The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:40 pm 

I thought I was finished being thwarted by jocks. We arrived in Columbus in plenty of time to catch the trailer-thon, but to my surprise every artery in Columbus was blocked by a marathon run, and it took us over an hour to go ten blocks. I’m sure it was for a great cause and everything but it PISSED me off. But once we finally walked through the door it made the marathon experience sweeter. We did make it for about 15 mins of trailers and Bruce’s greeting.

OK… Here’s my take on the features:

12 Monkeys – Although I wasn’t sure how this would be received to kick off the ‘thon. It was good to have a modern classic up front rather than doing an immediate dive into cheese. Plus, if the runners had made me really late, I own this one, and can see it anytime I want.

King Dinosaur – This is when the marathon kicked in for me. These are the kind of films that benefit from a room full of snickering, snarking rabid sci fi fans. I think there was more stock footage than original footage. “Where’s Joe?” I’ll tell you where he is…He’s in the animal hospital, recovering from having his tail being ripped out by the roots.

The Great Yokai War – I generally consider this sort of film “fantasy” rather than sci fi. It was a visual feast, but I wasn’t into it that much. More of a kid’s film, but it did include some dewy thigh licking, which was cool. The turtle guy was almost as annoying as Jar-Jar binks.

Puzzlehead – I liked the feel of this one, but it was a bit slow at times. Didn’t need to be that long…wasn’t hard to predict the outcome. I dunno, dawg…it was just “OK” for me.

Frankenstein Meets the Spacemonster – I usually like to pick one film to buy on DVD as a memento of that year’s ‘thon. And this one is my pick for 2007. The clapping during the unnecessarily long scooter sequences was priceless. I’m still clapping. Thank you for giving me the clap. The guy who played Dr. Nadir is the BEST ACTOR EVER! Totally unaware of the camera. And such flawless special effects makeup! The guy could be the lovechild of John Lovitz and Eddie Izzard. Seriously…the perfect ‘thon film and I want to see it again in the FUUUTTTUUURE!

Fido – I loved it! 2 snaps up! I think this was a premiere that has the potential to become really successful. I felt privileged to be there. It had a really sympathetic main character…I could really identify with this kid. Being set in the 50’s during an innocent time, the all out splatter was more jarring. I will recommend this one, and I look forward to seeing how it does. Billy Connoly was almost unrecognizeable without his trademark hair and beard.

Automatons – I wish I would have known how unredeemingly awful this was so we could have left and had marital relations in the car. TORTUROUS. 2 Hours of my life gone. Bruce, I will remember you on my deathbed when I am wishing I had 2 more hours to live.

Chopping Mall – Not a big fan of the 80’s teen cautionary tale stuff. Lesson: don’t have sex in a mall after hours or you will die. The really obnoxious guy deserved it, though. Exploding head was unexpected and awesome.

Night of the Comet – In this film, people were spared the fate of being obliterated by staying inside steel encased structures and HAVING sex. I get it. If only the mall were made entirely of steel.

Mindwarp ("Galaxy of Terror") – Not bad. I was getting REALLY delirious by this time…I think the biggest laugh of the marathon (for me) was when the guy puked and every time afterward that he appeared onscreen, someone made the puke sound. THANKS! I was laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe. I still laugh everytime I think about it.

Slither – Didn’t see it. What? You didn’t either?

Star Trek: The Motion Picture – I was in a coma, and for good reason.

Flash Gordon - AWESOME to see it on the big screen again. This came out in 1980 when I was in Jr. High. (That’s “middle school” for you younger folks…)… I own it on DVD, but it has MUCH more impact in a theatre, especially with all of you….as tired as we were after 24 hrs, it seemed like all of us were really into this one. It was an excellent wrap film for the ‘thon. Bruce, I forgive you for Automatons.

I’m new to the forum, but I posted “I can’t wait to walk among you” last week. The marathon was a great time, and it was indeed great to be with you guys again. Hello to Graham, a newcomer to the marathon who sat beside us…it was great getting to know you.

After 15 hours of sleep, I’m looking forward to next year! I’ll be around, and I look forward to keeping in touch with all of you through the forum!

Ryan
(Sanctuary)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:27 pm 

We had the same problem with the "marathon " runners downtown. The friendly cops said go back and turn right on Neil. When we got to Neil, the right turn was blocked by another cop who said, "I can't imagine why they told you that." We got to the real marathon about 12:05.

We had a great time. I liked the theater, concessions, OSU dance troop, T shirts, etc. We stayed till the end of Star Trek, the longest we've stayed. Next year, we'll make it to Noon.

My favorites were in order: Chopping Mall, Night of the Comet, Fido, 12 Monkeys, Star Trek. I also really liked the new spaceboy, Flash Gordon serial and the Zombie interview.

The worst movie was, of course, Automatons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:26 pm 

First of all, I’d like to say that I made it!!!! I keep nodding off during the last half of the marathon (not including Flash Gordon), but I never actually fell “asleep”. Even though I got stuck in the second row from the screen, I actually got use to that view and started liking it. Hate to sound like a broken record, but the breaks, trailers and shorts were very well done. Let’s get started.

12 Monkeys - Always great to start with a modern picture that everybody knows and can enjoy. Nothing screams Sci-Fi like time travel. Is it just me, or did Brad Pitt’s character really make is movie?

King Dinosaur – Following up with some classic Sci-Fi, very smart move. That’s what I love about these marathons, the variety of Sci-Fi that you get to enjoy. This particular film was classic. JOE!!!!

The Great Yokai War – They say that this film was Japan’s answer to Lord of the Rings, but for some reason it kept reminding me of Labyrinth with Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie. I don’t know why, it just did. Entertaining movie, the kid was funny.

Puzzlehead – This movie was ok. Really slow in the beginning, but the end made up for it. I don’t know if I’d ever watch it again, but I wouldn’t consider the experience a loss.

Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster – Hilarious!! I don’t know what else to say except for HILARIOUS!!!

Fido – This was my favorite movie of the marathon. Funny, my favorite movie of the horror marathon was their Ohio premeire as well. I can’t say enough about this movie. I can’t wait to see it again. I can’t wait till it comes out on DVD!

Automatons – This piece of crap was my undoing. I wasn’t even tired until this snoozefest started playing. I started nodding off towards the end, and continued nodding off during the next 4 movies. It was almost literally painful to sit through is “masterpiece.” Hope I never see it again.

The Kelli Maroney Double Feature – Chopping Mall & Night of the Comet – I absolutely love the 80’s. My fondest memories are from that decade. Therefore, it goes without saying that I loved these movies. I had seen Night of the Comet several times, and only caught Chopping Mall on HBO once many, many years ago. These movies were lots of fun.

Galaxy of Terror – Roger freaking Corman. He never a really good movie, but they are always fun and always entertaining.

Slither – I actually never got to see this movie. I was really looking forward to finally getting to see it. Oh, well.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture – I’m actually a huge Star Trek fan. It’s okay, go ahead and laugh. Even though this is my least favorite Star Trek film, it was nice to see it again. And I really enjoyed the Star Trek trailer countdown!

Flash Gordon – By this time I was wide-awake again. This was the perfect way to end the marathon. Loud, fast, funny, bright colors … it’s all so great. I saw this back in 1980 and loved it then, but when I got older, it became very hard to find. It was nice to finally get to see it again.

I think the marathon was a complete success! It was a lot of fun, and I’m already looking forward to next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:15 pm 

When I was at Ohio State, I wrote a few preview articles about the marathon, but never actually went, so when I saw the flyer a few weeks ago, I thought I'd actually give it a shot this year. Thanks Bruce and Jeff for such a good time. I'll definitely be back next year.

And no matter how much trouble anyone had with the marathon, I think I'm going to win. In order to just get out of my building Saturday morning, I have to cross Spring St (literally have to) and when I pulled out of my parking garage, I had to sit for about 20 minutes while cars were ushered through the race route when there was a lull in the runners. And yes, that's 20 minutes for four cars. It was definitely rough, but at least I had 24 hours of movies to make me feel better.

With that said, let's get into the films themselves:

Twelve Monkeys: A definite crowd pleaser. I've always liked this movie, so I was happy to watch it again. I also like that it was first because I don't think I would have been able to stay awake for it if it came later in the marathon. Always a good choice though.

King Dinosaur: Movies that this are half the reason I wanted to come. I never would have seen this otherwise and it was definitely a hilarious time. The iguana vs. alligator was great, and Joe was definitely a highlight.

The Great Yokai War: This was definitely a stretch at sci-fi, but thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for including it. I love Takashi Miike (if you dig horror, please go watch "Audition" right now) and seeing Chiaki Kuriyama (Go-Go from Kill Bill) again was awesome. This is the movie that guaranteed that I was coming this year. I definitely think there was WAY too much snarking during this movie, though. I'm fine with the comments during the older movies that a lot of people have seen before, but with these premieres, I really wanted to see them and could have done without the distractions. Great movie though.

Puzzlehead: A little slow, but still gets a thumbs up. I dug it.

Frankenstein Meets the Spacemonster: Another one of those movies that made me want to come. I'm shocked that you can even find this on DVD, it's so laughably bad, but Dr. Nadir definitely made it worth watching.

Fido: Does it even need to be said how great this movie was? I actually had film school friends in New York tell me that they were thinking about coming in for the marathon just to see this movie. It was hilarious and fantastic and I loved every second of it. Even though my favorite was actually Yokai, I definitely think this was the best movie of the marathon. I'll be forcing many people to go see this when its finally released.

Automatons: Yes, it was the low point, but I didn't think it was so bad. I'm also a film guy, so I think I was more interested in that aspect of it. Still, I'm pretty sure this one won't be making any appearances in my collection any time soon.

Chopping Mall and Night of the Comet: I had never seen either of these before and now I want to see them again. Cheesy in all the right ways, they were the perfect movies to fill that slot when everyone's starting to fade.

Mindwarp: So many familiar faces, so few interesting moments. While I think the weird giant maggot moment was definitely memorable, I'm still not sure about this one. I definitely found myself losing interest. Maybe I was just tired though.

Slither: Since everyone else was commenting about it, I have to too, right? I will watch anything with Nathan Fillion and Elizabeth Banks in it, so I was sad to see it go. I definitely think it would have been great to see something new early in the morning. Eh, I would have liked to see it, but I'm not upset that it's gone.

Star Trek: I'm in no way a Trekkie (or Trekker or whatever you prefer), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I got a little sleep in during this one. It would have been nice to actually see, but based on the warning about the dismal state of the print, I don't feel that bad.

Flash Gordon: I'm just happy I actually managed to get my second wind before this one came on. With all the audience participation, this was the perfect way to end the marathon. I definitely enjoyed it.

So that's it. I had a great time at the marathon. I was glad that a movie got dumped because the timing of everything seemed to go really well. The breaks were a nice length. I always got back in time to see the shorts and trailers and everything else. Thanks to everyone that made it such a great time. I'll be back.

And oh yeah, go check out my new film blog, GarageSaleCineaste

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:53 pm 

Well I haven't posted since following up to last year's marathon! What a slug. Anyway, I had a great time at this year's marathon and so did my buddy that always attends with me. I liked getting in a little early and getting situated before the countdown. It was fun to see the large block of trailers.

In addition to the premiers, King Dinosaur and Mindwarp were new to me so it was cool to see them. When I first saw the lineup posted I panic'd because I immediately thought of the Mindwarp movie with Bruce Campbell... that one I definately don't like.

I agree with most of the comments about the premiers this year. I like seeing something I've never seen before (but Automatons did push that to the limit). I really enjoyed Fido; I'd like to see it again. At dinner Sunday night I was trying to describe it to my wife and kids. They were skeptical but I was raving.

Puzzlehead was different than I expected, slower paced. I was pleasantly surprised the audience was respectful of it during the screening. It reminded me of a short story I read as a kid wherein a man makes a robot in his own image and both he and the robot become interested in the same woman. In the story, the robot ended up with the woman by making a female robot in the woman's image and leaving it with the man (unbeknownst to him).

Sunday night I decided I wasn't quite far enough out of my mind and wasn't quite enough sleep deprived so I went to the Drexel Grandview for the late showing of David Lynch's 'Inland Empire'. It got finished about 1:30 am. I got a few hours sleep and got right in the mood to go back to work this morning!

Well like I said earlier, I had a great time. Thank you to all the people who worked so hard to bring us the marathon. I will be looking forward to next year. I've decided to gather all my ticket stubs, programs, etc. and put them together. That should be fun. Whenever I find one around the house I end up looking through it and finding some good memories.

Take care all. (Joe, I'm the guy you ran into at the grocery store)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:11 pm 

I hadn't posted much in the last year since I had to miss the 06 thon. It is great to be back.

Some thoughts from this year:

12 Monkeys. Well I had requested this for about 5 years, so obviously I was happy to see this. It still holds up really well.

King Dinosaur. I had seen it before on MST3K. It was almost as funny this time.

The Great Yokai War. A little disappointed in this one. I enjoyed the second half, but it took too long to get going. I think the earlier comparison to Labyrinth is a good one. (NOTE TO BRUCE: If you can find a print of Labyrinth, that would be great.)

Puzzlehead. Some interesting ideas, but a little slow. I liked it, but cannot say I loved it.

Frankenstein vs. Dr. Evil. This, I loved. However, if that's the only print, I wouldn't rebook as the focus problems were a bit harsh.

Fido. Obviously, a big hit with the crowd. I thought it was merely OK. I agree with my friend who said, "Joe Dante would have hit this out of the park."

Automatons. For weeks I will have nightmares about salt shakers taking over the world. Very, very slow moving salt shakers. What was the running time on this one, 450 minutes?

Chopping Mall. Goofy, but with enough in-jokes to keep me entertained. Not a great film, but made by people who knew that. (Favorite in-joke: the sporting goods store where they got weapons was called Peckinpah's.)

Night of the Comet. A guy behind me called this one of his favorite B-movies of the 80s. I agree. Fun film.

Mindwarp: Some interesting ideas, and some well done elements, but until the ending, too many cliches.

Star Trek: When the movie took five minutes too show Scotty and Kirk fly out to The Enterprise, I knew I was in trouble. ZZZ...

Flash Gordon: I thought the film tried a little hard to be campy. I'm much more fond of the unintentionally campy. Fun, but a little disappointing at the same time.

Looking back, I'm glad Slither didn't show. One of my favorite things is the trailers and shorts, and I thought the distribution of them was about right. With Slither, there would not have been enough.

Finally, Chopping Mall has no chopping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:20 pm 

12 Monkeys. Great movie and a great opener to the marathon. All Bruce Willis sees is Dead people. Indeed.

King Dinosaur. Good times. What the hell was Joe, anyway?

The Great Yokai War. I loved this one. Maybe not strickly sci-fi, but I don't know where else I would have seen it. Too bad Azuki Beans didn't make it into the Hall of Fame. I can see needing someone to explain their presence at every marathon to come.

Puzzlehead. This was a good film, and, as someone else mentioned, I was glad/impressed at how well-behaved everyone was during this movie. A lot of chatter could have ruined it, but didn't.

Frankenstein vs. the Spacemonster. It was a tough choice, but we decided to ignore Bruce's warning and slip out for a bite to eat during this one. It was either that or miss a premier. And in the end, I think it was a good choice. We caught the end, and the film slipping into and out of focus made it barely bearable. I'm glad I didn't try to sit through the whole film. I wouldn't mind at all if this film resurfaced at a future 'thon, but only if a better print was found.

Fido. Hilarious. Probably my favourite of the year (along with Zombie-American).

Automatons. I won't be seeing this one again, but, in spite of that, and in spite of the fact that missed a good chunk of this one by getting up and walking around, I won't harass Bruce for putting it in. The film wasn't without it's good qualities. It's just that you tended to forget them after the 20th time you heard the same propaganda from the old man or saw the same little dots move (slowly) across the radar screen. But really, they can't all be Fido or Puzzlehead. And audience reaction was very entertaining.

Chopping Mall. I had just seen this a few months ago at a local theater, so I used this as napping time. Still, I remember it as being good, cheesy, and light. Perfect late night marathon fare.

Night of the Comet. The problem is that once I've started dozing during the movies, it's hard to stop. I enjoyed this one, but I do believe I missed some parts as well.

Mindwarp. Same with Mindwarp. In the wee hours, I could focus. Seems like there's always one film in the wee hours that requires more brain power than I can muster to follow. Brazil comes to mind, and the Repo Man, and now, Mindwarp.

Star Trek. Miraculously, due to naps taken during the previous three films, I stayed awake for this one. It is slow and with all the unnecessarily long camera shots I remembered, but the story remains good.

Flash Gordon. He'll save every one of us. This was a fantastic movie to go out on.

All in all, a great 'thon, lots of great features. The classic shorts were welcome and the new shorts were a treat as well. Spaceboy Jr. was worth a look, but I don't think he'll be replacing the "real" Spaceboy anytime soon.

The very amusing comments from the audience are always one of the great joys of the marathon, but I do think that some people could tone it down a bit. If only 1 comment in 5 is getting a laugh, then maybe 4 out of 5 comments could be kept to yourself. Also, if you seem to have more lines that people on screen, you may be over doing it. Unfortunately a zero-tolerance policy for talking would weed out some real gems, so I guess you just have to learn to tune some people out.

This year was definitely another winner of a marathon, and I think Bruce and Company for pulling it together yet again. And I was glad the proposed date won out, as my wife was able to attend her 2nd 'thon in 4 years by crossing her fingers and requesting that weekend off, and I have more friends who would definitely love to attend if they had a solid date well enough in advance, so here's hoping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:32 pm 

Great job all around. No need to repeat other people's praise.

12 Monkeys- great, great movie. Good first choice. I originally thought it should play last but now I realize that this was the perfect slot for such a thoughtful movie.

King Dinosaur - campy fun, but did anyone else notice the look of pain on the lead actress's face when she was shoved into the rocks?

The Great Yokai War - great, flashback inducing madness from Miike. Don't really get some of the Japanese folklore but a colorful treat. Can't imagine seeing an American kids movie that weird and violent (weird or violent sure).

Puzzlehead - I missed the first 30 minutes due to my 20 minute pizza taking 45 minutes, but I was able to catch up right away. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Kind of obvious ending but I should really see the whole movie.

Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster - one of the more fun old cheese movies. Jon Lovitz was great!

Fido - Great premiere, but I'm not sure how I'd like it outside the marathon setting (though I'm sure I'll buy the DVD). Plays great with a big crowd, but maybe it will be flat with a smaller audience. Movies like it tend to get lost in the marketing but I hope it at least gets an art house release if nothing else.

Automatons - Great audience uniter. The hatred for this movie really woke the theater up I think. I had friends that were planning to leave around 2 am but stayed until the end of Chopping Mall because they were so wide awake.

Chopping Mall - fun 80s slasher movie with Robots. Not great but fun.

