The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BATTLE: LOS ANGELES
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:58 pm 

Hey, why they always blowing up my city?

Have NO intention of seeing this, but it is getting some of the most scathing reviews of a major release SF film in a while. My fave quips so far come from venerable Roger Ebert: "Here's a science-fiction film that's an insult to the words "science" and "fiction," and the hyphen in between them...Young men: If you attend this crap with friends who admire it, tactfully inform them they are idiots. Young women: If your date likes this movie, tell him you've been thinking it over, and you think you should consider spending some time apart. "

Yipes!

A couple of friends of mine worked on it, and say they are embarrassed to have their names attached!

SPOILER ALERT!!! About the upcoming movie BATTLESHIP (the Board Game, yeah, the BOARD GAME)

They also tell me that BATTLESHIP has a plot that is very similar to BATTLE LA! They even warned the producers about the similarities - but, they...uh...battled forward.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:18 pm 

Not to crap on your point, but when you say "some of the most scathing reviews of a major release SF film in a while," does that mean that we can interpret "in a while" as "a few months ago?"

Does anyone remember SKYLINE?...

...anyone?...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:58 pm 

Who could forget SKYLINE?! :wink:

But, even that one was sloughed off as a relatively low budget turkey. It didn't seem to engender the nastiness of some of BATTLE L.A.'s reviews. And BATTLE had a budget at least 7 times that of SKYLINE (other estimates are far higher, particularly when you factor in marketing costs).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:02 pm 

Saw it.

Enjoyed it.

It was a fun movie.

I must be a moron and don't realize it. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:00 am 

I learned when I was about 10 that Siskel, Ebert and I do not agree on much and often I would wait for them to trash a movie before I would go see it and 9 times out of 10 I would love the movie. But if it was some artsie POS they would always give it thumbs up, they did not relate to the common man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:56 pm 

To be fair to Siskel & Ebert, they were always pretty fair to genre fare, much more so than many elite critics. I remember them enjoying stuff like INFRA-MAN and the 90s GAMERA films for instance.
Regardless, in today's internets age, there are dozens and dozens of online critics including many in the fanboy base. And, there wasn't too much difference between Mainstream critics and the fanboys with BATTLE:LA - it was pretty much hated on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 pm 

In defense of Siskel and Ebert, the reason why "artsie fare" usually got thumbs up is because if they both hated it they usually ignored it rather than reviewed it. They always tended to try and push a film like Hoop Dreams or One False Move than knock a small film down.

And Roger just gave 4 stars to Rango. Not exactly a film disconnected from the masses.

Post subject: Movie Critics
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:15 pm 

My opinion of movie critics is, NEVER listen to them, no matter how trustworthy they seem, no matter how much you have in common with them, because NO ONE can honestly tell you you will like a movie, hate a movie, etc. THEY hate certain films, but that does not mean that YOU will. You wouldn't take someone's word for it if they told you "Don't try that new burger", so don't take someone's word for it when they tell you "Don't go see that new movie. The ONLY person that can truly tell you if you like a movie or not, is you, when you see it. Experience is the best teacher. If you take a movie critics' word for it, you will miss out on SOOOOO many awesome films. Trust me. The reason why is because movie critics seem to hate ALL movies, and the movies they don't hate, are usually boring, to me anyway. Just my 2 cents. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:32 pm 

For the record, I liked Battle:LA. It was exactly the type of armyVSalien fun that I hoped it would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:35 pm 

See, I think reading a critics review to decide if a film is for you or not is entirely valuable. You just need to have a responsible critic, and a critical eye for reading.

If you expect a critic to be able to say "See this" or "Don't see that," you're going about it wrong. Of course, so do most critics.

A good critic explains what he sees in a film, and what is done well, and what isn't. Whether or not the critic likes it or not belongs in there too, sure, but it shouldn't be the main thrust.

That way, you can read a critics review, and use that to inform yourself about whether or not you might enjoy the film. Don't take their "I liked it/didn't like it" comments as the whole element, but read through and see "Ok, the director spends more time doing action and adventure than inter-character development." And use it to decide if this is the film to go see on Friday when you're in the mood for a Woody Allen-esque talking head comedy.

Critics serve a valuable function when they do their jobs right. But that doesn't mean that readers should follow any given critic and see everything that critic likes, or see nothing that critic dislikes.