The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:09 pm 

Just released today only at Best Buy, Universal has released a DVD set of five of its classic 1950's sci-fi films. The set is priced at $19.99 and features 'Tarantula', 'The Mole People', 'The Incredible Shrinking Man', 'The Monolith Monsters', and 'Monster on Campus'. Breaking from their past habit of doing very glitchy double-sided sets, this set (and the Boris Karloff Collection, also just released) feature three discs with only 1-2 movies on each disc and only on one side of the disc. Extras appear limited to just theatrical trailers, but, hey, at $4 a movie, who's complaining?

Also now available is a DVD featuring both The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms and THEM on one DVD for only 10 bucks also at Best Buy.

Meanwhile from Classic Media, the same company that just released the original Gojira on DVD come several more of the classic Showa era Godzilla films. Both Godzilla Raids Again(Gigantis the fire monster) and Mothra vs Godzilla(Godzilla vs the thing)will get deluxe DVD editions released on November 7th. Just like Gojira the DVDs will feature the Japanese and American versions of the films and have similar packaging with the band around the bottom of the case. After the first of the year also expect likewise releases spread out over several months of Ghidrah the three headed monster, Godzilla vs Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge and Terror of Mechagodzilla.

You can currently preprder Godzilla Raids Again and Mothra vs Godzilla on Amazon.com.

More info about these can be found in the archives of Sci-Fi Japan.com.
http://www.scifijapan.com/

And just to round this little report out nicely...

As most of us who attended this year's marathon know, this year marks the 50th anniversary of the MGM 1956 science fiction classic Forbidden Planet. And though a DVD already exists, a remastered 2 disc edition loaded with extras is on the way. A special box set with memorabilia(like a collectible tin and a Robby the Robot replica) will be released but the special edition by itself will also be available at a lower price.

This film has got to be one of my favorites from the 50s. This wondrous tale based loosely off of William Shakespeare's The Tempest almost didn't get made way back when. The idea was shopped around by writers, Allan Adler and Irving Block to several smaller studios that were known for doing sci-fi films but nobody wanted any part of it. Having gone to just about everyone and out of options they went for the jugular and did the unthinkable by approaching the studio that at time was at the top of the heap, MGM. Which at the time was pumping out classic musicals and riveting dramas and had never up till that point done anything in the realm of science fiction. But for Adler and Irving timing was everything and the then president of MGM Dorry Sherry was open minded and in to doing new things and gave the project the green light and an at the time top notch budget to go along with it, and the rest as they say, is history.

See Robby the robot in all his glory, see Leslie Nielson in one of his earliest and few serious acting roles and also check out foxy Anne Francis while your at it too.

The Forbidden Planet Ultimate Collector's edition hits stores November 14th and it is also on Amazon.com for preorder.

Last edited by Mecha74 on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:14 am 

Thanks for the heads up. once we got settled in I may go pick those up.

I was suprised how much my nephew liked and got Forbidden Planet. he is 10. The next day he and I had a neat conversation about the monster from the Id.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:23 pm 

Well, yesterday was the day for the release of the Forbidden Planet Ultimate Collector's Edition, and the films look fantastic quality wise(the box set includes the 1957 black and white film, The Invisible Boy also). The documentaries include...

Watch the Skies!, Science Fiction, the 1950s and us. This was a special originally aired on TCM last year and is a wonderful documentary on sci-fi from the 50s. It is narrated by Mark Hamil and runs 55 minutes.

Amazing! Exploring the far reaches of Forbidden Planet. Basically it's a making of doc that runs 26 minutes.

Robby the Robot= Engineering a sci-fi icon, A 13 minute documentary about Robby himself in sci-fi pop culture over the years.

The dvds also includes Robby TV appearances, deleted scenes and lost footage from Forbidden Planet, and movie trailers for other classic sci-fi films as well.

Also the 3" Robby replica is nicely sculpted and the Lobby cards come in a protective folder.

I give this two thumbs way up.