Night of the Comet - I love this ridiculously silly movie. Maybe it's the Cindy Lauper song. I just have found memories of this from childhood.

Galaxy of Terror - I'm really disappointed that I fell asleep during this one especially because it's so rare. It was just so slow at first. I loved the puking sounds the audience made every time we saw the one character. I did manage to wake up for some of the gore scenes including the worm rape scene (though I missed it's build up). Hopefully I'll find a DVD one day.

Slither- is an awesome movie and should definitely play in the future. I don't understand why some on this board liked this marathon so much but don't like this movie. It's a love letter to 80s horror and sci-fi.

Star Trek- bores me to tears. I made an honest effort but decided to sleep through most of it. A lot of what I saw was just fetishistic shots of the Enterprise that kept going and going. If this and Galaxy of Terror were flipped I probably would have stayed awake as I usually get my second wind at 8am.

Flash Gordon - great fun. I loved it. Gotta get the DVD now. Great closer. I must say I think I'm in love with Ming's daughter.

Movies for next year: Slither, Rollerball (I don't think the love ever died I just think most of us thought a good print wasn't available), Soylent Green, and Robocop. All movies we were supposed to get recently but fell through except Robocop which just played Boston, so there's a print available. If those 4 movies played I wouldn't care what else was there (unless it's Automatons 2).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:52 pm 

Had a great time again this year. The Gateway is a solid venue, and I don't really have any solid complaints there - the largest one being the trek to the car for anything needed is just a bit further than perfection would desire. But still - very happy to be there.

Though I would've liked to see it, I'm glad that SLITHER wasn't shown, just because we had a very full lineup even without it. Perhaps something else could've been cut instead (*cough*Automatons*cough*), but this made the overall Marathon time just about perfect. An extra feature would've run WAY too long, or resulted in shorts/trailers getting cut more. I was OK with the number of shorts - would've liked one or two more Flash Gordon serials (perhaps instead of one or BOTH Spaceboys). Would've liked to see a few more trailers.

I WOEFULLY miss the days of a costume contest that at least some people took seriously. I guess too many gag/one-liner costumes beat out stuff people had put a lot of time and effort into, but it seems like the options get more and more inane every year... I was happy with the Ringwraith guy winning this year because at least he'd put SOME effort into it.

Movie thoughts:

12 MONKEYS - A good movie. Slow, but entertaining. Cerebral without being completely over-the-top mindwarping like some other Gilliam movies (*cough*Brazil*cough*)

KING DINOSAUR - Forced perspective giant lizard/crocodile goodness. Nice cheesy classic sci-fi B movie. That they tried to comment on nuclear weapons at the end was quite funny. Stock footage ahoy.

THE GREAT YOKAI WAR - Interesting... I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth, so can't comment on that angle. This was one of those "Man, the Japanese are into some WACKY stuff" kinds of movies. Fun to watch.

PUZZLEHEAD - Acting was a little stiff, but I have a feeling that was intentional, to play-up the antisocial nature of the characters, and the disconnect between the android and the maker. Enjoyable.

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACEMONSTER - An interesting twist, in that Frankenstein wasn't the classic green neck-sparkplug monster, but instead an android made to man a long-term space mission. Another classic sci-fi B movie, filled with lots of cheese.

FIDO - Very well done. A great send-up of 50s Donna Reed Americana, mixed with some Cold War fun and zombies! Strongly recommended. Billy Connoly was quite entertaining for not having any lines other than growls and grunts.

AUTOMATONS - SWEET MERCIFUL JEBUS MAKE THE PAIN STOP. NEVER, EVER WATCH THIS MOVIE IF YOU VALUE YOUR SANITY.

CHOPPING MALL - Robot security guards go crazy and kill the sexed-up mall teens. VERY 80s. Loved it.

NIGHT OF THE COMET - Slower, but I still enjoyed it. There are other movies in a similar vein which are better (Omega Man), but this is another 80s film. Needed more zombies and a bit more action.

