The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Board is DEAD!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:57 pm 

What happened? Last week people were excited and posting regularly but now nothing - zippo - nada - dead space! Is there nothing more to add? Now that we know the movies that will show, is all excitement gone? I know that this often happens shortly after the marathon but never seen it this bad before!

Post subject: Re: The Board is DEAD!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:25 pm 

To be honest, I could not be more excited for the marathon. My obsession over this event consumes me this time of the year, especially when I am actually able to attend. However, i must say that knowing a full lineup a month away from launch is both a blessing and a curse. It's exciting knowing the people who run things and the theater are on the same page, which had not been the case a few short years ago. But this can also lead to over excitement.

My greatest marathon memories are pure moviegoing experiences untainted by advance knowledge or hype. I find myself trying to temper my excitement in order to preserve a sense of wonder and discovery, which is of course extremely difficult to pull off. Unfortunately, this leads to avoiding posting or even lurking here too often. I'm not watching any trailers of the films in the lineup and I am attempting to not read anything further about the movies I am not as familiar with. For example, all I know about High Rise is that Joe thinks it is "gonzo," it has lots of actors whose names I recognize (unusual for a Marathin premiere), and it is directed by a guy whose last movie played at a marathon and I quite enjoyed it.

I appreciate the fact that this board exists and I love reading what fellow marathoids have to say (now that the chaff seems to have been weeded out). This forum as long as it exists will always be comforting like a warm blanket, but sometimes it gets too hot and the blanket needs to be folded and on a shelf for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

The board is dead ... LONG LIVE THE BOARD!!!

Sorry, thought you were going another way with that one. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:28 pm 

We've been over this terrain before. Most boards on the internets are "dead" now by past standards. The Boston Board (http://www.sf.theboard.net is no exception. :(

Facebook, Twitter et al. have simply stolen the thunder.

The odd odd phenomena is that the earlier (and more complete) one announces the booked films on the schedule, the LESS people come to them. You don't get the anticipation factor, nor are there folks chiming in with their suggestions. Oh, well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:00 pm 

I watched Tremors recently and would love to see that make an appearance again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

It's true that message boards in general have seen a decline in this social media age. On a practical level, we've seen a good amount of traffic migrate to Facebook, which, by our numbers, is now one of our main sources for propaganda...er, I mean information dissemination. It's fun in its own way (especially on a graphical level), but it also usually doesn't spawn many lengthy or in-depth conversations and debates. Unfortunately, the culture seems to be moving that way, as many people dig firing off heated missives in the moment without stepping back and thinking about conversation threads.

And we still have a fairly healthy number of technically active members on this board. Sure, the announcement of the lineups so early in the process can tamp down some discussion. But there's plenty other things to mull over as well.

Without stepping on any toes, I HAVE noticed that a few too many times some of us on this forum tend to get a little....um...testy? thin-skinned? when discussing or debating a topic. Now I'm not saying that said testiness necessarily drives people away from engaging in conversations or debates. And we've had a long history of good-natured chop busting here that can be quite fun. But the rapid escalation of arguments that can spring up here doesn't always provide for an environment that says "hey, come join in the fun" to outsiders. Or long-term members. Granted, some former and inactive members of the board have tended to use it to broadcast their manifestos, followed by extended bouts of ear-plugging instead of engaging in discussion. But they're not around as much or have been banned because they were more trouble than they were worth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:31 am 

I can attest to the testiness. I myself have been kicked off the board twice for shall we say over exuberance in my comments.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:43 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
The odd odd phenomena is that the earlier (and more complete) one announces the booked films on the schedule, the LESS people come to them. You don't get the anticipation factor, nor are there folks chiming in with their suggestions.

... nor posting, "When are you going to announce a line-up, dammit?!"

By the way... When are you going to announce the schedule, dammit?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:18 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Now I'm not saying that said testiness necessarily drives people away from engaging in conversations or debates, and we've had a long history of good-natured chop busting here that can be quite fun, but the rapid escalation of arguments that can spring up here doesn't always provide for an environment that says "hey, come join in the fun" to outsiders.

(points to new user on the boards)
"NEWBIE, EVERYONE!! NEWBIE!! GET THE HELL IN HERE AND JOIN THE ARGUMENT!
(smashes chair over new user's head)
:twisted: