The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:10 pm 

To all who saw it at last year's Marathon, "Galaxina" will be released on blu ray this week as a Sci-Fi double feature with "Crater Lake Monster"!

Not sure how "Galaxina" will benefit from the blu ray treatment, and some might quesion why it deserves it, but there you go!

I actually LOVE this kind of film at the Marathon. And it doesn't really matter to me how bad the film print might be...As I remember from last year, it was pretty degraded and pinkish, but these are the kind of films we would. NEVER see on the big screen otherwise... a true time warp.

Give me Galaxina, The Apple, Spaceboy, Galaxy of Terror, Chopping Mall, Robot Monster, Frankenstein meets the Space Monster, Duck Dodgers, Trailers galore, and give it to me all night long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:57 pm 

Will it be in OAR and the extras that was on the standard DVD release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:40 pm 

I understand your point, and I love a good "bad" movie as much as the next guy. But Galaxina is pathetically terrible, and not in an enjoyable way. Maybe it would have been more entertaining had it played earlier than 8AM, but probably not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:32 pm 

Galaxina is presented in 2.35:1. I'm not sure about the extras. Not sure of the rules here about posting links to stores, so I won't, but it's very cheap on the online store named for a river.

Yes, Galaxina is terrible, but I agree that the time slot last year made it WAY worse. Still, I have loved watching all the bad flicks the Marathon has thrown at me (EXCEPT for "Automatons"!) The nostalgia sometimes overrides all else for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:03 pm 

When I suggest the film Galaxina I just saw the poster and view the trailer. After I watched the movie (Rhino home video pan and scan) I realized how bad the movie was.

Automatons is in a class of itself. I did find a copy of it dirt cheap. I still don't know what's going on. Its like watching a dream dreamed by David Lynch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:05 pm 

On the subject of bad movies, has anyone seen "Star Crystal" (1985)? I picked it up yesterday at a flea market on DVD...Had never seen it before, although the reviews on IMDB are merciless. Looking forward to checking out this gem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:23 pm 

GALAXINA was actually kind of fun the first time it showed in Boston. It captures a time just before the last gasp of drive-ins where stuff that was soon to become "Straight To Video" actually got a theatrical release wide enough to even be reviewed on Siskel & Ebert. Of course, the tragic death of Dorothy Stratton added to its slim notoriety.

Unfortunately, it was decreed that it get booked a SECOND time in order to get the money's worth out of the purchased private print. To think of all the worthy SF films that have STILL never played at a Marathon, and GALAXINA has been shown Three times (counting Ohio)?? The mind boggles!!

He-he, guess where that print ended up? :wink:

RE:
sanctuary wrote:
On the subject of bad movies, has anyone seen "Star Crystal" (1985)? I picked it up yesterday at a flea market on DVD...Had never seen it before, although the reviews on IMDB are merciless. Looking forward to checking out this gem.

Oh, gosh, one of Boston's most infamous "Premieres"!! Seeing this already tired at that time E.T./ALIEN ripoff (apparently having spent time on the shelf - not even worthy of VHS!!) trotted out a as a "Premiere" was painful, painful....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:48 pm 

Saturday evening I order Birdemic from TWC. That's got to be the second WORST MOVIE ever made. Including that Matrix parody that screened at the Science Fiction marathon. I still view Monster A Go Go the worst because there was nothing going on. Manos, Robot Monster stuff happens in these movies.

Turner Classics Movies do air low budgets horror and science fiction flicks late night fridays early saturdays. This pass weekend they aired The Boogens and Ghoulies. Both in HD, uncut, and OAR.

Then I view Paranormal Activity slightly better than Monster A Go Go. Nothing happens in these movies. I give Paranormal Activity 2 better than Activity 1 and Monster A Go Go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:09 pm 

Ghoulies is actually a great 80's movie. Lots of Laughs and plenty of cheese. Would love to see it play at the horror marathon sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 am 

I watched "Star Crystal" last night, and oh my God. I doubt anyone is that concerned over spoilers for this gem, but who knows? I'll just say that the movie COMPLETELY switches gears in the last 10 minutes. Very strange.