MINDWARP: AN INFINITY OF TERROR - This was just bizarre. Lots of gruesome deaths, some whacked-out gory monsters... Fun.

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE - Better than I remembered, but still WAY too long and subpar. I'm not a huge Trek fan anyway, and this one could've easily been fit into a 1 hr episode of the show, if not trimmed to 30 minutes even! The solid 1/2 hr spent panning around the outside of the refitted Enterprise at the beginning will put anyone to sleep.

FLASH GORDON - I love Flash Gordon, and this went over VERY well with the crowd, a good high-energy movie to get everyone charged up as the send-off. The serials were good (the older movie serial better than the TV ep), but this is where it's at for me. A great ender to the Marathon, and got the crowd up and going in no time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:54 am 

Thanks for all the nice comments re: my film CHOPPING MALL. I'm glad most there seemed to enjoy it. I just wish I had the time to make it out there and enjoy the marathon with you. Good luck until next year. May I suggest you possibly check out THE LOST EMPIRE, DEATHSTALKER 2, RETURN OF SWAMP THING or NOT OF THIS EARTH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:38 am 

shroud wrote:
The solid 1/2 hr spent panning around the outside of the refitted Enterprise at the beginning will put anyone to sleep.

You aren't the only one to mention this, but I finally decided to come to Wise's defense a bit. A good chunk of the audience the film originally played for was folks who had only seen and loved the TV series and had been longing for another adventure with the crew of the Enterprise. They had only ever seen the less than stellar models of the Enterprise from the show and here was a chance with a big budget to show the fans the ship in glorious detail. I'm sure the fanboy's at the time loved it. I know as a 9 year old kid I thought it was great.

Yes, it doesn't translate well to modern audience, and yes they use the technique too many times with V'GER, though done in an attempt to convey the sheer size of it. Clearly they were influneced by 2001, but 2001 was a different kind of film and a pioneer in that kind of shot, so it is a bit more excused, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:37 am 

I had not seen this movie since it was new. With nearly 30 years of bad reviews lowering my expectations, I found I really enjoyed it. I had a lot more trouble staying awake during Automatons and Mindwarp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:02 pm 

Terry wrote:
I had not seen this movie since it was new. With nearly 30 years of bad reviews lowering my expectations, I found I really enjoyed it. I had a lot more trouble staying awake during Automatons and Mindwarp.

How could you NOT stay awake for Automotons? The positively RIVETING scenes with the RADAR Screen kept me awake until LAST NIGHT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:44 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:

Movies for next year: Slither, Rollerball (I don't think the love ever died I just think most of us thought a good print wasn't available), Soylent Green, and Robocop. All movies we were supposed to get recently but fell through except Robocop which just played Boston, so there's a print available. If those 4 movies played I wouldn't care what else was there (unless it's Automatons 2).

Keeping the 80's theme alive Robocop should show along with Night of the creeps and if Slither shows it's a great tie in with Night of the creeps as well. Rollerball is always a crowd favorite, Soylent Green and Logans Run would also be great. I think a good (or atleast fun) 3-D movie would play well especially if The Gateway could get a sterovision 3-D movie to work so we didn't have to use the old red/blue glasses.

If anyone is ever brave enough to make Automatons 2 I say we show it because we would know that we didn't even have to give it a chance and we could snark from begining to end instead of waiting 1/2 way through it. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:21 pm 

Dennis wrote:
Yes, it doesn't translate well to modern audience, and yes they use the technique too many times with V'GER, though done in an attempt to convey the sheer size of it. Clearly they were influneced by 2001, but 2001 was a different kind of film and a pioneer in that kind of shot, so it is a bit more excused, I think.

I suppose was great for hardcore fans to get a better look at all the fancy ship-parts, but even trying to put it into perspective of the time, I've got to think this is taking fanservice just a bit too far.