The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:34 pm 

While the announcements aren't bad, I am underwhelmed so far. Of course, there is a BIG Asterisk* in that a lot of these films have played Boston recently, so I have to take that into account:

LUNOPOLIS - Played only the Festival part of the Boston event a year ago. It got a pretty good response from what I hear from the few who attended.

PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES - Has become an unofficial Hall of Fame Marathon film in Boston (mainly, for the number of times the name "Mark" is exclaimed). It's not a bad movie, but I've seen it too many times. Hopefully, this is the nicely restored print from Sony that we showed a few years back.

IRON MAN - Very good superhero film. Can't argue with this pick.

BUCKAROO BANZAI - Another cult film that I've seen too many times to get excited about seeing again. And, I even saw it during its original (unsuccesful) theaterical run. Plus, I've never quite understood it's appeal. Sure, it's fun and colorful - but, it ain't a great film by any means.

LATE FOR DINNER - WD Richter did come to Boston years ago when we showed both this and BANZAI. DINNER is a pretty good film, and definately more SF than HAPPY ACCIDENTS (which I also liked). My only problem with it is that it seems incomplete. It's as if the budget got cut at the last minute and they just rushed the film. The end is abrupt. Again, quite a bit better than folks here seem to fear.

awaiting more announcements.................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 pm 

The reason why I subscribe to Netflix is to watch movies and TV series I can't get at the UA, Westerville and the Grandview Libraries. Oddly I don't subscribe to the Blu Ray option for Netflix because they have been neglected in adding Blu Ray titles. Oddly the UA and Grandview libraries have better selection of the commercial mainstream movies than Netflix.

Anyway if the powers at be schedule late for dinner early I might help out at the check in table.

As for my earlier post, I do like the lineup so far. For some marathonoids certain movies of the lineup won't be of their liking. This is the place to air their grievances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm 

I'm liking it so far. Love Buckaroo-childhood cable classic. Iron Man is a good recent option (let's keep it to just one, please). Planet of the Vampires is a cool older, near-classic. Hope it's a good print because that movie has a great look. And then 2 other movies I've never seen. Late For Dinner probably will not be for everyone, but if it plays before 6, I'm game. I liked Happy Accidents and Code 46 which both kept the sci-fi parts to a minimum (both great date movies too). Lunopolis looks really cool and has an 8.3 on IMDB. Hopefully, it's the only video projection (I guess shot on video premieres are okay). Can't wait to hear the rest of the lineup!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hear hear on Planet of the Vampires, which is an underappreciated gem. If the print is anything like the gorgeous one that played Boston in 2003, it should be a treat. Yes, there are some B-movie elements, but the production and costume design (dig those leather space outfits!) are stellar and, as always, Bava expertly develops a haunting and encroaching atmosphere of dread. And it's a clear influence on Alien.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:43 am 

As I don't care much for Late for dinner, I always buy a ticket and partake in the concessions to keep the crazy thing known as the Science Fiction Marathon going. I do hope that there will be more announcements soon.

I go regardless of the lineup in hoping to see Gravity once more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:23 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Hear hear on Planet of the Vampires, which is an underappreciated gem.

I cannot wait to see Planet of the Vampires on the big screen. I have the DVD and it looks spectacular! The whole film is very colorful and rich, sometimes psychedelic... They made great use of colored gel lighting and the way it plays off the textures onscreen gives it a very distinctive look. And I WANT one of those black leather-like space suits with the skull caps!!! hehe

I love this kaleidescopic , trippy feel in sci-fi movies...I think that's part of the reason I love the original Spaceboy so much... another film that has this quality is Journey To The Seventh Planet, which played at a marathon I had to miss. I still regret not being able to see that one larger than life.

I hope Planet of the Vampires plays at a decent hour so I can really enjoy it.

Thanks, guys, for getting this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:16 pm 

Then there are the Castleberry (or Castleburry) farms BBQ ads that look like a horrible flesh wound. Personally I like the trailers over the short films (with the exclusion of Spaceboy, Gravity, Duck Dodgers, and the Bread films.)

One month to go Sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

*cough* Check the films page for a new addition...and of course, many more films to be announced soon... :D *cough*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:37 pm 

jenbowie wrote:
*cough* Check the films page for a new addition...and of course, many more films to be announced soon... :D *cough*

TROLL HUNTER, eh?

It was booked for the Boston Marathon's Festival section, but got cancelled by the distributors. Hopefully, they won't do the same in Ohio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:58 pm 

Looks cool!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:07 pm 

Troll Hunter eh? Looks good I guess. IMO Troll Hunter be a better fit for the Horror thon. Then most distributors of smaller films overlook Columbus these days.

Sill hoping for Jason X.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:54 pm 

Okay, just watched the trailer, and Troll Hunter looks great! That's jumping to the top of the list as my most anticipated movie of the marathon so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:24 pm 

Definitely high on my list. It just seems like despite some high quality US sci-fi and horror films over the last decade (and there have been some really great ones despite the glut of garbage). But even the best US genre films rarely seem daring and boundary pushing. I just like the idea of treating Trolls as a legitimate threat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:04 am 

I'm looking forward to watching Troll Hunter. Did the powers at be get the film because it is available now or Troll Hunter won't be available around October? Now there are five or six films to go for the lineup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:57 am 

Let's not get six more films (it'll be too jam-packed), but we definitely could use 5 more. Especially some older classics.

Assuming that you can watch 12+ films in 24 hours never really works out because of all the breaks, short films, contests, projection problems, etc etc....They need to leave a little bit of "wiggle room" so that the schedule flows smoothly without being rushed, or running until after 2:00 PM on Sunday (as they have numerous times in the past).

Looking forward to another stellar time at the Drexel, knee deep in Sci-Fi joy (and spilled soda).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next