Secondly, due to circumstances that I do not yet know, the release of Godzilla Raids Again and Mothra vs Godzilla in stores has been delayed until sometime next year, but oddly enough you can still order the dvds from godzillaondvd.com right now.

http://www.godzillaondvdstore.com/merchant2/

I ordered mine there myself and received them after a 9 day wait. The dvds operate just fine and the site itself has a 128 bit encryption so buying from them is secure.

Ta ta for now friends.

Last edited by Mecha74 on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:09 pm 

Thats cool that it comes with INVISIBLE BOY, I thought that was a fun movie it played well to the marathon crowd last year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:21 am 

I know what I am putting on my Christmas list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:07 am 

Hello all, I'm back to announce more DVD goodies that are coming soon. I'm calling this the all kaiju edition. 8)

To start off the list, the long awaited(atleast by me anyway)DVD releases of Ghidrah The Three Headed Monster and Invasion of the Astro-monster(Godzilla vs Monster Zero)by the astounding Classic Media on June 5th. Like the other recent Classic media releases these DVDs will feature both the American and Japanese versions of both films.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghidorah-Three-He ... 81-3423328

http://www.amazon.com/Invasion-Astro-Mo ... 81-3423328

Followed on June 26th by DVD releases of Frankenstein Conquers The World..., which will have two versions of the film on it as well, one of which includes the infamous Devilfish ending no less.
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000JU8H7E ... d_i=507846

And The Giant Behemoth, a first for both of these films on DVD may I add. Also, you can get Behemoth as part of a three film box set that will also include Attack Of The 50ft Woman and Queen Of Outer Space. You can buy them this way or seperately.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000OHZJGO ... d_i=507846

Then on July 24th, The Host is finally coming! And there will be two versions, a single disc and a two disc loaded with special features.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007 ... -host-dvd/

Yes, it is a good time to be a kaiju fan, bask in the giant monster goodness my friends. See ya all later. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:24 pm 

Just released today on DVD, 20 Million Miles To Earth, the 50th anniversary 2 disc special edition! It features both the original black & white and a colorized version of the film as well. Now before all you purists shriek in mortal terror let me add that during the colorization bonus feature interview, Ray Harryhausen said that if the budget would have permitted he would've originally shot 20 Million Miles To Earth in color, but he could not. Also, he personally supervised the colorization process which was courtesy of a new studio called Legend Films which is supposed to be using a new technique for doing so as well. Having checked it out I can say that this is indeed the best colorization that I have personally ever seen IMO. But just to reinterate for those of you still currently having an anuerism, the original B&W version is on there. The films have an anamorphic widescreen aspect ratio of 1.85.

Bonus features...

Remembering 20 Million Miles to Earth, wherein Harryhausen and others discuss the film's production and influence. 27 mins.

Tim Burton Sits Down and talks with Ray Harryhausen. 26 mins.

The Joan Taylor Interview. 17 mins.

A feature about the new colorization process. 10 mins.

Mischa Bakaleinikoff: Film Music's Unsung Hero. 22 mins.

Art and production stills.

There is also a special digital sneak preview of an upcoming comic book that is actually supposed to be in comic shops called 20 Million Miles More, which features a new Ymir in a story that takes place in the present day, the comic is co-produced by Harryhausen, and may I add that the artwork is superb.

I snagged mine at my local Best Buy for $22.99.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:29 am 

Mecha74 wrote:

Tim Burton Sits Down and talks with Ray Harryhausen. 26 mins.

May be worth it just for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:17 pm 

Hello again marathoids I'm back with more DVD news. A 4 movie 2 disc set featuring films by B-movie producer Sam Katzman is being released. It will be called 'Icons of Horror Collection - Sam Katzman' and includes the following films.

The Giant Claw
Creature with the Atom Brain
Zombies of Mora Tau
The Werewolf

The street date is October 16th.

For more info go here.

http://www.amazon.com/Icons-Horror-Coll ... 090&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:31 am 

I'm back with more goodies already and how!

