The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:42 am 

Hmm are you hinted that it colud be Automatons the musical. I doubt Bruce will do that to us. Then they did screen The Apple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:59 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Hmmm... ultra low budget, shot in black&white, featuring tiny robots...

...uh oh.

Yeah, but to be fair, none of those three elements are what made Automatons a terrible film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:20 am 

Here's a longer trailer for Stingray Sam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4uwrghMdSo

Of course, since Stingray Sam isn't terribly long, this might be one of those deals where watching the trailer gives away too much of the movie. So you might want to skip that link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Two more items announced:
http://www.scifimarathon.com/films.html

Also, unfortunately we do not have an image of the final artwork for the t-shirts yet, but if you want to order yours early to ensure you get the size you want (and just pick it up at the 'thon) you can do it now:
http://www.scifimarathon.com/goods.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:30 pm 

jenbowie wrote:

Otherwise known as "Joe's dinner break." :wink:

I am a fan of the first one and support the sequel's inclusion in the lineup, but I'm trepidacious that the formula may not work again. I knew nothing about the first one when I saw it at SF19, so it was a pleasant surprise. We'll see how it turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:43 pm 

In my opinion that this could be one of the best marathon's ever. Just to be sure that the original Spaceboy is still inclued as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 pm 

willcail wrote:
In my opinion that this could be one of the best marathon's ever. Just to be sure that the original Spaceboy is still inclued as well.

I don't know about "best marathon ever," because I am always hesitant to put the cart before the horse. But I am intrigued by most of the newer unknown titles. One thing that concerns me is that there may be a lot of video projection this year because it is expensive to make prints of independent films that don't have a distributor. Jen, did anyone tell you if these are film prints or not?

I have no problems with the current lineup, but I think we still need one or two more recognizable classics (like, say, Buckaroo Banzai) to round out the lineup. There is quite an abundance of "indie" and "2009."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Jen, did anyone tell you if these are film prints or not?

I do not know, but I would presume they are all prints...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:00 pm 

jenbowie wrote:
OUTSTANDING, I can't believe that we're getting LSRA! If it's anywhere near as good as the first, I'll love it.

As for the other one, well, as long as it's over quickly, I can live with it. :P

I sleep now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:37 pm 

The mailing list email that I just received (and normally comes several weeks before the event instead of just one) lists all the confirmed stuff and says they are waiting on "final confirmation of one more premeire."

So... so much for my idea of the one or two more "classic" films this lineup needs to make it sparkle a little more...

It's all good though, there is still some good stuff here. Like I said before, every single good marathon experience for me has been something unexpected, and it is impossible to judge a marathon based exclusively on the lineup beforehand.

See you all in a week...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:35 pm 

Right now I'm gald that there is a mixture of newer movies I've havent seen before. Right now I'm off to take a quick nap to watch Monster from a Prehistoric Planet on WCMH DT2 (4.2) at ten pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:21 pm 

In hindsight, I think I would have preferred to have not known about the new Spaceboy remake, and instead let it unfold at the marathon as a (un?)pleasant surprise.

But, by the same token, I think it was obvious that we are all starved for information, so there you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

For what it's worth, I caught the SPACEBOY reboot in front of the delirious Japanese haunted house epic HOUSE last weekend at the Wexner Center. It's a lot of fun, even if it's not a radical reworking of the original. I had a big smile on my face throughout, if only because nine years ago when I (and ace SB rebooter Mike Olenick) first saw the original I never would have thought that someone would actually remake the damn thing! From what I understand, Mike will be on hand for a Q+A, which should be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:23 pm 

I know that the powers that be probably already have their final choices in mind, but I feel the need to say something.

We've got 5 movies that were all made last year.

The two shorts being shown are also from last year.

One from 2008.

A 90s film.

Two 80s films.

And one from the 50s.

Maybe, just maybe we could try squeezing another older classic in perhaps? There's currently only one film in the lineup that's pre-1980s.

Just a mild suggestion, of course. It's just that when I compare this year's lineup to previous ones, it just looks odd to me seeing how it appears to be dominated by newer films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:30 pm 

Mecha74 wrote:
I know that the powers that be probably already have their final choices in mind, but I feel the need to say something.

We've got 5 movies that were all made last year.

The two shorts being shown are also from last year.

One from 2008.

A 90s film.

Two 80s films.

And one from the 50s.

Maybe, just maybe we could try squeezing another older classic in perhaps? There's currently only one film in the lineup that's pre-1980s.

Just a mild suggestion, of course. It's just that when I compare this year's lineup to previous ones, it just looks odd to me seeing how it appears to be dominated by newer films.

Yeah. Just like I mentioned a few posts up. But... all signs point to that ain't happening.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next