The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Guess who's coming to dinner?

So yes, after much teasing and subterfuge, here it is: the (almost complete) film list for the 3rd Annual Ohio 24-Hour Horror Marathon a.k.a

SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK!

A major highlight of this year’s festival will be a rare, archival 35mm screening of Robert Wiene’s silent masterpiece of German Expressionist horror, THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI. We’re proud to welcome Sue Harshe (of Columbus rock stalwarts Scrawl) back to the Nightmarathon stage for a LIVE MUSICAL ACCOMPANIMENT to the film. SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK veterans will remember Sue from her stunning short film performance at the 2009 edition of the event, so the chance to see her stretch out her talents to feature length should be a treat.

But that’s not all! This celebration of cinematic excess will also include:

*A celebration of Vincent Price’s 100th Birthday, featuring a 50th Anniversary screening of the classic 1961 Roger Corman version of THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM!

*Boris Karloff meets his mate in the Universal classic THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN!

*A super-rare screening of quite possibly the only 35mm English language print of the bizarro Japanese cult curio GOKE: BODYSNATCHER FROM HELL!

*Udo Kier’s tour de force performance as the not-so-good doctor in Paul Morrissey’s gory and transgressively erotic FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN (a.k.a. ANDY WARHOL’S FRANKENSTEIN)!

*Lucio Fulci’s surreal “hey, who left the gates of Hell open?” masterpiece THE BEYOND!

*A ridiculously rare 35mm screening of Rutger Hauer and C. Thomas Howell in THE HITCHER, Eric Red’s 1986 cult classic road thriller!

*S+M Cenobites in Clive Barker’s directorial debut, HELLRAISER!

*Ti West’s modern classic of terror THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL, featuring cult icons Mary Woronov and Tom Noonan!

* Nathan Filion, Michael Rooker and Elizabeth Banks in the oft-requested, oft-promised, splatterifically sicko sluggerific siliness that is SLITHER!

We’re also pursuing one or two other premieres to add or substitute into the lineup. Possible screenings include:

*The most controversial and shocking film of the decade: A SERBIAN FILM!

*More depraved grotesqueries in Tom Six’s THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE II (FULL SEQUENCE)!

*THE THEATRE BIZARRE, a new horror omnibus featuring directors Tom Savini and Richard Stanley, and starring Udo Kier and Debbie Rochon!

*Ti West’s haunted hotel thriller THE INNKEEPERS!

*Dave Foley, Art Hindle, “The Mouth of the South” Jimmy Hart and Kevin Nash(!) in the creature battle royale of MONSTER BRAWL!

*The low budget inventiveness of the Lovecraft-inspired THE WHISPERER IN THE DARKNESS!

*Lucky McKee’s controversial THE WOMAN!

PLUS!
-The 3rd Annual Costume Contest, with $100 first prize and the return of the giant check!
-The 3rd Annual Scream Contest!
-Coffinloads of prizes!
-Trailers, trailers and more trailers and shorts from the Nightmarathon archives!
-Official Shock Certificate to all who survive! Suitable for framing…or hanging!
-And more surprises!

Tickets for the 3rd Annual SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK are $35 in advance or $40 at the door and can be purchased starting late Friday afternoon at:

Grandview Theatre
1247 Grandview Avenue
Columbus, Ohio
614-358-2886
info@grandviewtheatre.net
(Hours may vary. Consult the theatre's website for showtimes.)

Laughing Ogre Comics
4258 N. High St.
Columbus, Ohio
highstreet@laughingogrecomics.com
Mon. and Tues. 11:00-7:00
Wed. through Sat. 10:00-8:00
Sunday 12:00-6:00

Tickets may also be purchased by mail order with check or money order payable to the Grandview Theatre (please add $1 per order service fee) to:

Horror Marathon
Grandview Theatre
PO Box 12129
Columbus OH 43212

Furthermore, tickets may also be purchased online via PayPal (a $2.00 per ticket service fee is included). Check the TICKETS link at http://www.horrormarathon.com.

For all the latest Nightmarathon-related news, visit the Official SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK website at http://www.horrormarathon.com. And get your sleep now, for come October there’ll be no rest for the wicked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 pm 

Getting my ticket tomorrow. So excited to see so much added to the lineup. Now to decide whether or not I want to bother with a costume this year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:33 pm 

Meat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:59 pm 

This lineup rules and has me tempted to skip my Chicago one and drive out there! So many good movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:02 am 

Outstanding lineup. First stay away from A Serbian Film and Human Centipeade II Full Complex. In my opinion those two films are obscene. The rest of the possible premiers are just fine.

Did the 3D test for Flesh for Frankenstein pass?

Slither the red headed stepchild of the science fiction and horror marathons. Please schedule the film early as possible.

