story—tracing human consciousness from its simian dawn to its first encounters with extraterrestrial intelligence—as the basis for a genuine visual tour de force unlike anything seen in movies before or since. Both slyly comic and truly chilling, it’s also notable for the way its nominal stars (Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood) are utterly upstaged by the selfless, ever-obliging, tragic computer/artificial intelligence HAL. Our previous 70mm screenings sold out in advance, so get your tickets early. (141 mins., 70mm)

Tickets: $8 general public, $6 Wex members, students, and senior citizens

Details on the FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/309282762577429/.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

I've spent the last two days running in circles dealing with this situation, so I'm in no mood to go into the gory details of what went wrong. Through no fault of our own, the Thursday, August 28 screening of the 70mm print of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY at the Wexner Center for the Arts had to be cancelled. All should be fine for Friday night's screening, and, the real reason for this post, is to announce that another screening has been added on Saturday at 7:00. With substantial advance sales for Thursday and Friday, it's extremely likely that the Friday show will sell out. Anyone hoping to attend that night would be wise to purchase advance tickets. Saturday will likely be much more relaxed. Either way, I wholeheartedly recommend experiencing this monumental work in 70mm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:25 pm 

Print availablility? Even in L.A., the last couple of 2001 showings have been in fuc@ing DCP!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:25 am 
Site Admin

I have to say, the print was a genuine treat. Other than an emulsion scratch on the reel after Intermission it was in extremely good shape, and the projection and sound were top notch (as usual.) Quite the treat, to be sure.

I strongly encourage everyone to keep an eye on the shows the Wexner runs, as they're one of the few houses left in the Midwest that can run 70mm and they run a lot of really, really good cinema.

http://wexarts.org/film-video

They've got a Zwigoff retrospective in October and they're running VAMPIRE'S KISS on the 31st.

Bookmark it and check frequently. Heck, get a membership and they'll send it to you in the mail! :)