MGM's Midnite Movies DVD line lives!!!!

Yes, it lives again!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Uh, ahem. Anyway here are the new releases coming soon.

Food of the Gods
Witchfinder General

The rest are two movie combos.

Yongary Monster From The Deep/Konga
The Return Of Dracula/The Vampire
Phantom From 10,000 Leagues/Beast With A Million Eyes
Gorilla At Large/Mystery On Monster Island
House On Skull Mountain/The Mephisto Waltz
Beast Within/Bat People
Chosen Survivors/The Earth Dies Screaming
Tales From The Crypt/Vault Of Horror
Devils of Darkness/Witchcraft
Blueprint For Murder/Man In The Attic

Street date for all is September 11th

Also being released on the same day...

Vincent Price: MGM Scream Legends Collection

New 5 disc set will feature the following films...

The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Tales of Terror
Theater of Blood
Madhouse
Witchfinder General
Dr. Phibes Rises Again
Twice Told Tales

The fifth disc is all bonus features which include...

Vincent Price: Renaissance Man - Documentary

The Art of Fear - Featurette

Working with Vincent Price - Featurette

And last but not least...

The Elvira Movie Macbre two packs have some new releses on the way as well.

Gamera Supermonster/They Came From Outer Space
Blue Sunshine/Monstroid
Maneater of Hydra/House That Screamed

Street date is September 25th.

For more info on any of these releases just check out Amazon.

Yes my friends, tis a good time to be a sci-fi/horror fan. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:10 pm 

Back with more yet again!

Also being released on September 11th along with the massive wave of Midnite Movie DVDs and the Vincent Price: MGM Scream Legends Collection is The Fly Collection, which brings together all three of the classic films. That's right you heard me, three! This obviously means that the third and never before released film The Curse Of The Fly from 1965 is indeed included in this set. So you have The Fly, Return Of The Fly and The Curse Of The Fly all together at last.

The DVD box set will also include a bonus disc with as of yet unrevealed content.

For more info...

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Collection-Re ... 575&sr=8-2

Damn, September is looking exspensive! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:11 pm 

Wow, long time no update. :oops:

Now available at select Best Buy stores from Warner Bros. are three double feature DVDs featuring the following...

Moon Zero Two/When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

World Without End/Satellite In The Sky

Battle Beneath The Earth/The Ultimate Warrior

The films are widescreen and the DVDs are $16.99 a piece.

And also 'When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth' is uncut, meaning you get to see Victoria Vetri in the buff. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:15 pm 

Coming September 9th.

War Of The Gargantuas/Rodan 2 disc set from Classic media.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2008 ... dvd-specs/

Coming October 14th.

Icons of Horror: Hammer Films (2-disc) (The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb / The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll / Scream of Fear / The Gorgon)

http://www.amazon.com/Icons-Horror-Hamm ... 747&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:38 am 

I went to the Mid-Ohio-Con over this past weekend and got to meet Lou Ferrigno (Incredible Hulk) and Doug Jones (Hellboy 2, Fantastic Four 2, Pan’s Labyrinth) … but what really surprised me was the number of tables selling bootleg DVDs. I got 1984 and Galaxy of Terror for $10 each and the complete series of Freddy’s Nightmares for $40. Not a bad weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:43 pm 

MarathonVet wrote:
I went to the Mid-Ohio-Con over this past weekend and got to meet Lou Ferrigno (Incredible Hulk) and Doug Jones (Hellboy 2, Fantastic Four 2, Pan’s Labyrinth) … but what really surprised me was the number of tables selling bootleg DVDs. I got 1984 and Galaxy of Terror for $10 each and the complete series of Freddy’s Nightmares for $40. Not a bad weekend.

I was there too, and yeah Mid-Ohiocon and bootleg DVds go together like beer and pizza. They've cracked down in recent years though, with only 4 dvd vendors this year it is the least that I've ever seen, I remember the days when there would usually be close to 10.