It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "SPLICE" Minor Spoilers
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:40 pm 

Well I got my advanced screening tickets to "SPLICE"
at the time of this posting there are still pass available:

http://advancescreenings.com/screening/go/9711

Good Luck!!

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 am 

More free passes are available here:

http://advancescreenings.com/screening/go/9870

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:02 am 

What a total waste of film....

The power went out during the last 15 minutes of the movie and I was happy to leave. My biggest concern about this movie was that it would be to much like SPECIES and 20 minutes into the movie I was wishing it was more like SPECIES.

I hate when hollywood finds a way to disguise a chick flick and make it seem like a horror or sci-fi movie. Seriously there is about 50 or so minutes in this movie where they bond with the "girl" and tell her how much they love her, like I said I left with about 15 minutes left in the movie and the body count was at ZERO.....What a total waste of film, time and effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:34 am 

That's too bad. I was going to see it this weekend ... now I don't know. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:55 am 

Yeah but the body count in that last 15 minutes...

I haven't seen it, was just kidding. I doubt even 15 minutes of carnage would make up for the rest of the film based on what you said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:13 am 

Dennis wrote:
Yeah but the body count in that last 15 minutes...

I haven't seen it, was just kidding. I doubt even 15 minutes of carnage would make up for the rest of the film based on what you said.

Don't let me stop you from seeing it, you may like it but well it's obviouse how I felt about it.

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:22 am 

I had actually heard/read a lot of good about it - just that the film is being marketed as something it isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:47 pm 

AEinhorn wrote:
I had actually heard/read a lot of good about it - just that the film is being marketed as something it isn't.

I am sure fans of Yentel and Steel Magnolias will love this film :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:20 pm 

I am sure fans of Yentel and Steel Magnolias will love this film :wink:[/quote]

I happen to LOVE Steel Magnolias Tim... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:42 pm 

Josh Roxxx wrote:
I happen to LOVE Steel Magnolias Tim... :P

Than you should really like SPLICE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:33 am 

"Splice" is a fine film. Not great, but decent. If you like early Cronenberg films, then you might like this one. It's not really a horror film like it's being marketed though. I know there's a strong current of people who would prefer a fast-paced schlockfest like Jason X (sorry Tim. Actually I like that film too) than a slower paced, adult SF/horror like this so it's really not going to be for everyone.

I think the bottom line is that if you like films like The Fly (which this comes closest to in pacing) and The Brood, then you might like this film. If you don't like those types of films then you won't like Splice at all. But even if you hate it, I hope you won't discourage people from seeing it. An original, independent SF, horror film like this needs all the financial support it can get. The horror community complains endlessly about the horrible remakes and sequels that keep coming out, but then they don't show up and support what few original movies do get theatrical releases. So even if you don't want to see it, or hated it, I hope the next movie you see you'll pay for Splice and just walk into Shrek 4 or whatever...support the little guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:53 am 

I like The Fly and The Brood but I agree with your main point. The marketing for the film is all wrong and they would propably attract the intended audience if the would have marketed it as such, but instead they are going to attract a bunch of teens that are going to bash it all to hell on the net.

I wish bait and switch laws applied to the entertainment industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:34 pm 

I definately agree that it's a welcome change of pace that SPLICE is an SF/Horror film about SOMEthing, rather than just mindless action or slasher gore. Still, the film is only half-successful. There are far too many "you gotta be kidding!" moments in the script, I didn't buy that the experiment could have gone on so long without being detected (unlike the aforementioned FLY and BROOD which made a point about ISOLATING the protagonists), and the main characters seem to do things in accordance to the story's needs rather than organically.

Still, I would hate it if the fact that the film bombed at the box office is taken by Hollywood as a sign that audiences don't want genre films of substance. Rather, they should conclude that SPLICE was mediocre, and that's why it flopped.

MEATFETISH wrote:
"Splice" is a fine film. Not great, but decent. If you like early Cronenberg films, then you might like this one. It's not really a horror film like it's being marketed though. I know there's a strong current of people who would prefer a fast-paced schlockfest like Jason X (sorry Tim. Actually I like that film too) than a slower paced, adult SF/horror like this so it's really not going to be for everyone.

I think the bottom line is that if you like films like The Fly (which this comes closest to in pacing) and The Brood, then you might like this film. If you don't like those types of films then you won't like Splice at all. But even if you hate it, I hope you won't discourage people from seeing it. An original, independent SF, horror film like this needs all the financial support it can get. The horror community complains endlessly about the horrible remakes and sequels that keep coming out, but then they don't show up and support what few original movies do get theatrical releases. So even if you don't want to see it, or hated it, I hope the next movie you see you'll pay for Splice and just walk into Shrek 4 or whatever...support the little guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:11 am 

I agree with LA Connection. The movie is in no way great, but I admire the fact that something like that got released on 2000 screens in 2010. Odd choice to release it in summer, but movies like this rarely see the light of day. I think the movie is kind of a rough draft of what could be a great movie. Like if Cronenberg had made The Fly in 1980 instead of 1986, before his skills had really developed and he wasn't quite ready for the material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:45 am 

Taking that further, I was relating my impression of the film to someone today and I said what the film really needed was one of two things to happen:

1. One more pass at the screenplay where some of the more far-fetched ideas got smoothed out

2. A Producer who could have spotted some of the plot holes and inconsistencies and fixed them in time

And, not sure if anyone on the board knows this, but the film's mixed reception at Sundance was so weak that SPLICE was almost dumped to TV as a Straight to SCI-FI Channel movie! Yup, a $30M budget film!

MEATFETISH wrote:
I agree with LA Connection. The movie is in no way great, but I admire the fact that something like that got released on 2000 screens in 2010. Odd choice to release it in summer, but movies like this rarely see the light of day. I think the movie is kind of a rough draft of what could be a great movie. Like if Cronenberg had made The Fly in 1980 instead of 1986, before his skills had really developed and he wasn't quite ready for the material.