The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:46 pm 

Saw this interesting review of ENTHIRAN from the Onion's AV Club (actually a pretty straightforward part of the Onion unit): http://www.avclub.com/articles/enthiran,52653/

The author, I think, does a pretty good job of describing a "typical" American moviegoers' impression of such a Bollywood spectacle. I've seen a handful myself, and a little of the music and dancing goes a looooooong way.

As the author notes, much of the good sfx stuff is captured in that 10 minute trailer (link in the review). After that, you have to sit through more than 2 1/2 hours of Bollywood stuff. It seems like a judicious editor could try and re-cut the 3 hour+ flick into a more digestible (for USA) 90 minute edition. I know this has been tried before with mixed results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:01 pm 

AEinhorn wrote:
I'm sure there's at least one or two more features left to be added.

According to my very broad calculations of the average sci-fi marathons' runtimes, we should still see another 250 minutes worth of movies added to the marathon, if not more.

And considering that Endhiran will mean about 3 straight hours of programming with no breaks added in to eat up part of the 24-hour total, that 250 prediction will probably wind up closer to 300.

sanctuary wrote:
I rolled my eyes and cursed when I saw that a 3 hour "Bollywood Musical" had been added to the lineup...

And then I had a look at the trailer, and I couldn't stop smiling. Actually looking forward to this.

I'll admit to a somewhat similar reaction, though perhaps slightly more muted.

The trailer really is entertaining, but a 3 hour movie is something else entirely. This movie could go either way with the fans at this year's marathon. It could wind up being an enjoyable romp, or its possible that after the 100th minute or so people will start hating it with the fervor reserved for the likes of Automatons.

Not that this movie looks anywhere near as bad as Automatons. Like I said, the trailer was a blast! Its just that there are probably quite a few movies over the marathon's years that were enjoyable for their runtime, but would've been hated by all if there were an extra hour and a half of movie runtime tacked onto them.

But after seeing the trailer, I think I'll be more than willing to give this movie a chance.

And if it's subtitled, it may get a ton of snarking from the peanut gallery. Which may or may not be a good thing. Hopefully there'll be good bits to laugh at. Didn't last year's Godzilla movie have some sort of "scientist's play room" or something like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:20 am 
Site Admin

*whispers* Go check the Films page... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:04 am 

Awesome! Cargo looks great. War of the Worlds is always welcome. Endhiran could be great or it could be incredibly painful at 3 hours. Troll Hunter looks fun. This could be a great year for premieres. With Late For Dinner and a 3 hour Bollywood-sci-fi film it will be a tough year to figure out programming. I'm still hoping for one more great 70's or 80's classic. But really excited for this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:20 am 

Cargo looks like it could be pretty good. Seems like a really good choice for a premiere. Looking forward to it.

MEATFETISH wrote:
This could be a great year for premieres.
We'll see once we actually watch them, but yeah, I have to agree for now. Troll Hunter, Cargo, Lunopolis, and Endhiran all look like they could be very enjoyable.

(And even if for some reason they don't count as premieres technically, they're new movies that I haven't seen, so good enough for me.)

MEATFETISH wrote:
With Late For Dinner and a 3 hour Bollywood-sci-fi film it will be a tough year to figure out programming.

Anyone else think that War Of The Worlds would make a great lead-off movie?

What's the finale going to be? Buckaroo Banzai seems like an obvious choice, but I think Iron Man could also fill that spot. If we're getting a guest associated with Buckaroo, then it would more likely play Saturday afternoon.

Cargo looks like a good movie for 10pm or midnight or 1-2am.

Hmm, thinking about it, usually I would be strongly against a premiere in the finale spot, but what about Endhiran. It looks very bright and colorful and fun. I have no idea what type of pace the movie has, but if it can keep up the pace for the whole thing, it might make a good finale. (Though I'm also afraid that some people might pre-judge the movie and leave early in that instance.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:55 am 

Cargo looks good and I do hope War of the Worlds (1953) makes it. Is any of the films will be video projected this year? IMO Endhiran should be schedule around 4 or 6pm due to its runtime. All is needed is the schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:59 am 

3 movies we have to read, isn't there any American premiers available? I am not complaining just wondering why so many foreign films in one marathon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:11 am 

Super excited to see WotW on the big screen. One of my favorite films of all time.

Also, Cargo looks fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:23 am 

I echo Jaws's sentiment. I normally don't like to read movies because I feel it detracts from the action on the screen. Hopefully, they will split them up sufficiently so it isn't an overload of reading. Still, Cargo looks intriguing. [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:11 am 

I've never understood why people complain about subtitles, but I will say that 3 subtitled movies may be too much, especially since one of them is 3 hours long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:46 am 

Isn't Lunopolis an American Movie? If so there is your American film premier.

I don't called Endhiran a premier since it is out on DVD.

I don't have any problems with subtitle movies. It beats out bad English dubs. It's easy to follow what's going on and read the subtitles at the same time. I don't care if a movie have subtitles or not. I care if its a good movie or not.

Now since this just a opinion, a thought experiment of sorts.
In my opinion here is the order of the films. Just a suggestion

Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension with Duck Dodgers
Planet of the Vampires
Lunopolis with costume contest
Cargo with Bread Shorts
Endhiran with Spaceboy short
Troll Hunter
Iron Man
War of the Worlds
Late for Dinner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:04 am 

I wouldn't group all the subtitled movies together. 6-8 hours of reading movies isn't going to be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:05 am 

willcail wrote:
Isn't Lunopolis an American Movie? If so there is your American film premier.

I don't called Endhiran a premier since it is out on DVD.

I don't have any problems with subtitle movies. It beats out bad English dubs. It's easy to follow what's going on and read the subtitles at the same time. I don't care if a movie have subtitles or not. I care if its a good movie or not.

Now since this just a opinion, a thought experiment of sorts.
In my opinion here is the order of the films. Just a suggestion

Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension with Duck Dodgers
Planet of the Vampires
Lunopolis with costume contest
Cargo with Bread Shorts
Endhiran with Spaceboy short
Troll Hunter
Iron Man
War of the Worlds
Late for Dinner

Assuming WD Richter isn't a guest, I'd go with the following:

War of the Worlds
Lunopolis
Late For Dinner
Endhiran
Planet of the Vampires
Troll Hunter
Cargo
Iron Man
Buckaroo Banzai

Hopefully there's still one (dare I wish for 2?) more titles. I'd play Endhiran around the dinner hour in case people wan to leave for dinner- at 3 hours they can see some of the movie and decide if it's worth sticking around for or get dinner. Late for Dinner might be a tough one to sit through too, so those titles could be switched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 am 

My Guess would be:

War of the Worlds
    Lunopolis
    Late For Dinner
    Endhiran
    TBA Feature
    Planet of the Vampires
    Troll Hunter
    Jason X
    Cargo
    Iron Man
    Buckaroo Banzai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:06 pm 

Trying to schedule a 3 hour movie will be tricky. It might be possible to get one more film but IMO I wouldn't push it. Try to schedule Endhiran earlier in the marathon would be best to get it out of the way. Since delays do happen and want to end at noon Sunday it might be better just to stick with 9 films.

Just treat subtitles films like picture books.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next