The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:33 pm 

Pratchett was the modern era's prime fantasy writer. In various languages (mostly English) he sold more than 85 million books. He was the most popular author in Britain until he was bumped by J.K. Rowling.
His works, particularly the Discworld series and a book Good Omens that he co-authored with Neil Gaiman, were gems of humor, social commentary, and satire. If you have ANY love of humor and good writing pick one up.
My offer, made elsewhere, to send you copies of books by authors whom you like or have heard of free of charge does not apply to Pratchett. My son has stolen all 30 of the books by Pratchett that I used to own.
There are three live action, low key British humor movies of his books. Also about three animated films. I love them all, but they are perhaps a little low key for marathons.
If you can pick up any of his books, particularly from 10-20 years ago, before he suffered from the decline that eventually killed him, PLEASE do so. Google Neil Gaiman's comments and joint interviews w. Pratchett. They are outstanding. Here's the Wikipedia on him. Please read it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett
Here's another profile: http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/writers-world-of-comic-fantasy-sold-more-than-85-million-books-20150322-1m55b8.html

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:48 pm 

That's a bummer.

Good Omens is an absolutely amazing book! I read it because I'm a Neil Gaiman fan... it's the only Terry Pratchett I've ever read. The stuff in it that is a departure from Gaiman's usual style, I assume is the stuff that was Pratchett's contribution... and I loved it! It made me want to read more of his work, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Are there any books in particular which you would recommend, Pogo - which are your favorites?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:43 pm 

Scott,
I have happily read all of them. The books tend to have separate casts & characters, although the overlap heavily.
Of the several, I have a slight preference for thos that star the Night watch, such as Guards, Guards or Men At Arms or just about any other.
Several others are tied. DEATH! (you know,a seven-foot-tall skeleton in a black robe who sits astride a pale horse? (called Binky) is a character in all but one of the books, stars in about three of them. Soul Music, Thief of Time
Witches who live out in the boondocks & have some less than positive meetings with various vampires, elves & other nasties take the lead in several. Carpe Jugulum, Maskerade
Wizards of the powerful but bumbling type star in many.
Shit, read any.
For my taste , almost anything after the first half dozen & before the last half dozen are exceptional. That dozen are worth re-reading but not quiet as good as his prime works. Go to the Discworld Wikipedia entry to get a list.
Thanks for asking.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:37 am 

Thanks for the info, Pogo! I'll definitely follow up on some Pratchett - your post reminded me that I need to read some of his stuff. It's been awhile since I read Good Omens, and I had kind of forgotten... every time I'm looking for a good book, I forget to look for Pratchett - now he's moved back to the top of my priority reading list :)