The Hitcher a great choice glad to see it on the lineup.

In what format is The Beyond going to be screen? Will it be the uncensored DVD or the censored film print?

So far this could be the best lineup in the history of the Shock Around the Clock. Thanks Joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:26 am 

I agree with Will about the premieres. I'd stay away from Serbian Film and Human Centipede II. I'm pretty sure that there are still uncensored 35mm prints of The Beyond out there from when Grindhouse released the original DVD. There was a midnight movie revival in 1998 through Grindhouse. I missed it then, but caught it a few years later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:34 am 

Excellent lineup. Personally, I've seen every one of those films (besides the premieres obviously) and I'm not complaining one bit. I look forward to watching them again on the big screen! Can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:12 am 

I showed The Beyond a few years back at The All Night Shriek O Rama Horror Marathon in Delaware,OH and it is an uncut print if it's from Grindhouse. I think there are also a few more prints out there from various sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:14 am 

Infra-Kid wrote:
I showed The Beyond a few years back at The All Night Shriek O Rama Horror Marathon in Delaware,OH and it is an uncut print if it's from Grindhouse. I think there are also a few more prints out there from various sources.

This is a cool film although the flesh eating Tarantulas still give me nightmares

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:16 am 

If Joe can get a print from Grindhouse it would be great. Plus try to include that Werewolves on Wheels trailer. Going to get my ticket at 11AM Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:25 am 

THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI - Excited to see this!!

THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM - One of the best Vincent Price Movies ever

THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN - for me this is the movie that can be dropped if any have to. Good movie just seen it to many times

GOKE: BODYSNATCHER FROM HELL - This will probably be the crowd favorite!!

FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN - Blood and Boobs the perfect combination

THE BEYOND - Freaky, supernatural, strange, Fulcio

THE HITCHER - AWESOME 80's!!

HELLRAISER - Would prefer part 2 but still a great marathon movie

THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL - I have watch my blu-ray of this 10 times, can't wait to see it on the big screen

SLITHER - Please don't drop Slither this time!! Love this Movie!!

Great Line Up Guys can't wait!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:05 am 

And the dangling carrot pays off! I'm very excited and satisfied with the current lineup announcement. An eclectic mix so far, with a great variety of styles and tones, as well as a good sampling of different decades.

Nice to see a majority of these films all being new to the Columbus marathons. Plus, for the handful that are repeat screenings, it has been more than 20 years. Nice job.

VERY excited for The Beyond.

I saw both The Hitcher and Hellraiser way back when in the theater and have actually never revisited them. I don't remember thinking much of either one, but often those are the very circumstances that lead to exciting marathon re-discoveries. This, in my opinion, is one of the things that the marathon is all about.

As for Slither? Fantastic fit for any marathon, but I'll believe it when I see it. :wink:

Finally, the fact that no one wants to see A Serbian Film is the PERFECT reason to screen it. :)

Having been to a few SciFi marathons recently and dealing with it's variable certainty, I'm not used to there being so much juicy information while the marathon is still so far away. Six weeks can't come soon enough. I just ordered my tickets through PayPal. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:28 am 

Very excited for the live music here - The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari
Pit And The Pendulum - Haven't seen this flick, since I saw it on Night Owl Theater. Very excited

The Bride Of Frankenstien - Have only seen this in bits & pieces. Extremely excited to see this on screen & in it's entirety.

GOKE: BODYSNATCHER FROM HELL - Dunno what to think about this one LOL

Flesh For Frankenstien - two words AWE-SOME

The Beyond - Never seen it, excited tho.

The Hitcher - Terribly underrated & great flick.

Hellraiser - Meh, I have seen this so many times, that this may be a great time for a nap.

The House Of The Devil - this will be great

Slither - Meh, another one I've seen several times

A Serbian Film - Quite frankly, don't understand why people think this is a great film. But, I suppose after Irreversible & Martyrs, we have to continue the tradition of a brutal & buzz-creating movie. It'll be a great time for a break.

MONSTER BRAWL would be awesome!!!! & a great way to wake everyone up!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:16 pm 

I've already purchased my ticket through PayPal.

I'm definitely psyched to see the classics on the big screen: Caligari, Bride of Frankenstein, Pit and the Pendulum. And I've seen Goke and am absolutely thrilled at the prospect of seeing it on a big screen.

And I've never seen The Hitcher, Flesh for Frankenstein, or Hellraiser ( :oops: ), so it'll be fun to also get to see a few I've never viewed before.

I'm encouraging one or two friends to buy tickets and go as well. Sounds like it'll be a blast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:16 pm 

srowley75 wrote:
I'm encouraging one or two friends to buy tickets and go as well. Sounds like it'll be a blast!

Everyone needs to do this :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next